WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Underwear issues

Hey Guys and gals,

I about to do a section hike of the CT section of the AT. I am looking to do about 15 miles a day for 4 days to complete it. The last time I went hiking I bought a new pair of compression shorts and used them for a short 5 mile solo hike. Issues arose after about 3 miles with severe chaffage and blisters,(due to the seams of the underwear/shorts) in places I never want blisters again. I couldn't sit down or walk and sleep was uncomfortable. I was looking for some solution to this. I have heard about seamless shorts but haven't been able to find them online. What do you guys do to prevent such issuse?

Elytis
    "show me the rules of the game and I'll tell you how I am gonna win" unknown

This is something that has plagued me for most of my life. About 2 months ago, I was told to try the UnderArmor X series, 9inch underwear. I was reluctant at $20 a pair for undies! I bought a pair on the way to a day hike and changed in the bathroom. I walked 14 miles that day in 95 degree FL heat, and I actually forgot what chaffing was! I have since bought many more pairs, and would not walk for any distance without them. A product that has truly changed my life as far as activities go!

I've been using the synthetic boxer briefs from walmart, I think they are starter brand. I have never had chaffing or blisters and they are about as seemless as any ive used. I have several other brands that work just as well for me and are costlier but all seem to have more seems. Not knowing the specifics of your problem I would experiment with some different combos at home. At ten bucks a pair they are cheap enough to experiment with.

Images

Campmor.com - Wickers - $15.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Or go commando.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

It is not uncommon for thru-hikers to go without underwear

Journal Entries
    Images

When I did my thru I used shorts with a mesh liner and no underwear. Worked great for me. No problems with chafing rubbing etc. I don't know what I would wear if I was going to hike in cold weather when long pants would be required.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

exofficio and body glide. problem solved
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Commando + Kilt = ZERO chaffing.

Images

I use C9 compression boxer-briefs from Target. I've done multiple 15+ mile day hikes in them on dry, hot days, to cool, rainy days; never had any sort of chaffing.

I use these as well and they are fricken awesome! They are also anti-microbial for a long while...so less stinky on the dinky ay. You could always get a hiking kilt too and show your goods when resting.

I used Exofficio...and occasionally body glide if necessary. Going commando has its problems as well. You may get a little raw on the tip if ya know what I mean.

Journal Entries

Default chafing

Walmart starter synthetic boxer briefs work good for me. Fairly light too, and a lot cheaper than ex-off or patagonia.

I dont quite understand how snug fitting compression shorts could chafe.

I have walked at least 10 miles in damp cotton underwear and blue jeans without chafing.

Journal Entries
    Images

He nailed when he said the seams are in the wrong places - in short he's wearing the wrong shorts..

You wouldn't hike ten miles as an adult in tighty whity's - you sweat then chafe - then it gets SWAMPY.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

i recommend you try and find some thin spandex running shorts. i use them without underwear so they get a bit smelly but so far they are the best thing ive found. long, synthetic or wool underwear should be ok but my legs are really fat so boxer briefs tend to ride up and get into a bunch, not fun after several hours, so thin running shorts work for me. i wouldn't recommend going commando though, doing so will funk up your slacks with dickass and you will leave yourself open to some very uncomfortable chafing indeed.

Journal Entries
    Images

Water shorts commando works for me. The only chaffing issues I've ever had are in the South and not in the mountains, it was more of a fungis then rubbing. This script topicort worked.

as far as running shorts go... feel free to buy the female varieties, they tend to be the thinner than unisex or male styles, just make sure they fit right.

One other thing on this, it is the sweat that dries to salt crystals that cause the problem mostly. When your legs dry out and are salty as a result, like after a break, the chaffing slowly starts working on you.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hubby likes his sportkilt and uses body glide.
    Last edited by Blissful; 10-06-2011 at 19:01.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    Commando + Kilt = ZERO chaffing.
    Totally agree with the kilt...picked mine up in damascus and was 1500 chafe free
    Why am I a wizard?? Thats simple...I am where the trail magic is...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++