WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Solo VS 2 Person Tent and Suggestions

I can not decide whether to go with a solo/one man tent or to go with a 2 person tent. The rest of this season I will be hiking alone and I could always buy a larger tent next year if I hiked with friends. I want to keep the weight as low as possible. I think I have decided that a freestanding tent is the way to go. Also if I go with a 2 person tent I have been told to go with one that has 2 doors and 2 vestibules. I would also like to be able to use the rain fly and the footprint for ultralight trips.

I can buy a larger tent later so this tent is more for myself but I want plenty of room and it may be beneficial to have the extra room just in case I had to squeeze one more person in. Any suggestions as far as solo or two man would be appreciated as well as tent brands, models, specs, and things to be mindful of.

I wont answer your question cause I dont have enough info yet. What I will ask is how much do you want to spend? How much do you want it to weigh? How big are you? Also search the forums cause all of us have made this same thread. Good luck.

guessing 17 posts til someone gets you off the ground.
    Last edited by Chubbs4U; 09-27-2011 at 23:36.

Images

I hate to say money isn't an issue bc I want to spend as little as possible but if it costs more for better quality, lighter, etc then I'll do it. Same with weight, I want as light as I can get but still being functional and convenient. If I was just looking for light weight I'd be going with "The One" by Gossamer Gear. I'm 6' tall 160 lbs.

Images

Don't worry about fitting another person (unless you have actual plans to hike with somebody). If your intention is going solo just get a solo tent. Some tents are snug so you might go with the 2-person version, like the Big Agnes Fly Creek. There are light tents that are moderately priced (Tarptents for example).

Images

A 2 person, 2 door, 2 vestibule tent is overated. If it's just you most of the time, then a solo shelter would serve you well. Also consider that a 2p, 2d, 2v tent has a big footprint. A small footprinted solo shelter will allow you more campsite options. I'm a big guy... 6'5" 250+ lbs, and I own a Big Agnes Copper Spur 2, a Tarptent Double Rainbow, and a Tarptent Moment. I've found that the Moment works for me most of the time. Small footprint, but big enough for me and my gear inside. Lightweight,, just over 2 lbs. And not too expensive. There are other tents that fit these parameters, but for me, the Moment is righteous! I have the liner, which gives me double wall protection for just a few more ounces.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Images

For a single person tent with plenty of room let me suggest the Rainbow by Tarptent.
    It can be freestanding or staked out and is big enough to squeeze in a second person in an emergency.
    See the tarptent website for details.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

MSR hubba solo would be too small for you, I know. The hubbas are my choice. I like the hubba hubba but that's a lot of weight for solo hiking. If it's just you, even a non freestanding 2 man Tarptent for 2 lbs would be good. The only reason I went to the hubba solo is b/c I had a hard time in certain terrain anchoring the tent well. Esp in wind. Condensation for one man is not a big issue, but for two men in it, it would be.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Hike smarter, not harder.

Get both. You can never have too many tents. And I'm guessing #14.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    A 2 person, 2 door, 2 vestibule tent is overated. If it's just you most of the time, then a solo shelter would serve you well. Also consider that a 2p, 2d, 2v tent has a big footprint. A small footprinted solo shelter will allow you more campsite options. I'm a big guy... 6'5" 250+ lbs, and I own a Big Agnes Copper Spur 2, a Tarptent Double Rainbow, and a Tarptent Moment. I've found that the Moment works for me most of the time. Small footprint, but big enough for me and my gear inside. Lightweight,, just over 2 lbs. And not too expensive. There are other tents that fit these parameters, but for me, the Moment is righteous! I have the liner, which gives me double wall protection for just a few more ounces.
    Im shorter and a little lighter but may I ask why you went with all 3? What do you use the most, the least, which could you give up? I once had this question and ended up with a rainbow that I love. I do like the idea of 2 doors though. Also check out Skyscape X.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs4U View Post
    Im shorter and a little lighter but may I ask why you went with all 3? What do you use the most, the least, which could you give up? I once had this question and ended up with a rainbow that I love. I do like the idea of 2 doors though. Also check out Skyscape X.
    why all 3? because I have a gear addiction,, haha. Seriously,, they were bought at different times. The D.Rainbow was bought first, then the BA Copper Spur2. These were bought while I still felt it was necessary to have a 2 man tent. Before the DR, I had a Eureka Backcountry2 and K2 XT,,, before that was a Walmart special. In the last few years, I've been lightening the load, and was looking for something smaller. Along came the Moment, and I fell in love. I realize now I don't really need 2 doors/vestibules. The only time I really use the 2 man tents are when I'm on a "camping" trip, not a "hiking" trip, especially if I'm sharing my tent w/ someone. In those cases, I prefer the BA Copper Spur2. I could give up the DR.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Journal Entries

