WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Images

Default what to do when you need to upchuck

LNT has established guidelines for human waste, but does this include vomit?Are you allowed to vomit within 200 ft of trails and campgrounds? can you vomit above treeline in the Whites?Can you vomit in a privy?should you pack it out or bury it in a cathole?How far from a shelter should you be should the bile begin to rise?If youre in a shelter, is it appropriate to ask other hikers if they mind while you puke?should it be put in a bear bag?do shelter mice like vomit?
    I have so many questions, it makes my stomach turn.

I've hurled several times on various backpacking trips---all due to food poisoning or foul water ingestion. Puked four times near Mt Rogers after drinking tainted cow water. Miserable night. Puked thru the night in the tent vestibule. One time I ate some bad brazil nuts and puked. Another time I ate some fetid vegetarian chili and hurled in a 360 spray. The worst is when you both hurl and squirt feces at the same exact time. Welcome to planet earth.

When you gotta, it's going to happen, no matter where!

Puked on the trail climbing out of Stecoah Gap...think it was the climb up Jacob's Ladder. What a waste of a Wesser Burger!

I try and wait until I am in New York.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Puked on the trail climbing out of Stecoah Gap...think it was the climb up Jacob's Ladder. What a waste of a Wesser Burger!
    Now that's the best place to puke if ya gotta puke. It's the fight or flight response---you hurl to lighten the load. BTW, I heard the notoriously stiff climb has been switchbacked recently? Is this true?

In my opinion, in this situation, you should get off the trail, away from the shelter including the privy, away from any water sources of course, as far as away as you can, 200-300' if possible, then hurl away. It's unpleasant, unfortunate, and in the heat of the moment, sometimes unavoidable. Get as far away from other people, places and things as you can, then get it over with. If you can cover it or bury it with leaves and dirt, that's a nice finishing touch. As penance, be especially careful with all your other LNT efforts.
    virgil

Images

Quote Originally Posted by virgil View Post
    In my opinion, in this situation, you should get off the trail, away from the shelter including the privy, away from any water sources of course, as far as away as you can, 200-300' if possible, then hurl away. It's unpleasant, unfortunate, and in the heat of the moment, sometimes unavoidable. Get as far away from other people, places and things as you can, then get it over with. If you can cover it or bury it with leaves and dirt, that's a nice finishing touch. As penance, be especially careful with all your other LNT efforts.
    Sounds very reasonable to me.
    Seek, and you shall find.

Be carefull if you have dentures. Some guy staying at Gray Knob while I was caretaker had too much to drink and went out side for something. He ended up puking and lost his teeth between some big rocks. I do belive 20+ years later, they are still down there...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

this is crazy

Images

Should you leave the trail to fart? Remember that will leave traces of methane!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    always carry matches!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Nah, just light it and boil up some water for ramen. Or if it's a real big one, face in the direction of travel and light 'er off. Brings new meaning to the term blue blazing.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    always carry matches!!
    Burning down the forest leaves a HUGE trace!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Be carefull if you have dentures. Some guy staying at Gray Knob while I was caretaker had too much to drink and went out side for something. He ended up puking and lost his teeth between some big rocks. I do belive 20+ years later, they are still down there...
    It's denture week here at WB.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    It's denture week here at WB.
    Its actually the denture post that inspired me, after reading that every possible question has now been answered on WB. I thought"no puke?"
    PS remember to floss

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

But what if the puke is used for good, like to extinguish a campfire?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    But what if the puke is used for good, like to extinguish a campfire?
    I have used human stool for good, so I'm sure puke can be used for good. If so, does it leave a trace?

Images

To truly follow LNT, you would have to have your ziplock handy and puke into that.

Then, pack it out.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++