WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default MSR Whisperlite Universal -- Review

I've been working on a review of the new MSR Whisperlite Universal.

The big news is that the new Whisperlite Universal will run on gas as well as liquid fuel.

Running on canister gas. NICE big flames.

My review of the new MSR Whisperlite Universal is complete and now available:
    MSR Whisperlite Universal Review.

By the way, Seattle Backpackers Magazine is a worthwhile read even if you're not interested in my particular article.

Configuring the stove for different fuels:
    <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MD9yoYazJ2o?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MD9yoYazJ2o?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390">

More photos:

Running on white gasoline (Coleman fuel).

Putting out some heat!

The new Whisperlite (left) and the old Whisperlite (right).

Running on kerosene.

Stove testing at First Water on the Mt. Wilson Trail.

It's a really nice stove and a really nice job by MSR.

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

Hmm. That video link was a bust. Let's try that again.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD9yoYazJ2o

HJ

Images

Nice review, do you know if it is possible to use the cannister conversion parts to make a simmerlite run on cannisters as well?

Quote Originally Posted by nox View Post
    Nice review, do you know if it is possible to use the cannister conversion parts to make a simmerlite run on cannisters as well?
    It is not possible. The end of the W'lite Universal's fuel line is special -- threaded -- such that it can attach to different adapters.

HJ

Here's what the end of the Whisperlite Universal's fuel line looks like:
    P1070301.JPG

It's threaded so that the two adapters (one for gas, one for liquid fuel) can be fitted on. The Simmerlite's fuel line is smooth at the tip, so the adapters cannot be used with the Simmerlite.

HJ

Images

What's the difference between the old and new, besides the obvious pot stands?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    What's the difference between the old and new, besides the obvious pot stands?
    Well, read the review, and I think you'll see: http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.co...ite-universal/

One of the main things is that the stove can now burn canister gas as well as liquid fuel. There are major improvements on flame control (simmering in other words), the pot supports are stronger, larger, and don't fall off if you change the jet, the bag has a zipper pouch now (minor, but a nice convenience). Maintenance is easier. Those are probably the high lights.

HJ

Images

too bad I already have 5 stoves or I would get one of these.

Panzer

Images

Figures they wouldn't make hoses and jets to adapt existing stoves... It looks nice, but like panzer, I already have enough stoves. If they decide to make a conversion kit for the simmerlite I would definitely purchase it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    too bad I already have 5 stoves or I would get one of these.

Panzer
    Yeah, it's a pretty nice stove. For those who want to gear simplify, this could be easily used as a year-round, do everything stove.

HJ

Quote Originally Posted by nox View Post
    Figures they wouldn't make hoses and jets to adapt existing stoves... It looks nice, but like panzer, I already have enough stoves. If they decide to make a conversion kit for the simmerlite I would definitely purchase it ...
    It would have been pretty tough for them to make the adapters so that they would work with existing stoves. The Simmerlite's fuel tube would have to go into the adapter, and then you'd have to have a way to secure it.

That and a Simmerlite, despite it's outward similarity to a Windpro, isn't tuned for gas. I understand the mixing chamber and jet are slightly different. It'd be interesting to try a Simmerlite on gas just to see how it runs.

The jets by the way ARE compatible with other Whisperlites. I didn't try the gas jet, but I took a liquid fueled jet out of an old Whisperlite, put it in the Whisperlite Universal, and the Universal fired right up.

HJ

I just saw the Whisperlite Universal for sale (but not in stock) on MEC's site for $131.00 CAD (about $128.00 USD). Assuming the price doesn't change when the stoves actually hit the shelves in January, I think it's a smart move by MSR. I think MSR was reaching a bit with their original MSRP of $140.

For those who don't know, MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) is a large, outdoors-oriented Canadian retailer. They're vaguely similar to REI (Recreational Equipment Incorporated), the US retailer.

HJ

++ New Posts ++