WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Cold temps, Advice for the weekend.

Ok guys, This weekend they are calling for what is now 6-10 inches ... started at 4-6 ... My bag is a montbell #4 at 35f ... i have NOT bought a warmer bag yet for my thru hike in march ... Every year i hit the mountains for halloween night ... Can i get away with sucking it up and carrying a fleece blanket too add warmth too the bag, and sleeping in my thermals, down inner and beanie? Hot water bottle before bed at the foot on my bag? What else can i do too add more warmth just for the weekend till i pick up a warmer bag ... I'd REALLY hate too have this weather force me home because my gear isn't totally up too par for the temps ...

I really don't wanna cancel the weekend, and once i'm droped off ... i'm on my own till monday .. already gonna take a warmer non mesh tent ...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

Journal Entries

I would not carry a fleece blanket. If you have a down sweater simply zip it up over the bottom of your bag or take your fleece and pull it over the bottom of the bag. Wearing a stocking cap will help tremendously too. Long underwear and socks also are a good idea. Be careful you might get too warm!

Images

what pad are you using?

Images

Thermarest neoair.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

Consider getting a closed-cell foam pad from wally-world. put it on top of the neo for extra insulation. It really does help.

I'd be most concerned about the wet snow. Take precautions to stay dry!!

Wear a hat, wear gloves, wear your top insulating layer like down jacket or fleece. Wear some heavy socks to sleep in. Also eat something high calorie like a candy bar before you turn in. Make sure you give your bag a really good fluffing up.

Images

A trick I just heard of for neoair in cold weather: blow it up harder. The thicker it is the more insulation. This appears to be true of many insulated air mattresses. I used my short original version neoair last weekend in the high 30s (but the weather and my clothing and bag were dry). I was OK except for my feet which were not on the mattress. I put my pack under my feet then they were fine.

I would bring a fleece blanket; I agree with Sapelo's other suggestions, just be careful not to compress your bag's loft too much.

Do you have time to test things out in your yard before you leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    A trick I just heard of for neoair in cold weather: blow it up harder. The thicker it is the more insulation. This appears to be true of many insulated air mattresses. I used my short original version neoair last weekend in the high 30s (but the weather and my clothing and bag were dry). I was OK except for my feet which were not on the mattress. I put my pack under my feet then they were fine.

I would bring a fleece blanket; I agree with Sapelo's other suggestions, just be careful not to compress your bag's loft too much.

Do you have time to test things out in your yard before you leave?
    Blowing up a pad harder does work, initally, at least, since the cold from the ground causes the air inside the pad to contract.
    Moisture from breath will turn to ice crystals inside the pad, so for extended trips it's better to let the pad self inflate, warming it up under your jacket so the foam softens a bit (if it has foam).
    Jack Stephenson www.warmlite.com invented a stuffsack with a built in pump for his down air mattresses. It only fits his mattresses or items with a Boston Valve, but he solved the problem of blowing up a down insulated pad without getting moisture from breath into it. Exped used to make a down mattress with a pump. I haven't checked lately to see if that is still the case, or if Thermarest offers a pump sack to inflate the Neo Air series.

An additional tip: Shake the down to the top of the bag before you get into it. Down often migrates to the sides (or underneath the bag if it doesn't have sideblock baffles - mine doesn't). More down on top means more warmth. Down underneath doesn't provide any appreciable insulation as it gets crushed under the weight of the user, losing its loft.
    A well insulated pad is crucial to cold weather camping.
    Last edited by Tinker; 10-28-2011 at 11:54.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Definately get a Wally blue mat to put over the neo-air. The blue mat is too thin to be used by it's self, unless you get two of them.

Don't wear too many clothes to bed, you need to heat the inside of the bag for it to work well, though hat and socks are a must.

A light fleece blanket over your bag will most likley help. I have a small down comforter I've used for extending my bag temp on occasion and it works well. It's light and packs small.

You don't say where your going, but if it's someplace in PA, its not going to be exceptionally cold, but with all that wet and melting snow, staying dry maybe the biggest issue. Having cold and wet feet might be the most annoying part of the trip.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Drive by store on the way and pick up a 20 degree bag. Your going to need it anyway.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Wearing clothes to bed only hurts:
    a) if they hold moisture,or
    b) if they compress the bag's insulation from the inside.
    Whether the body heats the insulation in the bag or the insulation in your clothing is not an issue. Insulation is insulation.

The best thing I've found to help you sleep warmer if your bag's not warm enough is a hot water bottle (bold for emphasis). A metal bottle can be heated as much as you want as long as it doesn't melt the insulated water bottle holder you'd most likely put it in (if you were me, that is). If you don't have a metal bottle, use a plastic one and water that isn't quite boiling. Put the bottle in a thick sock (or two) and sleep with it at the small of your back, tucked into your stomach, or between your legs if you're a back or belly sleeper.
    You won't believe how well it works until you try it.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++