WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

All this homeless talk of being on the trail has got me wondering, has anyone contemplated being a hobo and visiting your dream list of trails across the country? It could be done with a little imagination and a lot of luck.

Images

They got a name for that (it's called a bum)

Homeless hiking-- totally possible! I left high school three years ago and was homeless for a little over half a year. I hitchhiked across the United States, lived on my own in California and experienced a ton of fantastic stuff. I slept NEAR rest stops on the road, stealth camped in the woods, stopped in to stores to supply on food and more. There were tough times too, scary times but for those of us who have lived a sheltered life, it was a breath of fresh air and completely what I needed. I'm here, so that goes to show that everything turned out alright. I felt so strangled when being pulled apart by my significant other and my family at the time... what I needed was to be ME and to have room to breath. It opened me up to so many things and I had a wonderful time but that was simply the path I chose to take and in a sense, it chose me. I'd only do this if you feel it's necessary-- look into you and find what you want most and pursue it, don't second guess yourself.

In all sincerity, the best times I've experienced in life and what awakened me, totally opened up my eyes, were when I was homeless and hitchhiking and hiking in America. However, that said, it was something I needed for a period of time and I came to having a different life afterwards. I'm in a strange situation right now but I'm married, I have a job, I'm happy and all things considered, life has always been good to me. I'm quite happy. I don't listen to anyone who says they know better than me for what's best for me-- I figure that out, one day at a time, by my own experience. I definitely don't listen to anyone who says there is only one tried and true way to be happy or to be successful-- success is what you feel.

With a little money saved up and some imagination, great things can happen. It doesn't take much cash, you can live on very little. I suggest looking into the book Vagabonding by Ralph Potts-- truly interesting and entertaining. Remember this, it's your life and you can change it whenever and wherever you wish. Just have patience, have faith in yourself and know that you are a good person and you have the right to the pursuit of happiness. Things will work out. Take care and love to you.

*left high school 8 years ago. lol.

A bit more just to show that things work out... I settled down in San Francisco for a short while living with a friend, moved to the midwest by myself (lived in North Dakota... brr...) and then to Pennsylvania away from my family. I've been through college and have my debts paid off, am married now, without kids and I feel free, still, to move through life in whatever direction I please. There's only one responsibility you have in life and that is to gain self-knowledge. I gained a lot of self-knowledge through travel and meeting others and through experience and afterwards I gained responsibilities that I found were a real joy. I don't feel that I "need" to do anything, I do it out of a feeling of bliss because I feel it deep in my core.
    Much of my feelings came about because of Zen... looking into it, I found it harmonized the world for me and it made me better.

Much love, wish you well, whatever you choose.

CF97 > Everything Else.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Beat me with a stick It was the first thing and I went looking for the best photo, He is by clear the best at Hide & Seek and backcountry Hobo.

Attachment 14029
    UGH! People do love them some Eric Rudolph. Bin Laden has Rudoplph beat without question in the game of hide and seek!

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of a man by the name of Poppa Neutrino? He practically spent his entire life homeless yet he had a wife, family and had a book written about him and two documenteries done on him. He built a raft out of wood he found from the Streets of New York City and sailed it across the atlantic. He supported himself & family by Busking, playing music in the streets. He wasn't a backpacker but he led a life free of convention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppa_Neutrino
    YES!! Neutrino's story is pretty amazing.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Wow, Just a Hiker. I'd love to hear more.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

I know there are speed records for NOBO and SOBO. is there one for HOBO?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mizirlou View Post
    SMSP, pls clear up the meaning of your tag “South MS Patriot” -- izzat a Sovereign Citizen thingy? Eric Rudolph dug that ideology. Now he’s doing life in a supermax prison: ADX Florence.

http://lfeffortposts.wordpress.com/2.../adx-florence/
    South MS Patriot (SMSP) means that I am from South Mississippi, I live on the MS Gulf Coast. The South six counties is commonly referred to as South Mississippi. The Patriot part is just that; I love, support and will defend our country, although our country has a lot of problems, it is still the greatest country in the world at the moment.

It has nothing to do with citizen sovereignty type stuff. Rudolph is a murderer and no patriot.

When I started becoming a part of different internet discussions and was thinking of a signature, that’s what came to mind.
    Thanks for asking…

SMSP
    South MS Patriot

Images

I do appreciate everyone’s responses. I think I was just having a bad day the other day and was venting, thanks for listening per say. It didn’t take much thought for me after posting my original post to realize that I am a creature of comfort. Although, I can handle roughing it and such, I do enjoy air conditioning in the summer and heat in the cold. I enjoy my pillow-top mattress, I enjoy kicking back in my recliner. And, a microwave just doesn’t fit the light hiking gear aspect just yet.

SMSP
    South MS Patriot

Default ????

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    If you sell off everything you have of value and go hike the AT, what will you have to comeback to when your hike is done? Better really think this through!

David
    I'm trying to come up with a reason why you "have to come back".

Quote Originally Posted by SMSP View Post
    I do appreciate everyone’s responses. I think I was just having a bad day the other day and was venting, thanks for listening per say. It didn’t take much thought for me after posting my original post to realize that I am a creature of comfort. Although, I can handle roughing it and such, I do enjoy air conditioning in the summer and heat in the cold. I enjoy my pillow-top mattress, I enjoy kicking back in my recliner. And, a microwave just doesn’t fit the light hiking gear aspect just yet.

SMSP

I know a really good cure for that love of comfort. Takes at least 3 months.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Journal Entries

Default homeless

Quite a few nautical minded folks sell up, and ship out to cruise the islands for a few years. Unless rich, they will work various jobs in different ports for a while to save up some money, then depart to a new destination. They will do odd jobs at marinas, work as bartenders, waitresses, etc, for several weeks, then move on.

