WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hosaphone View Post
    http://climateandcapitalism.com/?p=691

I shouldn't have read this, now I'm just depressed. We're ****ed.
    That link reminds me of a show on the science channel I watched last night called I, caveman. Ended up being a stupid show, but I was struck by one thing we all see all the time. About 1/2 the participants were hardly doing anything for the good of the group, leaving 50% doing practically all the work. They were only out for 10 days, but if they had to stay out any longer that would have been unsustainable. Leadership would have had to rise up and take charge to either get those people working or expel them from the group.

That's why capitalism is the best social model. It really does mimic life in nature, only the strong survive. Without capitalism few would be overworked to the benefit for the many lard asses.

Journal Entries

WOW, so many people respond to this thread...
    I spent a couple of years on the streets and it is tough and I found that I was dependant upon the generosity of others, even though circumstances were often out of my control. Like in Israel, when a fellow limey stole all my stuff, including my passport.(British and American passports are worth a lot in Israel on the '

Images

This guy and his family have done it for a good long while. http://driftersgila.blogspot.com/ He has other stories you can link to also. It's not a completely hiking lifestyle, but hiking is a good part of it. You might find that it relates.

Journal Entries

Hit the wrong Button!!
    Anyway, if you really want to live on the trail,in the woods, hobo, then first learn a few ways of the woods, how to survive, how to help others in the woods so that you are useful and don't end up just being a leach on others...
    You surely have some skills, working occasionally ain't that bad, it sure beats the nine to five/fifty weeks in the year crap that so many endure in this country...
    Good luck to you, hope to see you,self- sufficient, on the trail

Journal Entries

The following table lists nine countries and the average number of paid vacation days per year employees receive in each country.
    Italy 42 days
    France 37 days
    Germany 35 days
    Brazil 34 days
    United Kingdom 28 days
    Canada 26 days
    Korea 25 days
    Japan 25 days
    U.S. 13 days

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0922052.html

We're definitely doing it wrong over here...
    Yeah but the weather, in England anyway, really sucks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    Yeah but the weather, in England anyway, really sucks!!
    I hear Italy is pretty nice though

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    it sure is in the culture.the marketing of debt along with consumerism that enslaves people to jobs they cant wait to retire from, to pay for products they really didnt need in the first place, but are made to feel inferior for being frugal and living simply. When I got married, I applied for my first credit card. within a few months I had received at least 20 gold card offers. I was young, making $40000/yr, and within a year I had 10 gold cards with limits between $5-10k. I had almost $100k in available credit(at the time rates were around 12%). Like many younger folk, I felt entitled to use that available credit, and spent money on things I never would have done with cash. In no time at all I was in over my head, cut em all up , took 8 yrs to pay everything off.
    Later, after my divorce,I ws forced to live a bit more frugally, just to keep up with child support, alimony, etc. and found I didnt really need cable TV, didnt need to drive an expensive car, didnt really need a lot of things. I rediscovered backpacking, which I had been away from for most of my married life, and reinforced my knowledge I really didnt need much to live on.
    I live a simple life now. the kids are grown, I dont have credit cards any more, just a debit card. I still use a prepaid $15 cell phone, which Im thinking of upgrading to one of those fancy $20 phones.I have a secure job that I enjoy doing. My only failing is Ill admit to being a bit of a gearhead.(alright, I might have a few other failings)
    The allure for me of sectionhiking is partially to escape the constant bombardment of ads telling me what drugs I need, and why I better have an ipad if i want to be one of the cool kids.Every time I go on a trip, it helps me recenter, so i pay less attention to the sales pitches, and more attention to the beauty and people around me.
    Yeah, yeah, tell it brother!

