WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Snowshoeing Gear Advice Needed!

Hey all,

We got rocked here in central PA with snow. I was trekking around a bit near where I live to test out my snow set up before the real deal rolls in.

++Boots++
    Right now I have a pair of these: http://www.salomon.com/us/product/exit-2-aero.html

I tried to waterproof them with NikWax spray on waterproofer. After putting numerous coats on, I thought I'd be good to go. Moreover, by combining them with a pair of a goretex gaiters they seemed like they were be great. Nonetheless, the wet snow seeped through the boots and got my socks wet.

I don't want this to happen when I snowshoe!

What type of boots would you guys recommend? I do not want something too heavy. Or, maybe I just need better waterproofer?

++Leg gear++
    For my legs I have a pair of Columbia rain pants and some nice goretex gaiters. My legs stayed plenty warm in the snow today! I wore long underwear under the rain pants and it worked great. My snow pants seemed liked they'd be overkill for snowshoeing and trekking about. Unless it was sub zero, I think I'd work up a sweat.

++Upper Body++
    Shell - NorthFace Venture - kept me dry and kept the warmth in. Opened the pit zips and it didn't cause me to sweat.
    Insulation - EMS Summit fleece vest - worked well.
    - Another option: I have a NorthFace Denali as well that I can use

I am wanting to get a down jacket. Currently I do not own one and the Denali is my warmest jacket for outdoor activity. I think I want the Eddie Bauer Down Sweater or Down Shirt. I am not sure which I should go with. They look like the best deal out there. Any suggestions??

Thanks for the help!

Those boots (shoes) were made for walkin' (but not in the snow). You can be a nut-case like me and experiment with full strap-on crampons on trail runners, or you can buy boots designed for snowy conditions. If you use those shoes, you'll have to do something similar to what I did when I was experimenting as above: Use waterproof socks (Sealskinz and Rocky) are two companies that make them. I was fine walking in 20-30 degree weather, but once I stopped, the chill set in immediately. My Sealskinz are waterproof but not insulated. As soon as we reached camp (in NY on the AT in Feb. a couple of years ago) I put on dry socks and down booties. I slept with the Sealskinz in a plastic bag to keep them from freezing and only put them on immediately before we headed out the next day.
    Salomon does make waterproof and insulated boots which you could purchase, or you could look into an overboot, such as the NEOS brand (I have the top end, which is waterproof, insulated, heavy, clunky, don't fit into my Atlas snowshoe bindings without a struggle, and were expensive). I don't use them often, but I haven't been snowshoeing much the past few years, either. I hope to reverse that trend this year.
    Hope this helps, enjoy your early winter. It's still raining here.

Here's what I have: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...9x80488x724355
    My boots are the Navigators.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I was checking out some snow boots out there. I am thinking these Salomon boots aren't going to cut it. It just seems like all the snow boots are so bulky, heavy, and expensive. I want something that's light and doesn't come up way above my ankle. It would be great if it wasn't so expensive either.

I took a look at those NEOS. I am afraid they might be hard to get into my bindings, especially since I wear a size 12.

Journal Entries

I wear Gore-Tex hiking boots with Gore-Tex gaitors, works fine, dry, warm feet.

Images

Hmmmm. The villagers are pretty cool. They don't seem too bad. Are they OK for snow or are they geared for rain?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    Hmmmm. The villagers are pretty cool. They don't seem too bad. Are they OK for snow or are they geared for rain?
    The tread on most is geared toward urban use.

Yes, the Navigators, as I stated, are a tight fit into snowshoe bindings, I wear the XL, and they just barely fit. I'll get some external sole measurements to post in a few minutes.

The XLs are 13-1/4"x 5-1/4" (you metric folks are on your own ).

Last edit on this post - I was wearing a size 12 Asics trail runner. They fit lengthwise easily but were a little snug in the forefoot because the outsole is flared.
    Last edited by Tinker; 10-29-2011 at 22:08.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Maybe I'd be better off with those New Balance shoes? They claim to be "snowshoe friendly".

Belive it or not, I had good luck with a pair of insulated boots which I got at Wally World for $39 last winter. With a pair of heavy wool socks, I had them out to -10 for a few hours without cold toes, so long I was active. (They claimed to be good for -15) The only problem is they don't have a little ridge on the back of the heal to hold a snowshoe strap in place to keep it from slipping off the back of the heal. I solved that problem with a piece of string looped around the back of the heal strap to tie around to the front of the boot.

Though I have been thinking it might be worth spending real money on a boot which is narrower (to fit my crampons better) and has a stiffer sole so it flexes less.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Maybe I'd be better off with those New Balance shoes? They claim to be "snowshoe friendly".
    Only if they fit. Try on a bunch of insulated boots. Don't buy shoes online unless you've bought the exact same model and size before (I know, I've done this and have found that shoe makers tweak the last (shoe form) almost every year. I ordered same size and model of shoe to find out that they were wider in the heel (I have a narrow heel). Lesson learned by me.

