WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Lightest and Smallest Packing 30-F Bag

Normally I would do this type of research myself, but I'm really busy, and maybe someone already knows. What is the lightest and smallest packing 30-degree bag that has been well tested? Let's hypothetically say that money is no object.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Images

Not sure, but the WM Summerlite is rated 32 and is 1lb 3 oz in the 6 foot model and packs down pretty small. It's the one that comes to mind right away.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Marmot hydrogen about 1 pound and packs very small
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Images

If you're choosing a bag, there's a lot more to it than just weight and temp rating. The lightest ones are cut very "trim" and tend to be pretty tight in the shoulders if you're a big person or if you have an athletic build. Often full zips are sacrificed to lose a couple of ounces as well. Anything under 1 lb 8oz or so that is truly comfortable at 30° is about as light as current fabrics and 850 to 900 fp down will allow.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

My vote would be a Hammock Gear Top Quilt, 40° Burrow with 2 oz of overstuff. That would effectively make this a 30° system. I understand that some people have recently ordered their products with either 7D or cuben instead 1.1 oz ripstop nylon, so this may soon become standard as "custom" order. All their quilts now come with 900f Hungarian goose down.

Weight: 16.7 oz (with ripstop), prehaps an oz less with alternate fabrics
    Cost: $199 + $20.00 (for down overfill) for regular length

P.S. I currently own the 20° Burrow (with 1 oz of overfill, long) and cannot say enough good about it. I will be ordering a 40° Burrow with 1 oz of overfill in mid winter.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I love my 35* Western Mountaineering HighLite, weighing in at 16 ounces at retailing for $260 at Backcountrygear.com. It's kept me warm down to 45* in a hammock with long underwear and a closed-cell pad underneath. 40* on a pad is certainly reachable, but you'll want to tighten up the hood to keep in your heat.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

I have a 1# WM HighLite and it's great in moderate temps. However, for my skinny butt it's not very survivable at 32F. And it's fairly restrictive. When I have any doubt about being too cold, I switch to my WM Sycamore MF. It's 2# but is roomy, warm, opens all the way, and is more water repellent. More of a real expedition grade sleeping bag.

I have the Summerlite and had the Highlite. The Summerlite is warmer (full zip and baffles not quilted)
    I have used that down to around 23f with WM Flash top and bottom as well as to around 35 f with just a t top and underpants.
    With long sleeve top and leggings it will do the 32f and with a hat and socks around 30f or a bit less.
    That is if you fit inside one. At 150lbs , 5'8" I have some spare space in there.
    The stuff sack is about 5" wide and 9" long.
    BTW , If you don't toss and turn and have a decent mat , you can shift the down to the top and add some warmth that way.
    (I can't do that...)
    Do keep in mind that you can be cold at 32f with a genuine 20f bag if your mat is not up to it.
    Franco

Western Mountaineering is a great bag. My backpacking buddy has one and loves it. If you've got the money, that I where to go. Be aware of Marmot temp ratings. Their temp ratings are rated at minimal survivable temp and not comfort temp. I have a Mountain Hardwear bag and they rate their temps for comfort temp and not survivable temp.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    My vote would be a Hammock Gear Top Quilt, 40° Burrow with 2 oz of overstuff. That would effectively make this a 30° system. I understand that some people have recently ordered their products with either 7D or cuben instead 1.1 oz ripstop nylon, so this may soon become standard as "custom" order. All their quilts now come with 900f Hungarian goose down.

Weight: 16.7 oz (with ripstop), prehaps an oz less with alternate fabrics
    Cost: $199 + $20.00 (for down overfill) for regular length

P.S. I currently own the 20° Burrow (with 1 oz of overfill, long) and cannot say enough good about it. I will be ordering a 40° Burrow with 1 oz of overfill in mid winter.
    +1 on anything from HG. They will do pretty much anything you ask them to do. Also they use 900fp down and have top notch stitching. I would say a 40degree Burrow with 2oz overstuff would take you down to freezing, not much below that. They only drawback is that it won't be a true "sleeping bag" but rather a quilt, if that matters to you. It will be nice 'n wide at the shoulders, too.

