WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

1500 miles chafe free
    Why am I a wizard?? Thats simple...I am where the trail magic is...

I apply a swipe of stick deodorant (any of the common kinds seem to work) to the inside of each thigh. Since I started that the underwear don't seem to matter. I used to chafe after about 10 miles but never chafe with the deodorant trick.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've used stick deodorant to my thighs as well. I've also used it on my feet for blister's (not the same stick).HS

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I usually pack a pair of ex-officio boxers, but if it's hot out I end up only wearing them about half of the time and going commando more often.

As someone already mentioned the dried salts from sweating cause a lot of the problem. I've found that a quick cleanup with a wet handkerchief every so often can help to improve the situation.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Noob

The only time I've experienced chafing is when I hiked commando. I usually wear Under Armor bicycle style shirts and have zero issues.

I chafed like crazy wearing running shorts with the mesh liner. and the mesh would grab hairs and pull them out rather painfully. Not fun. Wicking underwear didn't do the job back then either. Compression shorts did the job for me in 1995 and I continue to wear them for sweaty activities like my daily job. I wear Terramar boxer briefs (purchased cheaply at Sierra Trading Post). I also wear Nike, Underarmor, Champion and Starter Boxer briefs all with equally good results. Sometimes body glide or Balmex is needed for prevention or treatment of some hygeine related issues. Staying clean makes a very big difference. During my worst chaffing in Shenandoah, I got rid of the synthetic briefs and the mesh liners and went commando. It worked pretty well. It should be noted that most commandos in training these days seem to wear Under Armor boxer briefs. They do not wear underarmor shirts because they melt rather dramatically when exposed to flames and arc flashes associated with IEDs and the like. They have some pretty nice options though. Another issue though.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

I wear spandex shorts. Turn them inside out so bad side of the seam is away from the skin. Works great. I may drop my Wal-Mart or Target to pick up a pair of the shorts mentioned eariler and give them a try.

Images

I swear by Under Armour! I have changed my entire underwear stock to UA. Yeah, they're costly, but they last for a very long time. I started wearing UA back in 1998 or so, and those particular pairs are now starting to show wear. I do not think I have thrown a pair away yet. So, for longevity, I'd say they are a huge value. Also, when one is in the middle of chaffing a issue, the cost for instant relief is priceless IMO.

Anyway, UA is my reccomendation, but not the only solution. Good Luck.

SMSP
    South MS Patriot

Images

Commando or water shorts with mesh liner - both work well for me.

Nightly wipe down of area with wet bandanna or wet wipe solves most of the problem, plus you feel/smell much better long-term.

On rare occasions when chaffing occurs (usually only on rainy/wet days when shorts get and stay damp) a clean-up before bed and a light dusting of Gold Bond medicated solves the problem completely by morning. One small baggy of Gold Bond lasts a long time and is a light/compact addition to first aid kit.

Vassarette hi cut panties.

Ex-Officio boxer briefs work for me.

Images

If Andre Agassi can win the French open going commando, then I think I can let loose while hiking!

IMO, if you wear your hiking underwear in your everyday life, then its much less likely you'll have a problem on the trail.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Commando - no issues for 2181 miles!
    If you come to a fork in the road...take it - Yogi Berra

Images

Another vote for the Wal-mart starter brand compression shorts. Never had an issue.

Arighty - I picked up a pair of the Starter synthetic shorts yesterday. Wore them today - very nice. I will probably pick up a few more pairs.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Deodarant & Antiperspirant - in the crotch may not be a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    I apply a swipe of stick deodorant (any of the common kinds seem to work) to the inside of each thigh. Since I started that the underwear don't seem to matter. I used to chafe after about 10 miles but never chafe with the deodorant trick.
    Some people wear deodorants to cover up underarm smells, but if you sweat a lot, you probably need an antiperspirant to slow down the production of underarm sweat. Our bodies are constantly producing sweat, but there are certain times when they produce a lot more. Additional sweat is produced to cool down our bodies when we are exposed to heat, physical exertion, stress or nervousness. When the sweat gland is stimulated, the cells secrete a fluid that travels from the coiled portion of the gland up through the straight duct and out onto the surface of our skin.