The ONLY boots that are actually, really waterproof for any length of time are made of rubber. I was an early adopter (like the 1st year they were availabel) of gore-tex boots and suffered for years with wet feet when hunting. I noticed guides would always wear rubber boots, but I convinced myself they would be too sweaty, not breathable, not have good traction, etc.. Finally, I tried some LaCrosse ankle fit rubber boots- I will never go back to lace up boots for cold/wet weather hiking. They keep water/snow out, come onsulated and uninsulated and in different heights, and because they have no laces, your foot isn't constricted and stays warmer.

http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/burl...ots-22036.html

Quote Originally Posted by bobqzzi View Post
    The ONLY boots that are actually, really waterproof for any length of time are made of rubber. I was an early adopter (like the 1st year they were availabel) of gore-tex boots and suffered for years with wet feet when hunting. I noticed guides would always wear rubber boots, but I convinced myself they would be too sweaty, not breathable, not have good traction, etc.. Finally, I tried some LaCrosse ankle fit rubber boots- I will never go back to lace up boots for cold/wet weather hiking. They keep water/snow out, come onsulated and uninsulated and in different heights, and because they have no laces, your foot isn't constricted and stays warmer.

http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/burl...ots-22036.html
    Hey, neighbor!
    How far have you hiked in those things? They look like the boots I used to wear while unloading fishing boats in Galilee (RI).
    I wouldn't walk very far in those, though I could stand on the covered dock at the Fisherman's Co-op in winter all day without freezing my toes off (of course, I was in my early 20s then).

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I wrote this article on snowshoeing basics that may be helpful:
    http://www.pmags.com/intoduction-to-snowshoeing-basics
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Thanks, Paul. I teach X-C skiing every year with the Narragansett Chapter of the AMC, and there are few people who realize how overheated you can get in the winter. Most of my beginner students overdress and get soaked with sweat and freeze when they stop. This is one of the big no-no things to do in the winter. I just thought I'd bring it up because of the winter conditions we're enjoying (tell me you are) in the East, and what is to follow.

The Weather Channel tells folks to dress in layers, but they don't say how many or what material.
    I have a standard way in which I teach layering.
    1) More thin layers is better than fewer thick layers.
    2) Only use wool or synthetic materials when exerting yourself in cold weather.
    3) Dress with thinnest layers against the skin progressing in thickness towards the outer layer (not including the windproof one).
    4) The outermost layer should be windproof and/or waterproof, and,
    5) Don't wait until you're sweating profusely to shed layers. The inner layers will be soaked by this time and could add to the chill factor once you cease exercise.
    Last edited by Tinker; 10-30-2011 at 23:21.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Heard about the winter conditions back East. :O (We had a freak snowstorm last week here in CO)

I grew up in RI. I remember shoveling the driveway during my teenage years. I'd be wearing one thick, heavy and invariably cotton shelled parka that would leave me covered with sweat and then chilled once it was soaked with snow. Naturally, I'd be in thick cotton socks, blue jeans and wearing 'work' boots, too.

Ah..those were the (border line hypothermic) days!

I'll probably update the article in the coming month or so (photos of course, and I may mention soft shells...we'll see) but the overall advice is pretty solid if I do say so.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-30-2011 at 23:14.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Thanks for the info guys

I am going to see if those boots I found work out. Also, I lucked out and found a Sierra Designs Gnar for $80. Hopefully they all fit well once they arrive!

Thanks for the info guys

I am going to see if those boots I found work out. Also, I lucked out and found a Sierra Designs Gnar for $80. Hopefully they all fit well once they arrive!
    Got a link for that $80.00 Gnar? I'm sure someone else would appreciate it.

Images

Here ya go:
    They have a few sweet deals here.

Gnar Jacket: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sie...colorFamily=01

Flex Down Jacket: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sie...colorFamily=01

Gnar Hoody: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sie...colorFamily=01

Gnar Vest: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sie...colorFamily=01

They have a bunch of women's jackets as well. Just look around for a 30% off code. They have them out there all the time. That's how I got it down to $80.

Thanks. We used to have a thread here where people could post great deals. I don't know where it went or what the post title to the thread was.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Hey, neighbor!
    How far have you hiked in those things? They look like the boots I used to wear while unloading fishing boats in Galilee (RI).
    I wouldn't walk very far in those, though I could stand on the covered dock at the Fisherman's Co-op in winter all day without freezing my toes off (of course, I was in my early 20s then).
    That's the interesting thing- they are very, very comfortable to walk in despite looking so clunky. If you want dry, warm feet, they are the only way to go. I'd say the longest day was about 10 miles in about 18" of snow- maybe 2 miles on a road, the rest cross country in Maine.
    Last edited by bobqzzi; 10-31-2011 at 20:30.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++