Happy Hangin'
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by clsvideo View Post
    Be aware of Marmot temp ratings. Their temp ratings are rated at minimal survivable temp and not comfort temp. I have a Mountain Hardwear bag and they rate their temps for comfort temp and not survivable temp.
    This is simply not true. Both companies now EN rate their bags, although I am not sure if all the bags on either of their sites are listed as such (I imagine by now they are though). However, nether companies list their bags exclusively at the EN rated comfort levels. Rather they both try to get the listed rating closer to the "lower limit" EN rating, which is a comfort level for an average man. The listed EN "comfort" rating is for an average female. Here is a quick explanation of the EN rating (from Wiki):

The standard measures four temperature ratings:
    • Upper Limit — the temperature at which a standard man can sleep without excessive perspiration. It is established with the hood and zippers open and with the arms outside of the bag.
    • Comfort — the temperature at which a standard woman can expect to sleep comfortably in a relaxed position.
    • Lower Limit — the temperature at which a standard man can sleep for eight hours in a curled position without waking.
    • Extreme — the minimum temperature at which a standard woman can remain for six hours without risk of death from hypothermia (though frostbite is still possible).
    For the purpose of these measurements, a "standard man" is assumed to be 25 years old, with a height of 1.73 m and a weight of 73 kg; a "standard woman" is assumed to be 25 years old, with a height of 1.60 m and a weight of 60 kg.
    Stating that Marmot rates their bags at the survival, or the extreme rating is incorrect. And I can say this from experience. I own the Marmot Helium sleeping bag. Marmot list's this bag as a 15 F bag, however, the EN ratings are:

Comfort/female: 27.7 F
    Lower Limit/male: 16.3 F
    Extreme Limit: -16.6 F

So, as you can see, the listed rating is 1.3 F lower than the EN rated lower limit, however, I have used this sleeping bag successfully down to 9 - 10 F. Although, this does not mean a thing to the next person because we all sleep differently, and there are many factors that will help determine how we sleep, regardless of an EN rating. (IMO, EN ratings are a better tool for simply comparing different sleeping bags on the same level. How it performs for each individual can only be determined by that individual.)

Also, iirc, not too long ago there were some threads bumping around on another forum about one of the 32 F MH bags was found to have an EN lower limit rating of right at 45 F, which would have made the 32 F listed rating closer to the EN rated extreme temp. I think that they ended up adding more down to get the ratings back on track. However, in the same thread they were talking about one of the 45 F MH bags with an EN rating of low 30's F. I don't know though, it has been a while since I have been to the MH sites and looked at numbers. However, one thing I do remember about them is that a few of the popular ones were narrow bags which turned me off to them.

Anyway, as far as the OP's question, I would also suggest a quilt for the smallest packed size and lightest weight. However, if a bag is insisted upon, I would definitely eyeball the WM bags.
    Last edited by STICK; 10-23-2011 at 01:25.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Another vote for the WM Summerlite 32 degree. Just this past weekend took the bag to high-20s with a z-lite pad underneath and Montbell down jacket on, but I do sleep warm. I am sure it could be stretched even further with the right setup. Unfortunately, my 6'0" model weighted more than spec at 21 oz, but perhaps it was overfilled?

From memory the real weight of the 6' version is between 20 and 21oz.
    Can't remember mine but it was a bit more than stated on the web site.
    (I don't mind....)
    I switched to a quilt for a while than sold the Highlite and purchased the Summerlite.
    Very happy with this one because I can use it fully open or totally sealed up so it does cover (with clothing) a large range of temperatures.

Franco

Western Mountaineering Caribou. 35deg, 1 lb 5oz. Used mine to upper 20's, stayed warm.

Whatever the rating I would like to have at least as much down weight as shell weight.

I was looking at the Yeti Passion 3 bag and comparing that with the WM Highlite.
    Yeti Passion 3
    900 EU rated loft (about 980 (!) US)
    Total weight 465g/ 16.4oz down 300g/10.05oz
    Baffle construction
    Limit 3c/37.4f

WM Highlite
    850 US rated loft
    Total weight 455g/16.05 oz down 225g
    quilted
    limit 2c/35.6f

Comparing the two I would assume that the Yeti would keep me warm down to about 0c/32f...
    Franco
    BTW, those Yeti are very expensive....about USD $640
    not exactly what the OP was asking, just comparing figures...

And I thought the WM stuff was high.

Default Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32

The Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 is a great bag at 1lb 8oz from what I've heard. I just recieved a Phantom 15, which has the same internal cut of the 32*. It has more than enough room for me at 5'9" 140lbs. With 800fp down it packs down incredibly small and is $290 for the regular length. My Phantom 15 is an awesome bag!

I've got both the phantom 32 and the marmot hydrogen. The hydrogen seems a bit warmer but both are great bags. I should probably sell one actually...

My vote is for the WM summerlite. I have owned it for 3 years. I sometimes take a silk liner but have rarely used it.

Pound Hound and Garage Man

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++