WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: tyvek

Default tyvek

Read in several places how wonderful this stuff is. I was driving past a construction site today and saw some guys using it. I talked them into giving me a piece. 6ftx8ft.

Other than making a footprint for my tent, what else is this stuff good for? Could I sew a pack cover? or a rain suit? Since it is so light could I make a huge tarp by adding gromets at the corners?

It looks to me like the possibilities are nearly endless......btw, I put a request on FreeCycle for another piece.

--Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by OBXWaMi View Post
    Read in several places how wonderful this stuff is. I was driving past a construction site today and saw some guys using it. I talked them into giving me a piece. 6ftx8ft.

Other than making a footprint for my tent, what else is this stuff good for? Could I sew a pack cover? or a rain suit? Since it is so light could I make a huge tarp by adding gromets at the corners?

It looks to me like the possibilities are nearly endless......btw, I put a request on FreeCycle for another piece.

--Michelle
    Jester made a twister board with his tyvek

Wind chimes.

Journal Entries

Oil it up & use it as a slip & slide! I worked at an 84 lumber yard few years back & we made a huge Tipi out of it, worked better than some of the tents I used to own.

Images

There are many types of tyvek. The stuff used for clothing is much softer and less crinkly and less abrasive than the house construction stuff. The soft stuff makes much nicer ground cloths and tarps.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Even the construction stuff (crinkly) is good. It becomes more pliable with use.

Journal Entries

Marathon Runners and Adventure Race Enthusiasts use it for wind shirts, jackets, pants, and a variety of other things. I think it could make a great lightweight shelter/tarp that is lightweight for emergencies much like you would use a piece of cuben, but not nearly as durable I think. I use mine as a ground blanket when sitting if it is damp, or laying around the campfire. I want to make a down and dirty bivy cover to keep in my day pack for all of the above and use it if I decide to crash for the night. Get creative, it is a wonderful lightweight material. I personally like the Kite material better as it is soft, yet strong.

Billie Blazes

Images

Ground tarps seems to be its best use as far as hikers are concerned.

Whats over the next hill? Pioneer Spirit's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You make a nice cut to fit foot print for your Hubba. Then when you get on the trail realize you brought the negative scrap piece instead.
    Of course that's my opinion and I could be wrong.
    Buckeye Trail 2,700 miler.

People on the backpacking light site have made a number of nice bivy sacks. I think the Tarptent Moment comes in tyvek. And wasn't there a barefoot hiker with all tyvek gear on the AT a number of years ago? Yeah, here's a picture I found of him. Everything he's got is tyvek!
    DSCF6959.JPG
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

CF97 > Everything Else.

When I cut my footprint for me tent I am going sew a pocket on the bottom that my sleeping bag can fit into...similar to a bivy sack. That way I can slip my bag into it incase I'm sleeping in a shelter with heavy rains.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

I use it for a footprint under my hammock.

tyvek is water resistant not waterproof

Tyvek, Tyvek...
    Tyvek is a brand not a single product
    The bit from a construction site would be a type of Homewrap, the Tyvek used by marathon runners and Tarptent is of the soft (clothing) type, softer, a lot more breathable but less waterproof.
    BTW the Tarptent available in Tyvek is the Sublite, great for hot and or humid weather not recommended if prolonged heavy rains are the sort of weather you expect.
    Franco

sorry, tyvek homewrap is not waterproof :-)
    its meant to be fastened to your house, vertically, and the water runs off of it.

best ground cloth i ever used was the clear plastic with the reinforced yarn weaved into it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    sorry, tyvek homewrap is not waterproof :-)
    its meant to be fastened to your house, vertically, and the water runs off of it.
    fill a piece with water. hang it in your tub and see how long it holds water. mine was 7 days no drips????
    ,but i guest your in the construction field like me and know what your talking about
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Flipping through a UNLINE catalog (they sell mostly shipping supplies), I found they carry Tyvek protective clothing - and it's not too expensive. I'm thinking of getting the lab coat. ($5.00 each, min order of 5) They also have sleeves (keep your arms dry if you use a poncho for rain gear) and pants. The coverall with hood might be good for extream conditions.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Opps, that ULINE...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

CrumbSnatcher
    To put it another way...
    clothing Tyvek is less water resistant but breathes better than Homewrap and other types of Tyvek .
    I was just pointing out that the comments one one type may not apply to another.
    Franco

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++