WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wink Earn a Man Patch for hiking the AT

I just saw a really cool website, www.manpatch.org, where they have really cool patches for accomplishing feats like the AT, John Muir Trail, PCT, etc. A cool patch to get after you finish the big hike!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dustinhawes View Post
    I just saw a really cool website, www.manpatch.org, where they have really cool patches for accomplishing feats like the AT, John Muir Trail, PCT, etc. A cool patch to get after you finish the big hike!
    Just saw it, huh? Like when you were designing it? It's better form to tell people that you are the proprietor rather than referring to yourself as "they".

FAIL
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I agree with you, I am the proprietor. I'm sorry for misrepresenting myself. I think Man Patch is a great idea, but I don't think anyone will ever see the site.

I created it as a way to inspire people to get outdoors and see the world. More specifically, to get men outdoors. Man Patch came about because of the high obesity rates in the U.S., low National Park attendance numbers, and a decline in hunting permits being purchased (less money for game wardens leading to more illegally taken game). I believe that when men and especially fathers, are inspired to get outdoors, the family follows. If we can reach that, we have accomplished our goal.

Sorry for the misrepresentation. It won't happen again.

Dustin Hawes

2010 complete

why just a "man" patch!

Great question! My wife and I are working on a patch for women. The problem is that "Woman Patch" doesn't have the right sound to it. It sounds like something pharmaceutical. Any ideas?

As a Boyscout, I love patches... The "Man Patch"es seem a little lacking to me in design, though. I think the visual impact of a patch should be more impressive if charging $15. We'll see if it takes off, I guess.

Whats over the next hill? Pioneer Spirit's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You forgot the buckeye trail. At 1444 miles its nothing to sneeze at.
    Of course that's my opinion and I could be wrong.
    Buckeye Trail 2,700 miler.

Images

i think you should send one to the record breaking attempt guy in monson, so he can get his patch before he hits the whites.

Images

why the gender?????? consider an accomplishment or adventure type patch thing? i like patches for where we go. got them sewn on my dogs pack.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries

Default ManPatch?

Was ready to purchase an AT patch as a Christmas gift for thru-hiker friend but will pass because the patch has the company name/logo on it. Sloger

Images

Hiking patches were pretty popular back years ago. People used to sew them all over the back flap of their external frame packs. I remember having AT, AMC, and a bunch or patches from places in the Whites in NH. Seems they waned in popularity as internal frames took over, but that may be more coincidence. An AT patch is problematic from a selling standpoint, as the ATC patch is very well established and recognized.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sloger View Post
    Was ready to purchase an AT patch as a Christmas gift for thru-hiker friend but will pass because the patch has the company name/logo on it. Sloger
    It looks like the logo is to prevent people from lifting the design off the website. Some of it covers the design.
    But I may be wrong

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I need a "90 Pound Club" patch for my backpack weights, but I only do around four miles a day with this load. Do you have a Girlie-Man Patch? I could wear both at the same time.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

I just saw a really cool website, www.manpatch.org, where they have really cool patches for accomplishing feats like the AT, John Muir Trail, PCT, etc.
    Looks like you more than just saw the web site. It looks like you run the business. How about some honest disclosure?

Great idea. But the "Man" thing does not fly too well down here in the Lower 48.

Quote Originally Posted by sloger View Post
    Buy from the Appalachian Trail Conservatory, they have patches, clothes and any thing you need with the AT logo.

imid158L.jpgimid568L.jpg
    https://www.atctrailstore.org/
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

There should be a vending machine at the top of Katahdin/Springer that sell tokens/patches/etc that can only be bought there.

I like that you're seeking to encourage people to get outdoors and experience the attendant challenges through the different venues - hiking, cycling, et. al.

Why does it have to be man-centric? Why are women relegated to a separate patch, unnamed and undesigned as of yet? Your site says when men, especially fathers, get outdoors, the family follows. Growing up, my mother was the hiker - she was active in the Green Mountain Club and took me on organized hikes as soon as I was old enough. It was my mother who first showed me the Appalachian Trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Buy from the Appalachian Trail Conservatory, they have patches, clothes and any thing you need with the AT logo.

imid158L.jpgimid568L.jpg
    https://www.atctrailstore.org/
    YES! I agree! The official patches from the ATC, I have a funky hat that I sew different patches on. The different places and states that I have completed, a work in progress! Maybe ya'll are right, I was a girl scout and it is kinda like earning "badges". Ha! But, the man badge....really, will it make a man feel more manly?? Maybe some men need it to stroke their ego, but when I complete the AT will it make me man enough to win the man badge??

Quote Originally Posted by dustinhawes View Post
    The problem is that "Woman Patch" doesn't have the right sound to it. It sounds like something pharmaceutical. Any ideas?
    Isn't it obvious? Bitch Patch

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Isn't it obvious? Bitch Patch
    That ain't (now, where'd we get that word from - a contraction of two words - the last one being not, but what, pray tell, is the first??) proper!

............Oh, back to the topic - You beat me to it.

I was also thinking "Alpha Bi***" or "Alpha Broad", but I might be labeled a sexist (already have been , falsely ). Man patch, Woman patch, Whatever patch.

All I can say that if it's a "Man patch" I know where it should go ).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++