WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Buying Patagonia Jacket

I get pro deals on anything Patagonia and I'm trying to decide on a jacket to buy. I want a warm jacket for my thru-hike next year. If you could buy any Patagonia jacket which would you buy?

CF97 > Everything Else.

If you let me in on your pro deals -- I'll tell you!

I kid, I kid... kinda.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Micro Puff - lightweight, warm, synthetic insulation keeps you warm even when wet. The best garment I own.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

I picked up a nanopuff 1/4 zip pullover at a closeout sale for $75 last year. Might not be warm enough for a thru with an early start, but is a great layer for most of my 3 season needs. I think it's a decent value at $75, not so much at $150 list. I'd love to pick up a full zip version at the same price.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Down sweater or Houdini (or better yet, both.)
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Thanks, I think the Micro Puff jacket will be perfect!

Images

I got a nano puff 1/4 for xmas and liked it so much I got the down sweater full zip version at clearance this summer. I used one and my step-son the other while on the CT this summer. I recomend both. Now I would avoid any Patagonia shell without goretex. I bought one of their rain jackets about 4 years ago with their propriety water proof and it had zero breathability. When doing a September hike on the AT near standing indian in a driving rain, I was wetter on the inside from sweat than the outside of the jacket. I think they are using goretex or event now, but they will be priced accordingly. The puff and down sweater both make great layering jackets, by time you add a long sleeve shirt, puff, and a shell, I would think you should be ok on the AT. (unless one of those bad late storms comes in).

Journal Entries

I love my full zip nano puff. But its too heavy for hiking at 12 oz when the montbell ul thermawrap weighs 2.7 oz less. It is slightly warmer than the thermawrap though.

The things you would probably most use, would be a houdini windshirt, and a R1 hoody. A nano-half zip or nano hoody would add another layer of insul. A hardshell on top would complete the ensemble.

Patagonia hardshells are kinda hvy though.

++ New Posts ++