WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MSR WhisperLite

Default MSR WhisperLite

Thinking about buying a MSR WhisperLite backpacking stove and it says you use it with white gas. My question is can you run this stove with heet or is white fuel something diffrent? Thanks for your help, I am only familiar with the canister type stoves.

Images

White gas is basically Coleman latern fuel. Nothing close to heet. Heet is alcohol.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Thanks Storm, so basically it runs off kerosene then?

White gas is more like kersosene than HEET... but still not the same. Do a quick google search and you'll learn more than you ever needed to about "white gas." Buy Coleman Fuel or MSR Superfuel, to use the first couple times at least.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mikeford View Post
    Thanks Storm, so basically it runs off kerosene then?
    No, NOT kerosene. It runs on "white gas", aka Coleman fuel, which is basically naphtha. Most hikers use either isobutane canister stoves or alcohol stoves. FWIW, because white gas stoves are heavier, very few expeienced hikers usethem anymore, except perhaps for very cold weather or expeditions, where many feel they are better suited. But even many mountaineering expeditions, such as on Everest are now using canisters. Another exceptions is if you're hiking in parts of the world where canisters or alcohol aren't easily available, there are multi-fuel stoves that will burn regular gasoline, kerosene, naptha, or other petroleum fuels. And they aren't particularly light or cheap.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

MSR stoves are great. I've used one for all the miles on the PCT, AT, CT, IAT, LT and many other trails. only had to have the pump and stove rehabbed once(not b/c of problems but b/c of all the nights on it). Still using it today and it's about 20 years old.

It is more like additive free gasoline than kerosene though neither is 100% accurate. Without the additives, it burns with less soot than gasoline but would perform rather terribly in your car.

Images

My Whisperlite International has been run on Coleman fuel, petrol, kerosine, and diesel. It came with an alternate burner nozzle for the heavier fuels. I burned diesel at one point overseas when that was all I could obtain. Works best on Coleman fuel. 11.5 ozs for pump and burner. Total weight depends upon size of fuel bottle, and amount of fuel contained. I carry a Penny Stove on the AT, but the MSR in cold weather and oversea150.jpgs.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Thanks everyone for clearing that up, it may not be a good choice for me weight wise then. I now know what a alcohol stove is after looking it up and is there anyone who can recommend a good one to buy?

You can run the Wisperlite on pump gas, cheapest fuel available on the trail at about $0.03/ounce. Alcohol and Coleman fuel fun $0.20-$0/30/ounce. Alcohol puts out less heat than gasoline so you use more fuel. Alcohol doesn't work well even in marginally cold weather.

Quite a few folks are using MSR stoves of one sort or another on the trail. I use a Dragonfly.

If you decide to use an alcohol stove Zelph makes a variety of 'em. I like one called the Super Venom, very efficent, tough and requires no pot stand.
    Last edited by swjohnsey; 10-23-2011 at 10:00.

Images

The regular whisperlight runs off of white gas which is very similar to gasoline - it's often also refered to as "Coleman Fuel" (it's similar to auto gas - just purer and cleaner burning)
    The "whisperlight international" will burn keresone, diesel fuel, auto gas etc. - not sure about heet or alcohol - those are pretty much alcohol stove specific

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

All you ever wanted to know about stoves ..and then some

http://zenstoves.net/

This link in particular should clear a few things up:
    http://zenstoves.net/Fuels.htm
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I've had a Whisperlite since 1987. I just recently replaced the pump. It's a great stove for cold weather and/or groups. It actually puts out more heat than the coldest weather can remove from your cookpot and its contents. By today's standards it is pretty heavy, especially for one person, and requires occasional cleaning or it will soot up and burn poorly, sooting up your pots. Cleaning is easy, though. If you want a lightweight solo stove for warm weather, best look for something else. If you do any winter camping with other people it's literally worth its weight.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will use the canister style stoves since I only hike with a dog. I hunt and do day hikes but I am looking to get into backpacking more and hopefully one day do the AT and the rest of the long trails but for now just focus on getting the right gear for some weeklong trips. Thanks Again!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

A canister stove is a good happy medium stove in terms of weight, ease of use and heat out-put.

Don't worry too much about gear, though. Gear is the LEAST important part of backpacking.

Have fun!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

i have this one it basically uses any fuel. youll be good on the AT with it for sure.

You can google White Box Stove. They are light, robust, needs no pot support and not expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    You can run the Wisperlite on pump gas, cheapest fuel available on the trail at about $0.03/ounce. Alcohol and Coleman fuel fun $0.20-$0/30/ounce. Alcohol puts out less heat than gasoline so you use more fuel. Alcohol doesn't work well even in marginally cold weather.

Quite a few folks are using MSR stoves of one sort or another on the trail. I use a Dragonfly.

If you decide to use an alcohol stove Zelph makes a variety of 'em. I like one called the Super Venom, very efficent, tough and requires no pot stand.
    Are you saying you use a MSR Whisper lite (not multi fuel MSR International) to burn unleaded gasoline and alcohol ?

Images

I used the Whisperlite stove on my thru hike and have nothing bad to say about it, great little stove. One thing that I did not know before my thru hike was that white gas is readily availabe on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    Are you saying you use a MSR Whisper lite (not multi fuel MSR International) to burn unleaded gasoline and alcohol ?
    It will burn pump gasoline, not sure about alcohol.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++