WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Ozark Highlands Trail

I have been doing a summer trip with some guys in the family each summer and because of conflicts this summer we need to stay close to Missouri. If we decide to do a 50-60 mile section of the Ozark Highlands Trail, does anybody have any suggestions for a good section for views and shuttles? It will be an early August trip, what conditions could we expect? All help appreciated.

check out the book and stuff CLICK HERE
    Tim Ernst is who you need to communicate with
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Make sure the Hurricane Creek Wilderness Area is somewhere in those 50-60 miles. It's one of the more scenic sections, but expect to get your feet wet, as there are several creek crossings (although in early august it shouldn't be as bad).

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i'd personally do the easternmost 50-60 miles. it tends to be a little more scenic in my opinion, and doing it that way just makes sense from a logistics standpoint because in 2 more trips of 50-60 miles you could have the entire trail walked.

1st trip: westbound 50-60 miles, starting from the east
    2nd trip: westbound 50-60 miles, middle section
    3rd trip: westbound 50-60 miles, finishing in the west

i'm a linear thinker
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

It will be very hot and humid! Lots of mosquitoes and ticks and chiggers. I highly recommend treating your clothes, especially your socks, with permethrin before you go.

Sounds like a lot of fun, though!
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi View Post
    It will be very hot and humid! Lots of mosquitoes and ticks and chiggers. I highly recommend treating your clothes, especially your socks, with permethrin before you go.

Sounds like a lot of fun, though!
    Afraid of the mosquito/tick/chigger thing. August is not a good time for many hikes apparently. Rainy in colorado for last summers trip. Bugs most everywhere else, except deserts where it is just too hot.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I am going to get that Tim Ernst book....I had already seen it on his site.

I want to hike this trail in late October - I heard this trail is amazing that time of year.

Default Shuttles - Western end of Ozark Higlands Trail

We're doing a 4 day section hike between the Western terminus at Lake Fort Smith SP and Lick Branch. From my research, I've found 2 shuttlers - Turner Bend Store and White Rock campground. Any WBers know of other shuttlers? Or any WBers living nearby who provide shuttles?

Hike is planned to start Sunday, March 11 although we're flexible to start one day later on Monday. There's 2 of us.

Since we're only hiking about a 56 mile section, I'm not purchasing the Ernst guide at this time. The OHT website has a detailed speadsheet and links to on-line contour maps.

++ New Posts ++