WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

Default Internet Purists

Hydro, who is hiking NoBo this year but took some time off to recouperate from giardia like symptoms, recieved an email from someone telling her "I hope you're not still calling yourself a Thru-Hiker since you've taken so much time off the trail."

I actually became sick to my stomach when I heard this. Are people so intent upon causing each other misery and woe that they feel the need to contact a complete stranger and piss in thier proverbial Wheaties?

I just hope folks can realize that the people you'll meet on the AT and those who skulk in the shadows of the internet AT are very different critters.
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wacocelt
    I just hope folks can realize that the people you'll meet on the AT and those who skulk in the shadows of the internet AT are very different critters.

Ain't that the truth!

For those new to this community: Don't let what you see on the Internet effect your AT experience. The Internet is a helpful tool for planning on the AT and in staying in touch with the members of the hiking community; but it ain't the AT.

Personally, I think anyone who sends an e-mail out of the blue like that is probably a jackass.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by wacocelt
    Hydro, who is hiking NoBo this year but took some time off to recouperate from giardia like symptoms, recieved an email from someone telling her "I hope you're not still calling yourself a Thru-Hiker since you've taken so much time off the trail."

I actually became sick to my stomach when I heard this. Are people so intent upon causing each other misery and woe that they feel the need to contact a complete stranger and piss in thier proverbial Wheaties?

Some may be on the trail, too. I remember that someone saw a moose while being shuttled to a trailhead from a hostel. Another thruhiker told her she "couldn't say she saw a moose on her thruhike" because she wasn't actually on the AT at the time.

There is a lot more of it on the internet, though, as you say. I think perhaps it is because the internet is so impersonal and we forget that we are actually talking with people. I met one frequent poster in person. I was a bitapprehensive based on his posts. In person, he was just a normal human being and we had a good talk. A week later on-line he flamed me because I had an opinion he didn't hold.

I've posted some things I wish I hadn't. At times all of us forget there are real-live people behind the userIDs, but I guess some never put the two together.

The thing to do is forget it because it isn't personal. It's just the way some people are, and they aren't going to change.
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Mags

Personally, I think anyone who sends an e-mail out of the blue like that is probably a jackass.
    I agree, but would change the word probably to read - definitely.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Journal Entries
    Images

Wacocelt--

FYI, Looks like someone copied you post over at Trailforums.com, but under a different name.

Taking a look at Hydro's guestbook on Trailjournals, it looks like 100% of the comments were positive, as they should be! It takes guts to get back on the Trail and that hiker deserves everyone's support. From what I see, the internet folks are giving it in spades.

In her journal she commented that a couple people had asked here about whether or not she would start again at Springer to be "Pure". Is that what you are talking about?

I'm not suggesting that there aren't idiots out there, but what you are describing seems so over the top, it does make me wonder.

Rick B

Images

No Rick, my real name is Christopher, I posted it there also. She recieved an actual email from some knucklehead who just couldn't keep thier $.02 to themselves.

It's this type of pomp and circumstance that has made me decide that I really DON'T want to hike the entire AT in one year. If walking every inch of the AT puts me in company with snobbish people who make remarks like that then I'm outta the GaMe. I wouldn't cross the street for a 2,000 miler certificate now.

Images

IMO, if I was thru-hiking (which I plan to do eventually) and missed, say, 2 or 3 miles of the AT for blue-blazing or some other unforseen reason, I'm not going to have any less of an experience than a hiker who walks every inch of the trail, even if I miss a vista somewhere. (For instance, I've climbed good old Blood Mtn. in GA 50 billion times. If it's cloudy with no view and I want to take the bypass trail around it to cut out a climb, so what???) The mountains are the mountains, plain and simple, and if I make it from GA to ME somehow, some way by hiking, it's all good to me.

Yeah, yeah, I know...somebody's gonna post it...HYOH.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks, Wacoclet.

Were I attending the bi-annual ATC meeting this year I would risk looking like an idiot and put forth a motion for the ATC to get out of the 2,000 Miler business. Anyone can bring up anything for a vote on the floor.

It might not pass, but a resolution might get the ATC to move a bit closer to that eventuality.

Your reaction is reason enough.

Rick B

Images

Your reaction is reason enough.
    Nah, I'm prone to over-reacting and running of at the mouth. Perhaps that's why it bothers me so much when others do it?

