WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Exclamation Mountain Lion Spotted in NH! Photo Taken with Game Camera

My daughter's friends are hunters from the Peterborough NH area and this past weekend shared this photo they captured of a large Mountain Lion in one of there tree stand cameras.
    The photo was taken near the Peterborough/Dublin NH line. This proves now that there are Mountain Lions in New England and by the size of this cat it has be
    been eating "large".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hope she hasn't been eating "large hikers"....

Reports on mountain lions all over the northeast, this is pretty neat with the confirmed photo. A friend of mine swears that he has seen mountain lion tracks and what he tells me often hears a "scream" they emit on the perimeter of his wooded propety in a rural portion of NJ.

Images

great! I can see the next new thread "how do i protect myself from mountain lions on the trail?"
    awesome pic,but couldnt they get a little closer?

lotsa black "catamounts" in northern vermont. seen one some years back

I figured it's just a matter of time before one of the ATC's cameras in the megatransect project captures a panther on film.

Journal Entries

A friend of mine shot one robbing his chicken coup in Stoneville, NC. Near the southern mountains.
    Tridavis

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I saw one on the AT about 4 miles south of Harpers Ferry in October 2001.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries

Friend of mine shot one back in the spring trying to rob his chicken coup. He lives in Stoneville, NC south of the mountains.
    Tridavis

I saw one on our property on Cardigan Mt (about 20 miles east of Hanover) in 2009. Scariest thing in the world to see a cat without a cage between you and him. You didn't have to convince me. We set up a camera at the top of our property this summer with some catnip as bait, but never got a pic.

Send it to John Harrigan He's love to see it. He writes about cat sightings all the time in NH. John Harrigan's column appears in the New Hampshire Sunday News. His address is Box 39, Colebrook 035676. Email him at [email protected].

Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

I saw one on our property on Cardigan Mt (about 20 miles east of Hanover) in 2009. &nbsp;Scariest thing in the world to see a cat without a cage between you and him. &nbsp;You didn't have to convince me. &nbsp; We set up a camera at the top of our property this summer with some catnip as bait, but never got a pic.&nbsp;<br><br>Send it to John Harrigan &nbsp;He's love to see it. &nbsp; He writes about cat sightings all the time in NH. &nbsp;<i style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">John Harrigan's column appears in the New Hampshire Sunday News. His address is Box 39, Colebrook 035676. Email him at [email protected].&nbsp;<br><span style="font-family:arial;"></span><br></i><span style="font-family:arial;"></span>
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Oops - copied and pasted John Harrigan info from Union Leader website. Sorry.

. &nbsp;<i style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">John Harrigan's column appears in the New Hampshire Sunday News. His address is Box 39, Colebrook 035676. Email him at [email protected].&nbsp;<br><span style="font-family:arial;"></span><br></i><span style="font-family:arial;"></span>[/QUOTE]
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

im more worried about the ticks..... please these cats anit got NOTHING ON ME!@!! i do parkour lol

Why hasn't a newspaper article been posted?

Images

Awe-inspiring pic! Thank you so much for sharing!

Default Big Foot Sighting at Rock Gap ( with Picture)

Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation The presence of cougars in the East

has NEVER been doubted.

What has also NEVER been found is one iota of evidence of a breeding colony of wild, indigenous cougars east of the Mississippi and north of Florida.

No matter how reliable is the data of having seen a cougar in the area, that data is as meaningful as the sighting of a tiger roaming free in Ohio last week. A cougar found in the Appalachians is almost certainly a released "pet" or a midwest cougar that has wandered far from any potential mates.
    Can wild cougars travel that far without detection? Absolutely. When they get there, will they have any mates to breed with, and continue their presence for more than a few years? Absolutely not.

Always remember these two facts:
    1) a breeding colony of thirty cougars in Florida was NOT large enough to sustain their survival for more than a couple decades. Thus, any colony no larger than that will die out in fifty years at most.
    2) the Florida colony left an immeasurable amount of evidence of their presence, decade after decade.
    The idea that there is a colony in the east (1) larger than the Florida one that has (2) completely escaped detection for more than a century is utterly absurd.

This is why this group
    http://www.easterncougar.org/pages/beyondsightings.htm
    which would be THRILLED to confirm a presence of such a colony -- indeed, that is what they are advocating and educating for -- makes the following statement:

Are cougars now recovering in the East?
    Not yet. Despite more sophisticated technology for finding cougars, and with more people looking than ever before, less evidence has appeared in the last decade than in the 1990s (perhaps because of recent strict legislation prohibiting interstate trade in exotic cats and new state laws prohibiting private ownership of such cats).
    Sanctioned studies since the late 1990s by the CRF, research universities, and state and federal wildlife agencies in NY, NJ, PA, MD, VA, WV, and KY have failed to find evidence of cougars. Incidental evidence such as roadkills, accidental shootings or trappings, and photographs captured by privately owned remote wildlife cameras is nearly absent.
    Even in Midwestern states with low or emerging cougar populations, incidental evidence appears with reliable frequency.

I am thrilled with the prospect that I will most likely live to see the day when colonies of wild cougars return to their natural habitat in the east. However, I see no evidence that this has yet occurred.

Images

Very nice presentation. I am sold. thank you

who cares about a big bloody cat. he said there not their.

It's an interesting story, and that's a big cat, but how do I know where the photo was taken or if it's a real photo? Could your daughters friends give us some testimony? Same goes for the Big Foot picture, post#16. I don't know it's origin or if it's authentic. I'd need a lot of testimony on that one.
    virgil

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++