WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Insulating the underside of my hammock

Since I've last posted on my troubles with insulating the back side of my hammock, I've recently tried hammocking again using a thermarest pad in cooler weather. The thing I'm not sure of is, if it was either the sleeping pad or my new 0 degree Mountain Hardware bag I recently bought at a REI scratch and dent sale??? My last experience was using a 550 down fill Kelty bag in 40 degree temps, and it was way too chilly. My new bag is synthetic fill and not down, I wonder if the synthetic insulation doesn't compress or if it's the pad that kept my back side warm. I'm wondering if I should try a night with the bag alone and no pad, or if I should play it safe and pack the thermarest as well for added insulation???

P.S. on a side note, I registered as a member of the hammockforum.net but I still can't post or reply to any threads?

You should go to the Hammock Forum webpage. A lot of great info from those folks on hammocks.

http://www.hammockforums.net/

Do some "backyard" testing to see which one was the most effective before taking your set up on the trails.

Chances are it was the pad, not the compressed bag, but there is only one way for you to find out which is best for you, and that is to try it.

Images

I'm probably going to need a bit more info as to what you used in your first hang as far as insulation to help you out.

Also, you can check out my blog... www.watermonkey.net I have a big section dedicated to hammocking and the basics of the hammocking.

I'd also contact the site admins as to why you cant post on hammock forums.

My best,

Raul
    (Water Monkey)

You probably need to look at different Under Quilts (UQ). 2/3 length, full length, with and without pad. These attach UNDER the hammock, so zero compression, insulate your backside, plus they can be slid up or down under the hammock, venting it and such. Get over on HF and do some browsing around for UQ (they/we abbreviate a lot)
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

Raul, my first hang (where I became way too cold) was in my ENO double nest with only my 20degree rated down Kelty bag and no pad. The temps were right around 40degrees at night. This past weekend I experimented with a thermarest pad underneath my 0degree synthetic bag.

Images

@Rhjanes, I've browsed HF quite a bit, and to be honest I can hardly understand the hammocking jargon not to mention I haven't been able to reply or post any threads after being a member for 2months. Also I've emailed ENO a GAZILLION times on the temp rating of their underquilt, the ENO Ember, and have gotten precisely 0 replies. Have you or anyone else heard of a temp rating on the Eno Ember underquilt?

Images

I agree that the Hammock Forum (HF) is going to be your best source of information. If you cannot post, hopefully the administrators can help you out. They are very accommodating there; let them know you are having trouble.

There is a lot of information to weed through at HF. It took me a some time to find what I wanted there, but once I did, it made much more sense to me. Hammocks, especially underquilts and insulation underneath is different than tents and there is a learning curve. I am much happier in my hammock than on the ground. I can only encourage you to hang in there (no pun intended) and learn about it. For many people it is much more comfortable.

As for your actual question about the pad vs. synthetic sleeping bag, I would most certainly say it was the pad that made the difference. Synthetic material will still compress and loose it's insulating properties. If you are not sure, start out without the pad and see if you are cold on you back (CBS--Cold Butt Syndrom). If so, add the pad and see if that makes a difference.

Remember that pads will only insulate you on the bottom, and not so much on the sides (arms and shoulders if you lay on your back). There are pad extenders available, or underquilts. I have a winter and summer underquilt. The winter (three season) UQ has kept me warm down to 21° (it is rated to 20°), while I use the summer quilt over about 45°. They weigh less than pads and are much, much more comfortable.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Currahee D View Post
    Raul, my first hang (where I became way too cold) was in my ENO double nest with only my 20degree rated down Kelty bag and no pad. The temps were right around 40degrees at night. This past weekend I experimented with a thermarest pad underneath my 0degree synthetic bag.
    Well there it is. You absolutely need something under you other than your sleeping bag. The pad is the answer. You compress your down or synthetic bag when you lay on them so you need extra insulation for temps below 70*F

Images

Underquilt! Enjoy the comfort of the hammock!!

I started out with a pad and it worked ok.Kept me warm except for my arms when the were not under the pad,and if i fidgeted off the pad.Got an underquilt this year and its awsome.
    I walk up hills,and then walk down

The ENO Ember is currently undergoing a reworking according to the company service dept. That is why they won't respond. There are none for sale now that I could find. ENO hopes to have the new ember out for Christmas. Try the underquilt from Jacks-R-Better. I recently bought one and I love mine. Top quality and good service. Will fit a variety of hammocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Currahee D View Post
    @Rhjanes, I've browsed HF quite a bit, and to be honest I can hardly understand the hammocking jargon not to mention I haven't been able to reply or post any threads after being a member for 2months. Also I've emailed ENO a GAZILLION times on the temp rating of their underquilt, the ENO Ember, and have gotten precisely 0 replies. Have you or anyone else heard of a temp rating on the Eno Ember underquilt?

Images

Thanks, I've actually been considering a JRB underquilt, just seems a bit pricey, however I've read that the quality is outstanding. I appreciate the info regarding the Ember, I was beginning to wonder if they were intentionally ignoring me. I don't think I'll be waiting til Christmas for the revised( and hopefully better) version. Too many beautiful fall weekends between now and then to not be hanging.

Journal Entries
    Images

There's no problem honest continue to use a down compressable - 40 degree light bag or 20 if you are colder... http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/inde...=index&cPath=3 check this out... this is where I got my custom 3/4
    treat your down bag unzipped as a top quilt or Elephants Foot.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

What helped me overcome some of the "lingo" of hammocks. Go to Youtube. Put in "SHUG". He's posted a lot of "how to" hammock stuff, showing you knots, what terms mean and stuff. Including one on hammock winter camping in Minnesota! He's funny also (I believe he retired from Ringling Brothers as a clown). He has one where he rides his unicycle and launches himself INTO his hammock.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    What helped me overcome some of the "lingo" of hammocks. Go to Youtube. Put in "SHUG". He's posted a lot of "how to" hammock stuff, showing you knots, what terms mean and stuff. Including one on hammock winter camping in Minnesota! He's funny also (I believe he retired from Ringling Brothers as a clown). He has one where he rides his unicycle and launches himself INTO his hammock.
    +100. Much, much better than messing around on a pay forum. Shug's video series is best collection of free information I know of - top quality.

Images

Hammock Forums is where it's at, come on over...we'll learn ya!

A double layer hammock will let you stuff a pad or solar blanket in between. Sleeping on a pad really isn't an option, the pad and you move in opposite directions. I just tried out a piece foil backed bubble wrap type of insulation from home depot works great.

I have also used pads in the past, and they will work. As mentioned several times, you need something underneath you that will not compress. When you have compressed insulation under you (from your body weight), the insulation factor goes way down. When you add something that does not compress, such as a air filled pad, or closed cell pad, they will retain their insulating qualities. However, the problem with pads, is that you can slide off them and then you get cold spots. As mentioned underquilts, which I have moved to, are (in my opinion) the best way to avoid that. However the down side to them, is that they can cost as bit. If you check around on Hammocks Forum, and other web sites out there, you can learn how to make your own, if you are handy with sewing.

Images

So I've decided to take a dyi route and try sewing a pouch onto my Eno doublenest to slide my thermarest or air core pad into. I wonder if this combined with my bag and a tarp will be sufficient to keep warm in the coming months? Does sewing into the parachute material of the ENO hammock compromise it's durability or weight compacity?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++