WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

Thanks for the helpful comments!
    I've been looking into some things and found a list of shuttles and AT support services that includes some of those people/ organizations willing to kennel and transport your dog to the other side of the Smokies, in case anyone else is interested in the info:
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...B%206-7-11.pdf

I am still very determined to make this trip a reality and would love to talk / share tips with anyone else who has similar goals or experience

Images

I would love to go on a long hike with my beast, but alas, she is old and blind. ...and even now she is crazy enough to be a pia at campsites. Enjoy your hike, sounds like you have your dog's best interest at heart. Don't get down from all the negative comments, use them as the devil's advocate. Peace.

Default "1 in a 1000"

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The rules don't change, nor do the challenges. Dogs are forbiden in the Smokies and in Baxter. You don't have to worry much about Baxter, as your chances of arriving there with a dog are about 1 in a 1000. If your truely serious about finishing a thru hike, don't bring your mutt.
    I am assuming this refers to a 1000 hikers who successfully thru-hiked the entire trail and not a 1000 who attempted or started the hike. These are still better odds over reality. I would recommend someone who wanted to do the hike in it's entirety to section hike the AT. Hiking with a dog would be as difficult as with a child, but you can at least catch rides to town easier and shop in stores without having to tie them up outside.

Images

As I mentioned before, y'know I'm really not concerned with odds of failure, but just trying to find ways to succeed, because it is in fact possible.
    I agree that in many aspects it is very like hiking with a child who you must be responsible for at all times, only as you have pointed out, they are not quite so welcome in many stores and hostels (and apparently hiker blogs) as children are. Children also have the added benefit of being able to dig cat-holes handle their business on their own, and tend not to roll around in funny-smelling things Yea it's no cakewalk, but that doesn't mean it's not worth trying. I'm just trying to give us the best shot at going the distance that I can line up
    I am genuinely and respectfully curious about your recommendation for only a section hike, and why that would be easier
    As always, I'd love to talk story with any other dog backpackers or enthusiasts

Here ya go.....take your dog anywhere and authorities cannot tell you no. No training involved no reason needed, just your hard earned cash.

http://www.certifymydog.com/

I know of a number of hikers who have utilized this site to "Certify" their pets as service animals.

Right on 100 percent any1 who thinks different hasn't done their omework ..I have yet 2 c a happy dog long distance hikg even my wonderful lulu struggled and I took fantastic and loving care of her ..she came first evry single mile..if u can't give that then don't ...pleassee sooo very very please don't bring them

Images

Hahaha, this is awesome!
    I actually thought about trying something like this, but had no idea how to get started... Definitely gonna look into this! might actually try to legitimately get her a canine good citizen or something...
    But good looking out, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone View Post
    Here ya go.....take your dog anywhere and authorities cannot tell you no. No training involved no reason needed, just your hard earned cash.

I know of a number of hikers who have utilized this site to "Certify" their pets as service animals.
    Well, I'm thoroughly disgusted. I know people with real service dogs who I think would agree, if they could see that site.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

you mean they allow dogs on the AT? internal frame packs, & now dogs too? who the hells in charge, whats going on around here

What bothers me, is not the fact that there are sites like this, but that hikers would use this means just to be able to hike with their dogs. Any hiker on this site who claims that hikers don't have a sense of entitlement only need look as far as this post. Hikers who do this without being disabled or having a true need for a service dog are people with low morals and should be run off the trail. Next thing, they'll be rummaging through others packs to see what they can take. I agree...disgusting.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Oh I am ticked off about it as well. Ran into a fellow at hawk mountain shelter a few weeks ago and struck up a conversation about his service dog and why he needed one.......Truth of the matter was he didn't need one.... but went to that website and got papers for his dog so he could hike in the smokies with him.

Makes a fellow just shake his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Lea13 View Post
    I am genuinely and respectfully curious about your recommendation for only a section hike, and why that would be easier
    Most dogs don't do well on long distance hikes. It really beats them up and wears them out. By doing sections, you don't go so far at any one time to put undo stress on the dog and it gives it time to recover for the next time. There is no question that some dog breeds do okay on a thru-hike, but most don't.

I belive Stonedflea's dog made it most, if not all the way this year. It was touch and go for a while, the dog's pads were getting chewed up pretty bad by the granite rocks in Maine. She frequents WB, so maybe she will chime in. Not sure if she has a trailjournals or not, might be worth checking...

I'm not sure you can get away with the "service dog" certificate in the Smokies. If you run into a ranger, it will be pretty obvious to him/her that you don't need a service dog.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well from an old owl - rules other than the commandments are there to be rewritten - HYOH and be prepared to be challenged.

Remember WB is nothing more than opinion. - and freedom!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I am sorry this thread is offending people, that was not my intent in starting it or in my reaction to seeing the way our government handles things like service dogs. I did some looking and there really doesn't seem to be one singular organization approved by the ADA in charge of checking the legitimacy of service dogs and handing out licenses. That's not to say there aren't places that have very rigid standards that turn out fantastic dogs that make a world of differences in their people's lives, believe me I know there are and I have nothing but respect for them and the wonderful people who train them.
    Of all the fraud I've seen in my life, though, I personally don't feel like sneaking your dog into a grocery store is the thing that's gonna bring down society. The legislation is very vague, and some people's service dog can sense when a person is going to go into seizure and warns them to take medication, other dogs help people stay mentally stable, like those with extreme anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder. These can be perfectly legitimate reasons for having a service dog, even though their humans look perfectly normal, and legally the handler does not have to disclose any medical information regarding their condition.
    I do not claim to be anything other than what I am, but I probably will look into getting a canine good citizen cert (AKC actually tests dogs/ people in person before giving the cert)

In the meantime, I apparently can't a positive spin on this thread, so: Thank you all for the useful information and advice that I did get out of this little experiment, it has surely given me a great deal to think about and I appreciate the input, but this is going to be my last post in this thread. I don't wish to antagonize anyone else or give anymore negative connotations to backpacking with dogs.

