Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking NOBO group for us ladies who are looking for a hiking partner

Hey all! I'm trying to put together a group of ladies (any age) who will be attempting a NOBO hike in March 2012, and would prefer to find a hiking partner instead of going solo and just "starting out" with a loose group. The start date would be between March 19th and 21st. I can't really nail down the start date until later, but it would allow for those that wanted to do the approach trail and those who don't (ex, approach trail group could start the 20th and meet up on top of Springer on the 21st with those who didn't want to do the approach trail).

I already know I will probably get a few posts from veteran hikers about how you will naturally find hiking partners along the trail, and I know they are correct. But it would be nice to be able to start with some other ladies who are also looking for a partner (it betters the odds). I do figure the inital group will split up into smaller groups as we go due to pace, daily milage differences, and personalities. But that is what I'm hoping for.

My plan is to start off slow, with 7-10 miles a day max at the beginning. I'm not out for race, but would rather be able to enjoy the scenery (at least on the good weather days), besides which I will probably be wearing an annoying knee brace (old injury) which may slow me down a bit. I'm not real fast, but once I get in my groove, I can go for quite a while.

If anyone is interested, leave a post, or PM me, and we'll see what we can come up with. Looking forward to March!

Pre Planning 2012 Thru Hike Switchback2012's Avatar
    Images

Chaco727,

I am interested in finding a few hiking partners but I am not starting until April...

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

It would be nice to find some people to hike with, but I'm starting on March 8th. Little too early to catch the train! I'm sure some of you will be catching up with me, though, lol! Good luck.
    -Tammy (a-ka) <><

Will Turner
    : This is either madness or brilliance.
    Captian Jack Sparrow: It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide.
    (POTC - The Curse of the Black Pearl)

I'm planning on starting out right around those dates and I'm solo. Definitely keep me in the loop, naturally the hiker community on the trail will bring all kinds of people together, but I do like the idea of starting out with a group, at least in the beginning. Plus it might ease the conscious of some of my family members who think its crazy to do this alone.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I want to go! Please let me go! I'm old enough, and, besides, I will be with others.~~~ If you will let me be in your group, then maybe I can avoid the nay-sayers by saying, "Sure, I will be with not just a partner but also partners.
    One is from Utah with the trailname Chaco. Another's trailname is Switchback. A couple of others have not really nailed their trailnames, but they will be with us too." That ought to do it.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Default March 21st

I plan on starting on the 21st. My dad may hike a few days with me in the beginning but then I'll be on my own. Keep me updated on everyone's plans!!!

Hi-
    I am hoping to begin in Spring 2012, but am not sure I'll get the time away from my work. I am also looking for women to hike with-my husband and sons would feel more comfortable about my safety if I am with others and I agree. I have also been told that I'll find natural partners but would prefer start out with a couple of women. I'm 53, but so far have no medical issues.

I will be heading up the approach trail on the 20th and starting the trail in earnest on the 21st after my first night in camp!

Very excited and would love to have some others to start with - if anyone is interested feel free to pm me

:banana Two NOBO will be looking you up!

My friend and I will be starting about the same time...still pinning down the day, but would love to be in the group if it works out. Neither of us have trail names yet. Please message me to help us stay in the loop. Is it possible for us to 'talk' some of our planning out since we'll be headed north together. We are so excited!

Thumbs up Seeing a Trend Here

I too am in search of a group so that my father will be able to sleep at night. I am frustrated with the idea that women aren't supposed to hike alone but I'll conform for the sake of his sanity I suppose. Truth be told, it'd probably be a comfort for the beginning as well and then I can see where the trail takes me. So yes Chaco! I am interested! I was hoping to start in early April, but if this group really pans out I would be willing to start earlier.

There are so far 3 of us confirmed to be starting hiking on the 20th - if anyone else wants to chat or is seriously looking to come along at that time feel free to contact me.
    I'm also happy to discuss any planning, gear, food things or anything related for getting ready for the adventure!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone too!

Hi Group,
    Will be starting between 3/10 and 3/13. This is my first attempt at a thru-hike. Still selecting gear.
    Will be a slow start but will keep heading north. Advice on gear would be great.

Thanks

Hey, I'm planning a NOBO thru-hike this early March. I'm a teenage girl from VA and would love to hike with one or more other girls. I would prefer someone in VA or a neighboring states so we could go on a few hikes to get to know each other first. I need to get the AT done by the end of August so I need someone who can do 12-15 miles per day. I'd rather be sure to have someone to start out with than have to find a partner along the trail. I'm also looking to go with someone who is committed to doing the whole trail. Please PM.

Thanks

Images

Lots of good wishes for all you ladies hiking in 2012. I'll be out there in GA in March and hope to meet a bunch of you. Kinnickinic, shouldn't known you wouldn't give up!

Please count me in. I had a vague plan of starting sometime mid-March to very early April. Seems much more real to have a firm date - I'm getting very excited!

Hey there,
    Will be starting March 7th on the approach trail. Expect that all of you may pass me by at some point, as I have TWO knee braces and am VERY slow on downhills due to previous running issues. The tortoise wins the race, right? Sounds like a wonderful community of lady hikers will be on the trail next Spring - looking forward to meeting all of you! Best of luck with your planning. Sashay, if you have specific gear questions, would love to help - have spend hours every night online looking over what's out there. Did a shake-down hike on Isle Royal last August and loved my new acquisitions. Not a gear head, but have some ideas on what works for me.

Even at the ripe age of 53, my 83 year old father is worried about my trip

Remember to "Hike your own hike!"

Springer Fever already!

Hey there, springer fever is stirring in my heart. Would like to start with others sometime in March, have a bum knee tho and will be waaayy slow to start, thinking 6 miles daily. Anybody else?
    The mind can go in a thousand directions,
    But on this beautiful path, I walk in peace.
    With each step a gentle wind blows.
    -Thich Nhat Hanh

hey Sashay, are you interested in ultralight? once upon a time I had gear down to about 12 pounds, food and water on top of that, I agree from experience with Ray Jardine, less you carry better you feel
    -Thich Nhat Hanh

Hi all! I am planning on starting a thru-hike in early March (exact date TBD) and while I realize that I probably won't end up staying with the same person throughout the entire hike, I do like the idea of at least starting out with someone/some people. I am 21 and I plan on starting with lower mileages and slowly working up to longer days. Send me a pm and let me know if you are interested!

Hi ya'll, I noted the post from DeeHiker about hiking in your 50's and wonder- since am turning 50 in 2012 if any NOBO females are interested in support group sort of thing. DeeHiker received lots of encouraging replies from various over 50's but am thinking in particular that I would like to know other women in my age group who are starting in March. Think we have shared circumstances like menopause creating slow muscle building, fibromyalgia, family concerns etc.
    -Thich Nhat Hanh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++