WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maple_Sky View Post
    Most of the shelters in the Smokies have a bench and a high "table" running across the front of the shelter, which is what I used to cook on. I would say, out of courtesy, don't bring any food or drink other than water on to the sleeping platform. This summer, I had a guy spill a sugary Bailey's and coffee drink on my sleeping bag that he was drinking on the platform above me. It was not cool.

That said, even though most people are trained not to eat near where you sleep, most people I have encountered out there find it acceptable to cook around the shelter on the benches provided for cooking. Among hikers, the attitudes about keeping "smellables" out of the shelter range from "meh" to crazy strict... I stayed at a shelter with one guy who was an Army Ranger and used his food bag as a pillow, because he said if anything tried to get his food in the night, he would just "defend" his food. And there were great thuds and cursing in the night as the shelter mice breached his defenses... hahaha

On the strict side, in the Smokies this summer I was stopped at a shelter for my afternoon "cocktail" (3 ibuprofren and a cup of coffee) and was sitting on the inside bench at the table at the front of the shelter, having nice chat with some other hikers about native plants. Up walks a woman who is a paid guide for REI... she loudly proclaims that pack hangers attract bears, and cuts all the pack hangers down, even after I told her I was pretty sure the ATC sweat crew that was camped there was using them. She then announces to the women she's leading that it's ok to cook at the outside bench in front of the shelter, but not at the inside bench (which is maybe 2 feet closer to the shelter than the other bench). Since I was heating my coffee water on the "forbidden" bench, she directed her attention to me, and started giving me a lecture on Leave No Trace. I just laughed, packed up, and moved on, but I felt sorry for all the people who had to stay at the shelter that night and get "educated."

Sorry if this is too long, I have a story for everything! Just cook on the bench out front or by the firepit on a flat rock and you're fine--have a great hike!
    I have worked on sweat crews. They probably used the metal park service lock box and bear cables.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    Funny story about the "REI Guide" - sounds like she has gone out for a few weekends, read some nonsense and talked to some know-nothings in her store, collected a bunch of shiny gear and "declared herself" an expert.
    With her cock-sure ego she's like too many on WB.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Here's the sign in LeConte Shelter in the GSMNP this past week.

Rain Man

Attached Images Attached Images
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Images

Wow - I stand corrected - still though, boiling water for coffee isn't exactly "cooking"

Quote Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
    These type of people irk me to no end. I like to compare the LNT inquisitions to Star Trek's "Prime Directive". We are a part of nature whether we think so or not. Just be a part of it...
    If you notice, most Star Trek episodes were about when it was OK to violate the Prime Directive.

Images

The sign on LeConte shelter is new since July. Looks like it is posted on the side opposite the cooking bench. May be it is sponsored by the LeConte Lodge kitchen.Mt.LeConte.summer2011 037.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    The sign on LeConte shelter is new since July. Looks like it is posted on the side opposite the cooking bench. May be it is sponsored by the LeConte Lodge kitchen.Mt.LeConte.summer2011 037.jpg
    I can see that same sign in your photo. It's on the left-hand wall as you look into the sleeping area.

To me, the sign is a bit confusing. I take it that you should not cook on the sleeping platform itself.

Rain Man

Being from Alaska we were horrified at the lack of bear/animal concerns that hikers had at or around shelters on our AT hike in 2009/10. We got over it after the first night. Almost everyone cooks and eats and sometimes hang their food in the shelters. Every year you hear of stories of a bear or other animal coming into the shelters and having a snack. It never happened to us, discounting mice, but it happens. Just look around at what other people are doing and go along. Several times we had to ask people to use the cables or hang their food away from shelters. If we came to a shelter and others had already hung their food in the shelter, we did the same. My pet peeve were hikers who spilled their food and didn't clean it up.
    Relax and HYOH

Pound Hound and Garage Man

Enjoying this thread!
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

If I were not able to have the first cup of coffee in the shelter, I would fear for the poor bear that might happen to show up!

Images

Rain Man is right. The sign is there, but confusing. Here is a photo of Spence Field Shelter. If the shelf is not for cooking, then what for?SweatCrew.2010 032.jpg

yes, pretty much everyone cooks/eats/ spills crap in shelters and doesnt care about it. and people are surprised why there are so many mice at some shelters? 1 of many reasons why i dont sleep in/near shelters...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lando11 View Post
    yes, pretty much everyone cooks/eats/ spills crap in shelters and doesnt care about it. and people are surprised why there are so many mice at some shelters? 1 of many reasons why i dont sleep in/near shelters...
    I second that.....I never sleep with mice tha But seriously, do as you please just make sure just try and " leave it as you saw it ".

That is my self disciplining rule which has worked for years without REI guides or others like her complaining

Images

I always cook at the shelter and then move on to sleep. that way the bears don't bother me at my campsite because they are busy back at the shelter. Ever notice the candy wrappers and left over food that people throw under the shelter? Is it leave - no -trace if you can't see it? The best way to leave no trace would be to get rid of the shelters all together. That would reduce the number of backpackers to maybe PCT levels. Ore Hill may be the start of a movement.

Images

[QUOTE=Papa D;1213256]Tipi is making a funny because he is super big into tenting (in his big Hilleberg Tents) - he's sometimes like a pack mule but camps comfortably:

That is actually a walk-in closet under Tipis Rain cover, with a small Frigidare!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++