Peace, Love, and Happy Trails, All!

Dogs on the trail are a hot topic. I sectioned New Jersey early this summer with my Border Collie puppy. We both had a great time but in retrospect I think she was a bit to young for the long days we put in. Despite that it was a great experience and it allowed us to bond. I wouldn't bring my adult dog because he is just too aggressive. The point is you have to use common sense since you will be interacting with other people. Most of the people we came across happily engaged with the dog. I met a wonderful woman from Brazil who spent time playing with her. The puppy was a great conversation starter. Many thru hikers were just focused on their hike. An of course, there were people where were not friendly at all-I think they would be like this even if I didn't have a dog. However, she was alot of work. I can't imagine attempting doing the entire hike with a dog. Perhaps it I did it in section that would be a different story. Also think about time when you go into town. You will be limited going in restaurants, hotels. It is a very difficult decision but do what your heart tells you. It is wonderful at the end of the day having dinner with you buddy after a long day of hiking.

Images

Oh I am ticked off about it as well. Ran into a fellow at hawk mountain shelter a few weeks ago and struck up a conversation about his service dog and why he needed one.......Truth of the matter was he didn't need one.... but went to that website and got papers for his dog so he could hike in the smokies with him.

Makes a fellow just shake his head.
    If you are so ticked off about it, why did you post a link for every scumbag hiker that wants to make everyone else look bad?
    It's a great day to be alive !

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Every dog loves to go out and run around for a few hours - then spend the rest of the day laying on the coach. Pretty much any dog can do a few days or a week of hiking. But a thru-hike is a whole different ball game. Walking 10 to 20 miles a day, with few days off, for 4 to 6 months is an endurance test for both man and beast. Few people can do it and even fewer dogs can. It is telling that no one has yet come forward here and said "yes, both my dog and I have completed a thru-hike".

My intial premise still stands: If your serious about completing a thru-hike, don't bring your dog. If you do bring your dog, be prepaired to either send it home or end your hike, probably sooner than later.

For someone like the OP who apperently is going to travel quite a distance and at no small expense, would be wise to leave his beloved buddy home with someone to look after, rather then handycap himself with the extra burden of the dog and seriously increasing the chances of having to end the hike early.
    while i get your general sentiment, not all of your statements are exactly correct. my dogs would rather hike all day than sit on the couch. when i stop for a break, bella will break for awhile, get some water, and then bounce up the trail and back to me, giving her little "let's GO mama!" whine. when i finally put my pack back on, she's like a puppy, running in circles.
    as for an earlier statement made, when i attempted a thru-hike back in 1996, i sent my blue heeler home for the smokies part. once she figured out what was going on, it took both my father and i to get her into his car. it was like the cartoon where the animal sticks out all four legs and braces on the door frame. when my dad met me on the other side with her, she looked horrible. he said she cried the entire week and didn't eat, just sat by the door. when she got out of the car back up north, she knocked me to the ground, slobbered all over me and when she felt like she had done enough of that business, she ran over and lay down on her pack and bored holes into me with her eyes. "you are NOT leaving without me again". i got the message. when we finally did get off the trail, it was due to my inability to go on, not hers. however, i also understand that that is not always the case. some do not take good care of their dogs and those people should not be out there. but without knowing this person and her dog, who are you to judge whether or not she is one of those?

i can't believe you posted that. you should be ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lea13 View Post
    Hahaha, this is awesome!
    I actually thought about trying something like this, but had no idea how to get started... Definitely gonna look into this! might actually try to legitimately get her a canine good citizen or something...
    But good looking out, thanks!
    please don't do this. if you are not in need of a service animal, then you would be doing a disservice to those that do, just to get your own way. that is childish and selfish. abide by the rules or stay home. i hope you and your furbaby get to do your hike, but please do it the right way. it is people that abuse the systems that get the privileges taken away from those that truly need them.

Images

I am a dog lover and I have also read lots of trail journals and alot of the journals talk about the dogs foot pads where down so bad that the dog is really in jeopardy. Most of them either sent their dogs home or took multiple zero days and/or had to put canine boots on their dogs. The most annoying things I read was that owners let their dogs loose at the shelters and dogs peed on others backpacks I would be furious if that happened to me. That might bring the pitbull out in me. LOL.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Journal Entries
    Images

I cannot believe some of the posts I read - SLO GE'EN - BUGER - Leave your dog at home - once again - folks read the damn toss.

There is a constant bunch of piss and posts from people that do not have dogs in this forum and its beyond irritating and if that makes me old so be it.

thousands of dogs cover over 1,049 miles in 9–15 days from Anchorage to Nome.

We are here to support and provide good information to people who want to bring their dogs - not their parrots...

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

what he said.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++