(*hides receipt for $450 WM sleeping bag*)

Journal Entries

it sure is in the culture.the marketing of debt along with consumerism that enslaves people to jobs they cant wait to retire from, to pay for products they really didnt need in the first place, but are made to feel inferior for being frugal and living simply. When I got married, I applied for my first credit card. within a few months I had received at least 20 gold card offers. I was young, making $40000/yr, and within a year I had 10 gold cards with limits between $5-10k. I had almost $100k in available credit(at the time rates were around 12%). Like many younger folk, I felt entitled to use that available credit, and spent money on things I never would have done with cash. In no time at all I was in over my head, cut em all up , took 8 yrs to pay everything off.
    Later, after my divorce,I ws forced to live a bit more frugally, just to keep up with child support, alimony, etc. and found I didnt really need cable TV, didnt need to drive an expensive car, didnt really need a lot of things. I rediscovered backpacking, which I had been away from for most of my married life, and reinforced my knowledge I really didnt need much to live on.
    I live a simple life now. the kids are grown, I dont have credit cards any more, just a debit card. I still use a prepaid $15 cell phone, which Im thinking of upgrading to one of those fancy $20 phones.I have a secure job that I enjoy doing. My only failing is Ill admit to being a bit of a gearhead.(alright, I might have a few other failings)
    The allure for me of sectionhiking is partially to escape the constant bombardment of ads telling me what drugs I need, and why I better have an ipad if i want to be one of the cool kids.Every time I go on a trip, it helps me recenter, so i pay less attention to the sales pitches, and more attention to the beauty and people around me.
    I take some pride in doing without things that arent really needed, just because. I havent bought anything on credit in about 16 years. I use debit card, but have a separate credit card for mail-order that I pay in full immediately. Last several vehicles, paid cash in full for used ones. If you do the math, a new vehicle is a waste of money compared to a decent used, I buy 5-7 yr old vehicles that look like new, and have low mileage for their age (50-80,000) for about 25% the cost of a new, but I get 75% of the life out of the vehicle.

Funny thing about credit, you only want it if you need it, in other words, i.e. if you cant afford things. When you have enough money saved that you dont need it, then you dont even want it.

Quote Originally Posted by SMSP View Post
    Know anybody that has been good at it? Been thinking about trying it out. I’m tired of being responsible and trying to live the so called American dream. I’ve been responsible for the past 20 years, and been thinking about being non-responsible for the next 10 years or so. Of course, this would come at a great price. Been thinking about selling anything of value and hitting the trail for good. I know there’s unforeseen things I haven’t thought of, but the idea sounds great at the moment. SMSP

I think it’s a wonderful dream … similar to day-dreaming about winning the lottery.

Reality, as many have posted, is potentially very harsh. It is interesting how sudden, spur of the moment decisions have a way of complicating life down the road. You think you will leave stress behind, but you tend to replace them with different hurdles.

We sometimes forget that we have more control over our lives than we imagine. If you’ve reached the point where you want to make a sudden redirection in your life … I would encourage you to think about what is important, what you enjoy, and then set some benchmark goals to help you reach those goals. Instead of a dramatic life style change, how about simplifying things or transitioning to a new role at work that is more in line with what makes you happy? Perhaps find a new position in a different industry that is more interesting? Perhaps take a few weeks off for vacation, grab a pack, and hit some trails until you can hear yourself think? You mention the idea sounds great at the moment… I'd like to stress the use of the word moment.

A decade ago, I unregistered for MBA courses and decided to pursue Biology at a different school without belonging to the school of life sciences. I did it, but that sudden decision had broad implications on my potential retirement. I’d recommend a slow redirection after some soul-searching.

Regardless of the decision you make, good luck.

This reminds me of the story about a homeless man in Raleigh, NC. His name was Shevanel, and he had a dog named plip. it seemed to not matter how much Shevanel had or didn't have, he was always so stoked on life, and cherished everything that he had.

To me this dude found his own success and his story helps me remember to not take any of those little things in life for granted because in the end all the petty squabbles in life only drive us apart as a species and it's the little things that make living life worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosaphone View Post
    It's obviously a personal thing, but I think hiking around all the time wouldn't be satisfying as a long-term thing. I think it would be a fairly selfish, empty, purposeless existence after a while.
    I think it would be an extremely satisfying and joyful existence. Seeing amazing views, living in the woods all the time. Only reason I am not doing it right now is student loans.

This is my first post here, appropriate that it will be in such a thread.

A couple years ago I left life and spent 9 months on a small sail boat with my wife and dog. We enjoyed living simply,
    and might well still be 'out there' if the demands of social structure had not pulled us back. Maybe the 'common thread'
    is the appeal of living simply, and living deliberately....