No reason that methodology couldnt work on the AT either.

Journal Entries
    Images

Chris MacCandless had a pretty nice plan going! He would work for a while, then move on living his dream. If you haven't read "Into the Wild" I highly suggest it!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I think the last two comments kinda summed up my take on it too. A nomadic lifestyle definitely appeals to me but if I was to do it I wouldn't limit myself to one place like the AT. The reason people pursue lifestyles like this are to have what they consider to be ultimate freedom. Why stick to one place? To me the best way to do it would be to travel around the US or even further if you could, take on seasonal work or odd jobs when you need to replenish funds and just enjoy all the new experiences.

Images

I too have toyed with this idea - I did actually live in the back of my pickup truck (with camper top) for a year (after I thru-hiked) right out of college an on-the-road climber and skiier - age 21-22. I spent money earned selling Christmas trees and working at ski resorts but I also relied on a head-start - family $$ bought the pick-up and some gear and there was always the family safety net. Now, here is what might work - long term:

have a base camp - this could be a trailer or mobile home or even a cabin at a summer camp but it needs to be somewhere where you can earn some money - seasonal work is excellent for the lifestyle you seem to be seeking - look at ski resorts, raft guiding, summer camps, etc. but you need to make about $10,000 a year + if you want to stay on the trail all year long because in the winter you'll be holed-up ( a lot ) and you'll need some bucks - you'll also need a place to store your stuff - I'd suggest that truly homelessness on the trail won't work long-term - you'll need replacement gear, a place to keep spare clothes, a bank to keep some back-up money in, etc. even if this is just a place you can park your truck and have people leave you messages. Without rent to pay and only mac-n-cheese and replacement gear to buy, $10K lasts a long time.

more importantly, you'll need a network of friends - this is why a seasonal job in the outdoor industry might work for you - many of these people (while they might not be living on the trail) are of a similar mindset.

Go live the dream - but have a realistic plan if you want it to last. You can live life (mostly) on the trail and on the road -- a work of caution though ..... I've met actual homeless dudes in shelters - they are pretty much a problem - they leach off legitimate hikers, are typically hopeless alcoholics, can't afford gear or food and are pretty sad and lonely.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Chris MacCandless had a pretty nice plan going! He would work for a while, then move on living his dream. If you haven't read "Into the Wild" I highly suggest it!

McCandless weighed in at a about 30 kg (60 or so lbs) when he finally fell over dead from starvation, some dream.

Images

Obviously, there is a point that is "too far" - that point is relative to the individual - someone can clearly have a part-time job and spend most of the time backpacking - I am sensitive to this because this is how I see myself in retirement - right now, with a job, I hike 300-400 miles a year and spend about 40 nights per year in the woods- 15% of my time - so I feel at least sort of connected to this paradigm - surely in spirit. I think that the original poster can live his life on the trail (mostly) with some back-up and good planning. McCandless' experiment was something different - and he obviously took it too far, but boy, did that kid "live" - don't be too quick to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by SMSP View Post
    Know anybody that has been good at it?

Been thinking about trying it out.

I’m tired of being responsible and trying to live the so called American dream. I’ve been responsible for the past 20 years, and been thinking about being non-responsible for the next 10 years or so. Of course, this would come at a great price.

Been thinking about selling anything of value and hitting the trail for good. I know there’s unforeseen things I haven’t thought of, but the idea sounds great at the moment.

SMSP
    I think it's an admirable dream and something worth considering if you really believe that it will add value to your life.

In my own experience, purposeful living will always trump purposeless living. But it's up to you to figure what's right and wrong in your life. Right now working towards the financial security seems a little off...maybe it is the wrong path for you, long-term. Just be honest with yourself.

In 2008 I quit my semi-stressful desk job. Since then I haven't worked a job I didn't want. First, as an IT consultant working conventions for 5 days a month. Now, I'm an Elementary School English teacher in South Korea. Both jobs paid for my living expenses while I traveled and hiked (and this current gig allows me to put away enough scratch to not have to work for 2 to 3 years of thru-hike-like travel).

Saving you from the minutiae; I do believe that it is possible to live free of concern about the "American Dream" while still being responsible to your financial future. And travel. And hike. With little concern for the consequences. I've lived this life for almost 4 years now and definitely see another 4 in the making.

Good luck.

Default Chris McCandless from an Alaska Park Ranger’s Perspective

" Some like McCandless, show up in Alaska, unprepared, unskilled and unwilling to takethe time to learn the skills they need to be successful."

" you quickly see that what he did
    wasn’t even particularly daring, just stupid, tragic and inconsiderate"

http://nmge.gmu.edu/textandcommunity/2006/Peter_Christian_Response.pdf

Journal Entries

Ive maintained for a long time that the "american dream" was a hoax. Home ownership, two cars, etc. = debt, debt, debt.

Whose idea of a "dream" is being in debt so deep it takes you 30 yrs to pay it off? Not mine. Hmmm bankers??? ...could be

People today are stupid, and I mean that. They spend their whole lives working to pay for crap they dont even need, and not really even living, just existing as robots serving their elitist masters. They are debt slaves, pure and simple. The sad part is they are so brainwashed that that is the "American dream", they dont even realize it.

What if.....what if everyone didnt buy crap they didnt need, iphones, and fancy cars, and designer clothes. And only bought what they did need, instead of buying what everyone else bought just so they could have it too. Only lived in a small house they actually needed. Most people could work 1/2 as much as they currently do, and still have everything that they need. Instead of working their frickin life away to pay for crap they dont need, they could go hike, or spend time with their kids, or spouse.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++