Bleh, two weeks or so and I get to start hiking again with my lovely hiker trash wife and once again be oblivious to all the interweb AT drama which has become so virulent the last few years.

It all goes back to control.

I have seen it every single time I have hiked from "ga to Maine"...no matter how I do it, but hiking my own hike the whole time mind you....which means I let the adventure have its way with me, but as in all forms of life, you have miserable arsehose who only think 'their' way is the only way, and if it isnt that way it is wrong.

It saddens and sickens me that every time you will hear these kinds of convos at shelters, at hostels, in reasturants...people who want to judge and cant lose that "You Must Do It Like I do It" mentallity should stay home, or after hiking for a while when they realize they still haven been humbled, they should either go home, or take a vow of silence.

This hike is about the JOURNEY....let me repeat that...ITS ABOUT THE JOURNEY...not racing from GA to ME as fast as you can...its about the small things, the spiritual mental and physical journey that will reach out and touch you in the best of ways...some people are just dicks...thats how it is.

I laugh at them all...I dont care who you are, how you hike, how you got ahead or behind me, or vice versa...when I see you in town, I'll buy you a beer...if you are at the shelter when I get there, I'll hand you a beer that I just lugged up from the town...and I will not give a flyin eff how you got there...but I will be glad to see you.

Purists are great, blueblazers are great, yellowblazers are great, aquablazers are great...hikers who do their thing without judgement on others are great....the Holier then thou can go to hell.

See you out there soon Christo---Im hiking out of Helen in a week give or take, and I can promise you I will take a Blue Blaze, I will yellow blaze, and If I can find me a river running the right direction before Damascus, Ill Aqua blaze...

Images

Default Amen

AMEN LK...great post.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    Were I attending the bi-annual ATC meeting this year I would risk looking like an idiot and put forth a motion for the ATC to get out of the 2,000 Miler business.
    ==============================================
    Rick ...just curious, is all the consternation over the "2000 Miler" business or the "Thru-Hiker" definition ?? Seems like "2000 Miles" is pretty cut and dried point (even though the exact mileage of the AT varies from year to year) but the whole "Thru-Hiker" thing appears to fuel many fires.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    ==============================================
    Rick ...just curious, is all the consternation over the "2000 Miler" business or the "Thru-Hiker" definition ?? Seems like "2000 Miles" is pretty cut and dried point (even though the exact mileage of the AT varies from year to year) but the whole "Thru-Hiker" thing appears to fuel many fires.

'Slogger
    I think it is the 2000 miler personally. Thru-hiker is a loose thing, but since the 2000 miler definition reads the way it does, some feel that if you miss a whiteblaze because you choose to take an alternate route then you no longer can be a 2000 miler, and thusly not a thru-hiker.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Personally, I've tried to switch from using the term "thruhiker" to the term "distance hiker". So, rather than thruhiking, I'm distance hiking. Or, a long distance hiker. Or, better yet, just a hiker. Since what qualifies as a long distance hike is purely subjective, this seems to avoid any notion of purity or puritanical rants.

Oh, and by the way, I've yet to hear a conversation in a shelter go something like, "Oh my God! You're averaging only 12 miles a day? You're not hiking the AT in the right way!"

On the other hand, I've heard, several times, comments like, "Oh my God! You're averaging 20 miles a day? You're not hiking the AT in the right way!"

The point, as many have pointed out, is the journey itself, not the numbers that go along with it. However, if you want to attach a name to yourself (i.e, thruhiker, purist, etc), you'll need to conform to the common usage of the term. That is, if you want a merit badge you'll have to follow the rules. If you just care about the journey, there is no reason for a merit badge.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    I think it is the 2000 miler personally. Thru-hiker is a loose thing, but since the 2000 miler definition reads the way it does, some feel that if you miss a whiteblaze because you choose to take an alternate route then you no longer can be a 2000 miler, and thusly not a thru-hiker.
    =====================================
    Thanks Rock ...I can see that now. Just goes to show you though how differently people can look at things. Another way to look at is is that the AT is over 2000 miles long. So ...it is possible to skip a few miles here and there but still get from Springer to Katahdin and have hiked 2000 miles. I guess to some the "2000 Miler" thing has become synonomous with "Thru-Hiking". To me at least ...that is somewhat of a misnomer.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Almost every journal on TJ's gets some defamation or stupid comments from misreble people who are jealous that you're out there and they're sitting at a computer. It's the same reason why quarrels get started on this site. People are bored and wishing they were elsewhere. Someone signed my journal and said "Nice journal, why bother" and was too coward to sign their name. I've seen the sweetest, most innocent hikers ripped into for no reason. There are just jerks out there.