... love the advice that has appeared in this thread 'go for it' is a great answer, especially when coupled with the idea of keeping your options open.

i been unemployed for almost 2 years with out find a job and now no unemployment check i been thinking about grab my backpack at going hiking on at also im 6mo behind on rent so if i loss myaprtment or if a decide to give it up i might just get out there and hike and wing it and see how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by shawnofrutland View Post
    i been unemployed for almost 2 years with out find a job and now no unemployment check i been thinking about grab my backpack at going hiking on at also im 6mo behind on rent so if i loss myaprtment or if a decide to give it up i might just get out there and hike and wing it and see how it goes
    Do it, don't let your possessions chain you down.

Images

are you planning on eating roadkill, nuts and berries?if you think a hike will take you away from the day to day business of surviving, well how are you going to do a thru hike with no money?and you'll be faced with the same problems off trail when you finish.

i will eat rice and noddles and trail mix on the trail and i will have little money in case in need anything elce
    im goto go out for about amonth or more i take one thing at i time and if it come to the point i need to come home i will

Journal Entries

Default keep moving

When truly homeless people get on the trail, they tend to stay in one spot for sustained times. Hikers hike, homeless squat. If they live at shelters , beg from others, and generally creep people out, they end up getting reported to authorities that have a way of helping them yellow-blaze 30 miles up the trail, and out of their jurisdiction.

are you planning on eating roadkill, nuts and berries?if you think a hike will take you away from the day to day business of surviving, well how are you going to do a thru hike with no money?and you'll be faced with the same problems off trail when you finish.
    Once I get my loans paid off, I am gonna save up money, hike as long as I can, then work when I need to, then repeat until I get sick of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    When truly homeless people get on the trail, they tend to stay in one spot for sustained times. Hikers hike, homeless squat. If they live at shelters , beg from others, and generally creep people out, they end up getting reported to authorities that have a way of helping them yellow-blaze 30 miles up the trail, and out of their jurisdiction.
    If I was homeless, I would hike all the time. Sitting around sounds boring as hell. I don't know why they would need to beg, worse case you can apply for food stamps. Personally, if I had no option but to do food stamps, I would stay in VA, as it is the longest section, so you could hike up and down the state, and look for work at the same time.

Images

you could try working as a ridge runner.doesnt pay much, but then you dont need much.one thing Ive found in my own life, which I sense in you right now, is that you cannot walk away from your problems. However, an extended time on the trail may allow you to find some clarity to help you find solutions more effectively. for me, after my divorce,, I felt I had very little, and carried around anger and resentment for my exwife. I got back into a steady diet of backpacking. I learned that not only dont I need much, but I appreciate the things I have much more. I have the things I want, and I want the things I have.and the people Ive met over the past 15 years reaffirmed my faith in humanity. I used to look at the glass as more than half empty.I still dont own much, but my perspective has changed and now my glass is always overflowing.I hope you can find some clarity on the trail.Hopefully you'll find solutions to your difficulties.

Journal Entries

you could try working as a ridge runner.doesnt pay much, but then you dont need much.one thing Ive found in my own life, which I sense in you right now, is that you cannot walk away from your problems. However, an extended time on the trail may allow you to find some clarity to help you find solutions more effectively. for me, after my divorce,, I felt I had very little, and carried around anger and resentment for my exwife. I got back into a steady diet of backpacking. I learned that not only dont I need much, but I appreciate the things I have much more. I have the things I want, and I want the things I have.and the people Ive met over the past 15 years reaffirmed my faith in humanity. I used to look at the glass as more than half empty.I still dont own much, but my perspective has changed and now my glass is always overflowing.I hope you can find some clarity on the trail.Hopefully you'll find solutions to your difficulties.

Happiness is 90% attitude, the other half is perspective.

Almost everyone can spot a lot of people that are more fortunate than they are, but there are far more that are worse off too. Even the poor in america are better off than 75% of the people in the WORLD. Always keep that in mind.

Virginia Tortoise

Gosh, you guys have me thinking about this now. I could use my IRA/401K to pay off all of my debts. Then, I could exist on my social security. I could pay some one $100 a month so that I could list a legal residence and that person could take in my mail and I could check in with them once a month or so if anything important came up. Stay in Patel Motels in the winter and on the trail in the spring, summer/fall. Hhhmmm.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++