I have been in the same boat. I have several tents: Eureka 2 man, 3 man, and Solitaire; as well as an REI Bivy. I wanted to get my weight down but remain dry and comfortable on a long hike. I like the TarpTent Rainbow as someone pointed out above. I have slept under the stars and in a bag covered wrapped in a tarp during heavy snow. i found that I was warm and dry no matter what the circumstances as I chose my bag, location, and cover properly. That all being said, I choose to go the Tarp and Bug Net Route. I liked how the BearPaw Wilderness Designs options came together for me. I ordered a Canopy 2 Tarp and a NetTent which John at BPWD custom fitted with Cuben in a 1.5 man NetTent to keep my size and weight down. This setup should give me more room as I am a big guy (6'1 230). I can also accommodate a smaller visitor as I have two young sons and a dog of which one may come along for a longer trip, but most ofter not. If the gang were to come, then we would split out the two or three man tent to share the load. Hope this helps.

Billie Blazes

Images

I also wanted a little extra space without gaining too much additional weight and opted for the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 2. I've been really satisfied with this tent over the past five years and only have one complaint - the entry. The "tunnel" style is kind of a pain in the neck sometimes; crawl in, turnaround, reverse to exit. That said, it is very stable and quiet when it's really windy and the foot end is pointed into the wind.

Images

Get a one person. Sleeping with someone in your tight 2 person stinks...literally. Unless of course you will be doing more than sleeping...

Journal Entries

ozark mountain 2-person 7x7 all i need to say

For a solo have you looked into Lightheart's SoLong tent? Her 2 person tent weighs less than most solo's. Seeing you height, I just thought of the Lightheart SoLong,

I used to be all about having a 2 person tent. But after some time and realization, I don't need one that bog for solo trips. I'm pretty much in the tent to sleep and wait out rain/bad weather.
    As mentioned, a 2 person tent has a bigger footprint and might limit your options on were to pitch. And saving the extra weight is nice when you don't need it.
    Granted I still take one of my many 2 person tents out on short solo trips. When I go with my GF I take a 2 person. Her and the dogs, a 3 person.
    Maybe just start collecting tents. Works for me.
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bwillits View Post
    I can not decide whether to go with a solo/one man tent or to go with a 2 person tent... I want to keep the weight as low as possible... I think I have decided that a freestanding tent is the way to go... if I go with a 2 person tent I have been told to go with one that has 2 doors and 2 vestibules... I would also like to be able to use the rain fly and the footprint for ultralight trips.
    This sounds exactly like me several years ago. If indeed you are like me, then you'll probably be reluctant as I was to consider what my ultimate resolution was... a hammock.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Not sure if he did it on purpose but 17 on the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs4U View Post
    Not sure if he did it on purpose but 17 on the nose.
    C'mon Chubbs! You and Scope are in this together. What's the split on the pot? 50-50?
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    C'mon Chubbs! You and Scope are in this together. What's the split on the pot? 50-50?
    LOL I do not know scope but I do think he did it so that I was right. For the record there was no collusion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++