As far as purism goes, there are always gonna be some folks who care, and some folks who don't. You gotta just go out there and enjoy urself and worry about urself and no one else. I've witnessed hikers bashing others cuz they are lazy and slow and not into miles, and I've seen the opposite, having laid-back hikers criticizing faster hikers who want to hike the trail in 4 months-neither one can understand why the other doesn;t wanna hike like them. To me, there are tons of different ways to hike the trail. I'm sure I'll eventually get back to the AT. I'd love to participate in a speed hike of 3-4 months and I'd love to take 7 months and stay at every nice campsite. For those who only get one shot, it's about finding a balance and making urself happy. Thats all you can do.

It seems that there is a couple folks over on trailforums who is adament about bringing others down and reveling in what they deem "failure". Just a couple days/weeks ago there were multiple posts about how all the january starters had "quit". Why someone would start a post like that, I can't even imagine, but unfortunately some people have the balls to criticize people who are undertaking a huge adventure, but also doing it in sub-freezing temperatures, and spending most day and night alone. It's not an easy thing and I've got admiration for anyone who goes out and gives it a shot, be it in july or january. Better than sitting at a computer.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    =====================================
    Thanks Rock ...I can see that now. Just goes to show you though how differently people can look at things. Another way to look at is is that the AT is over 2000 miles long. So ...it is possible to skip a few miles here and there but still get from Springer to Katahdin and have hiked 2000 miles. I guess to some the "2000 Miler" thing has become synonomous with "Thru-Hiking". To me at least ...that is somewhat of a misnomer.

'Slogger
    I agree. There is sort of a general feeling beginning out there that the ATC should get out of the business of recognizing 2,000 milers and stick to trail conservancy. If groups like the ALDHA want to recognize thru-hiker, 2,000 miler status, or whatever, let them do it.

Maybe the Center for Appalachian Trail Studies would want a "No Trail Magic, Pure, No Cell Phone, No Gun, No Dog - Did it the Right Way" patch. But that would be one big patch

I already posted my patch - "Stop Sniveling, Start Hiking - As long as your walking, it is all good!"
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Default Internet purist

well I like what a buddy called wolf said Im not thrue hiking so put a white blaze on that you purist hiker kentucky! just a wandering hiker cause i get lost sometimes and usually find my way back!

Maybe it wouldn't be quite as confusing (for some) if the A.T. followed the proceedure of the Long Trail and just call people who finish "end-to-end" hikers. Probably there are some northbound A.T. hikers who think they can stop when they see that big "2000 Mi." in the middle of the road in Maine.

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Post Thru-opinions

First let me say that anybody who would send an email to a hiker regarding the manner in which they hike has to be a donkey's southern terminus. Hey, Fubar....think you could get that persons email address for me ?
    -----------------
    If the ATC did stop officially recognizing 2,000 milers/ thru-hikers and ALDHA took up the "record" keeping would anything really change ? The mass majority of the people that wanted a thru-hiker certificate would still not be honest about what it is they claim. Make no mistake about this people, the 2,000 miler patch's refers to those that thru-hike. They don't use the years current milage to keep from having to change the patches all the time. Thus usuing the term 2,000 miler is much easier to do. Also, the ATC uses the patches and thru-hiker certificates as a revenue making item. I don't see them giving it up in the near future. Back to ALDHA. I'd love for them to take up the patch/certificate issue. I believe they would be able to set official rules for such a thing without giving into the masses need for EVERYBODY being counted as a thru-hiker. They don't really care about increasing their membership thus they can afford to take a firm stand on the issue one way or another.

In the end just HYOH , don't lie about what you didn't do, and don't let the white blazes keep you bound if you want to go exploring off of the A.T. I thru-hiked in 2003 and found the time to blue blaze plenty. The group I thru-hiked with for the most part were the blue blazin/ yellow blazin type.
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++