Solid antiperspirants are made with several ingredients, including wax, a liquid emollient and an active-ingredient compound. It's the active ingredient that gives antiperspirants their sweat-blocking power. All antiperspirants have an aluminum-based compound as their main ingredient. If you look at the back of an antiperspirant container, the aluminum-based compound is always the first ingredient listed. Here are a few of the common active ingredients:

• Aluminum chloride
    • Aluminum zirconium tricholorohydrex glycine
    • Aluminum chlorohydrate
    • Aluminum hydroxybromide

The aluminum ions are taken into the cells that line the eccrine-gland ducts at the opening of the epidermis, the top layer of the skin, says dermatologist Dr. Eric Hanson of the University of North Carolina's Department of Dermatology. When the aluminum ions are drawn into the cells, water passes in with them. As more water flows in, the cells begin to swell, squeezing the ducts closed so that sweat can't get out.
    Each cell can only draw in a certain amount of water, so eventually, the concentrations of water -- outside and inside the cells -- reach equilibrium. When this happens, the water inside the cell begins to pass back out of the cell through osmosis, and the cell's swelling goes down. This is why people have to re-apply antiperspirant. For those who suffer from excessive sweating, hyperhydrosis, aluminum chloride in high concentrations can prolong the swelling and may ultimately shrink the sweat gland, decreasing the amount of sweat it can produce.

These products are regulated by the FDA.

These products are for under arm areas only. They carry a "Warning" label for several good reasons. The product is labeled above "Caution" that using the product inconsistent with the original use can make you very sick. Using it on a rash or broken skin will prevent healing. In short using this product is worse than covering yourself in Deet. in a few cases people have died from antiperspirant , by not following the label.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Some people wear deodorants to cover up underarm smells, but if you sweat a lot, you probably need an antiperspirant to slow down the production of underarm sweat. Our bodies are constantly producing sweat, but there are certain times when they produce a lot more. Additional sweat is produced to cool down our bodies when we are exposed to heat, physical exertion, stress or nervousness. When the sweat gland is stimulated, the cells secrete a fluid that travels from the coiled portion of the gland up through the straight duct and out onto the surface of our skin.

Solid antiperspirants are made with several ingredients, including wax, a liquid emollient and an active-ingredient compound. It's the active ingredient that gives antiperspirants their sweat-blocking power. All antiperspirants have an aluminum-based compound as their main ingredient. If you look at the back of an antiperspirant container, the aluminum-based compound is always the first ingredient listed. Here are a few of the common active ingredients:

• Aluminum chloride
    • Aluminum zirconium tricholorohydrex glycine
    • Aluminum chlorohydrate
    • Aluminum hydroxybromide

The aluminum ions are taken into the cells that line the eccrine-gland ducts at the opening of the epidermis, the top layer of the skin, says dermatologist Dr. Eric Hanson of the University of North Carolina's Department of Dermatology. When the aluminum ions are drawn into the cells, water passes in with them. As more water flows in, the cells begin to swell, squeezing the ducts closed so that sweat can't get out.
    Each cell can only draw in a certain amount of water, so eventually, the concentrations of water -- outside and inside the cells -- reach equilibrium. When this happens, the water inside the cell begins to pass back out of the cell through osmosis, and the cell's swelling goes down. This is why people have to re-apply antiperspirant. For those who suffer from excessive sweating, hyperhydrosis, aluminum chloride in high concentrations can prolong the swelling and may ultimately shrink the sweat gland, decreasing the amount of sweat it can produce.

These products are regulated by the FDA.

These products are for under arm areas only. They carry a "Warning" label for several good reasons. The product is labeled above "Caution" that using the product inconsistent with the original use can make you very sick. Using it on a rash or broken skin will prevent healing. In short using this product is worse than covering yourself in Deet. in a few cases people have died from antiperspirant , by not following the label.
    The aluminum compounds are the main reason I only use deodorants. Been using deodorant only for years now with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    exofficio and body glide. problem solved
    I agree 100%.

I like Vaseline/Petroleum Jelly for rashes, irritations, chaffing, etc, no matter where they are located. It has a low density. It also doubles as a fire starter.

I tried the body glide stuff... didn't like it, felt gross. If I went commando I would get chaffing between my legs. I wear Under Armour boxers kind of like compression shorts but they have a fly opening. I have not chaffed once using them. The brand does not matter in my opinion, the fit matters. You want them to be nicely tight, not cut of blood flow but no wrinkles and no looseness. I kind of hike up each side to makes sure they are up in my crotch good and forming a barrier between my legs. When wearing them I have hiked in hot, humid, southern conditions sweating all day with zero issues. It just forms a barrier over the skin, the boxers would have to develop a hole before it would be possible to chafe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++