WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default UL reccomendations

Hey guys and gals,

Just startin to get into UL backpacking and am just looking for some words of wisdom. I'm planning a 2013 PCT hike and was looking at backpacks and sleeping pads. I've been looking at the GG mariposa plus and the ULA Circuit. I'm leaning towards the GG because it looks like it is going to be around 10-13 oz lighter and its a bit cheaper (i don't really care about the belt pockets too much), but im worried about the extra weight with carrying a bear canister and the long stretch without resupply in the High Sierra. I'm looking to get my base weight (minus the canister) into the 7lb range, and with the gear i have and plan on ordering, i'm pretty sure i'll be able to manage it.

Second, i'm open to any considerations as far as sleeping pads go. I've been rockin a hammock with an underquilt (oh so warm and comfortable) for a long time, so i really don't have much experience with pads. Looking for something 3/4 length, light but still good for snow in the sierras.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Winnie '11

Ounces are the little-death

7lb baseweight and this is your first start in going light?
    I wish I began like that.

Well on paper it is, but i'm probably going to be above it. All day at work, i go through my AT gear list and think if im missing anything in my weight calculations. Most likely i am.

Images

Check out the neoair... pricey but it seems to be the lightest and most compact pad out there.

Ounces are the little-death

I don't think I've seen a bad review of the Mariposa, if that helps. I haven't owned one myself, though.

Man! Well you asked so I'd go with the ULA Circuit. I have sold my GG Mariposa plus. I just could not get the load to my hips like I can with the Circuit. The Mariposa is a very nice, well made pack but comparing those two the Circuit wins by a mile. Yes it weighs more but the ride with any weight in it disappears. The only thing is that with a UL base weight of 7 lbs you are going to find it is huge! I am at 11 lbs base and never use the Circuit to capacity (except in winter when I carry more everything ). Still it's about the comfort of having food and extra water and the 22lbs feels like nothing for a 3 season hike. And for a mat-Neoair baby, Neoair!

Images

Well if we are going UL may I suggest the OHM if your base weight is below 10lbs. Carried 5 days of food in this thing and it handled very well. over 25lbs gets a tad bit uncomfortable in the hip belt area though but after you eat it down to 20lbs or less its like it isn't even on your back.

Images

Wow! 7 lbs! I am happy to have a winter base weight of 13 lbs or so. Sounds like you are doing fine. I did read someone post that the Bear Vault mysteriously fit perfectly into a Circuit. I love my ULA, but am not familiar with the Mariposa, though it was on my short list.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I have a Mariposa Plus and a Circuit. I think the Mariposa is more comfortable to me with my normal load. That being said, I think the Circuit does better on the upper end of it's weight range, or overloaded. Bottom line is, if I'm going in mountains, I take the Mariposa. If I'm going into desert, or rough terrain, or may need to carry extra water, I take the Circuit. Both great packs, from exceptional companies.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

The most ultralite thing I can think of that you left out is...

Not worrying about it so much! Worrying too much about gear is a heavy burden for such a long trip. Enjoy your time out there, whats another few #'s anyways?
    -milkman

got soul?

Images

GG is coming out with the Crown 60 pack spring 2012. 3600ci, 2lbs. 2 oz, replaces the Vapor Trail I used on my hike. I will be using this pack on the CT next summer. Pads, I used the Neo Air and was thrilled to get into my bag evbery night.

Images

why do you need a sleeping pad? are you giving up on the hammock for the thru? idk much about the pct. isn't it feasible to hang your way through it?

i don't think the OHM will fit a bear can in it. i'd also consider MLD's exodus in your short list.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=103

zpacks also has some thru hike proven packs that you may want to consider.

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks.shtml
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Garlic
    Images

Consider the relatively short time you'll be carrying the bear cannister, especially if you hike out to Independence and can pick it up there. My pack at the time was very similar to the GG Mariposa. It was just a little uncomfortable with the bear cannister, but not impossibly so, and it was great the other 90% of the hike. GG makes a great pack and has great service--so does ULA, of course, but GG is definitely not lacking in that regard.

I started using the Z-rest on the PCT and have never used anything else since. I cut mine down to six sections at one ounce per section, and get two pads out of one long one. And it's doubtful you'll actually have to sleep on snow in the Sierra. In an average year, it's easy and desirable to camp below snowline every night. If you know ahead of time you'll have extra heavy snow cover, you can bring a second pad just for that section. I use a length of Reflectix duct insulation for my second pad when I snow camp.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Thanks for all the info everyone, i made my decision and am gonna go with the mariposa. Ill let you all know how it is.

i hope to be on the PCT in '13 as well buddy. but, after the At this year, i wouldn't rely on a GG pack to be comfortable on the whole trip, or to even make the whole trip! also, don't get a neo air! they deflate like all hell ( i went through 2 within 1000 miles on the At this year and went to a hammock/underquilt) and thermarest is awful with exchanges. though they are comfortable as hell, they are garbage! just deal with a closed foam pad for the desert, and rock the hammock for the rest! until they make the neo-air more durable, NEVER RELY ON IT FOR AN EXTENDED HIKE!

++ New Posts ++