WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: One Man tent

Images

Quote Originally Posted by July View Post
    Interesting comment from a "professional". First thing to come to mind, basic bio-mechanical physics. Weight/gravity/distance x physical integrity of various structures. Some things to think about...
    Term structure refers to human bio/physiology.

Images

Love my Hubba as long as I'm not going to use it in a hard rain.

Images

MSR Hubba or it's non-free standing cousin, the Carbon Reflex - I've sept very warm in the CR pushing it to 8-10" snow - using snow as a dead-man to make it psudo-free standing and single digit temps - performs like a champ. _ I've probably spent 200 nights in these tents - highly recommended

Quote Originally Posted by tridavis View Post
    Just like anything lightweight and high performance it does not last as long as the heavier stuff. It is lightweight for a reason, i.e. removal of materials. You can say all you want, but coming from a professional bike racing career, where light weight is everything, it breaks and does not last. We had sponsors replacing our equipment monthly with new stuff because the lightweight stuff did not hold up. So whether it is backpacking, bike racing, or any other activity....lightweight will not last over the long haul compared to the more stoutly, heavier equipment. Besides, why does weight really matter anyway?? if you are strong enough, and in good enough shape to carry a 40 lbs pack 20 miles a day, what does it matter??? I bet most people shave down to the minimum because they are not in the best shape for the hike that they could be in.
    20 miles with 40 lbs. doesn't feel as good while you're hiking as 20 lbs.. Feels great to take off your back though, that's for sure!

I think you're overstating the fragility of some UL gear (some of it is more durable than heavier alternatives, like anything made out of titanium, Spectra and Dyneema) but the statement isn't entirely inaccurate. Knowing how to use/maintain gear is also a factor.

Back to tents...

If I'm using a tent and I'm by myself, I use a TarpTent Moment. It has condensation issues as all single walled tents do, but it's super fast to put up and take down (1 pole, 2 stakes) has good head room, ventilation.

One other drawback to it is it almost has to be strapped to a pack externally. The carbon fiber struts at either end don't come out (easily) making it hard to fit in a pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    20 miles with 40 lbs. doesn't feel as good while you're hiking as 20 lbs.
    People who later get back to me (admittedly a small sample) after my babbling about lightweight run the spectrum. The trim and fit youngsters say they now just fly up the mountains, a whole new exhilarating experience. The mainstreamers realize they're now in the process of prolonging their hiking lifetimes. The old timers thank me for helping them to few more years.

There is no place on the continuum where intelligent lightening the load doesn't change your life for the better. As I tell people: I have no dog in this fight. Kill yourselves with the weight; I don't care. But since we're sitting here on break and you've asked about my minimal pack, I'll tell you a bit about what I've learned over 50 years of it. Once I get up and move on, do what you want and have fun either way.

Images

The Lightheart gear solo is a great tent. Plenty of room and very nicely made. Check one of those out

Images

You would be well served to wait until the arrival of the Tarptent Stratosphire 1, which should be available in a couple of weeks.

-True double wall but can separate the fly and the inner for modular use.
    -sets up fly first - great in the rain.
    -more usable volume of space than any of the suggestions so far in this thread.
    -trekking poles set up but the poles stay outside the inner tent, where they should stay.
    -modified mid design (not an A-frame) that can take some snow load.
    -31 oz with pegs.

Journal Entries

Your best bet for a light wt. single wall tent is the Mountain Laurel Designs silnylon solomid, its wt. is 13oz. You can chose a cabon fiber, but the cost is way up there. Check it out on line.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    There is no place on the continuum where intelligent lightening the load doesn't change your life for the better.
    Hard to say it any better than that.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    The "hangers" appear to be like evangelical missionaries, constantly bringing up their alternative, when not asked for.
    Yup, I find the UL crowd is the same way but I don't see any bets on when the first tarp is suggested.

just sayin'

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't see the problem thread swerve all the time - amazed - 13 posts.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I'm researching tens for a '12 thru hike as well, and it seems to me that there are several great options for tents that you will be pleased with. So many experienced hikers here have pitched in that they swear by their particular tent, which tells me you or I could probably go with any of these options and end up with a tent that does the job.

Personally, I'm looking at the TT Notch, Sublite, or Contrail (if anyone knows of any stark differences between these 3 that would be appreciated) or the LightHeart Solo. Being 5'3" and female, I suppose I have somewhat different spatial requirements as most people on here.

I just spent three days in Giant Sequoia National Park with my girlfriend in my Big Agnes Copper Spur II. I got this tent used from my brother "Cool Breeze" who used to work at Mountain Crossings. I set it up for the first time in my back yard a day before Carmen and I set out. Took me about 5 minutes to figure it out with no instructions. When we got to our site about midnight, in the rain, it took me about 2 minutes to pitch it. We put our pads and bags in and got cozy right away. It rained non-stop all night. We had not a drop in the tent. We left our boots and jackets under the vestibules outside the tent and they were pecfectly dry as well.

I haven't backpacked with this tent, only car camped so far. Carmen and I usually car camp with a day hike or two in between because we have two big dogs that need a lot of attention so we haven't taken the time to sort out the logistics of a multi-day section hike but that's in the works!

If I were prepping for a solo hike, I would be very confident taking a Copper Spur I. Free standing, side entry, dual vestbules, LOTS of room.

My other ultra-light tent experience is with a TT Contrail. Also a great tent but not free standing and it's front entry. Cool Breeze and I did a section hike on the AT a few years ago and I carried his Contrail. We also did a cross country trip together in 2008 and used his TT Rainbow on the nights it rained. Shires makes some amazing gear for sure, but as mentioned before, there is a bit of a learning curve.(easily overcome so don't let that be a total detraction) That being said, especially here in the west, a free standing tent is much more convenient IMO.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Here's the deal:

1. Write down the name of any SMD or TT single person tent and put it in a hat.

2. Stick your hand in and pull out a slip.

3. Buy that tent

My apologies for leaving out the names of so many of the other cottage tent folks who make equal and in some cases, superior, tents.

Last week, I slept my first night in my new Mountain Hardwear Sprite 1. A little over 3 lbs so I guess it's not ultralight but it's the smallest tent I've ever had so I'm getting used to it. The setup is easy and I like the side entrance and vestibule.

I only acquired it because it was offered by Mountain Hardwear as a warranty replacement for an out-of-stock tent I had purchased 4 years ago.

Journal Entries

The best for the money and wt.! I use this one and it is so easy to pack up and setup.

http://www.rei.com/product/819973/kelty-salida-2-tent

C
    an't stand up in it, but I was recently in cold windy conditions and felt no wind or rain at all! Awesome for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Here's the deal:

1. Write down the name of any SMD or TT single person tent and put it in a hat.

2. Stick your hand in and pull out a slip.

3. Buy that tent

My apologies for leaving out the names of so many of the other cottage tent folks who make equal and in some cases, superior, tents.
    x2, but throw MLD, Zpacks, Lightheart into the mix.

I'd like to try a hammock some time, but it's kinda hard when you're above the treeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    One other drawback to it is it almost has to be strapped to a pack externally. The carbon fiber struts at either end don't come out (easily) making it hard to fit in a pack.
    How are you folding the tent? I sort of fold it in half and roll it up, and it fits fine in my pack.

And I can't seem to find the edit button.

Quote Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead View Post
    ...And I can't seem to find the edit button.
    Here's how you edit: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Ah, thanks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++