WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: January Start

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Actually, it doesn't even take alot of snow to lose the trail. I was attempting hiking from Dickie Gap to Damascus last week. Friday was wet and cold going over Mt Rogers and after a mere miserable 6 miles, my friend and I called it a day at the thomas Knob shelter. Later that day the rain turned to freezing fog then snow. We awoken Saturday to about 2 inches on the ground and more still coming down. We eat, pack up and hike on south. When we arrive at Elk Garden the snow, sleet and wind picked up significantly. I was walking in pure whiteout conditions and completely unable to see the trail around me. Finally a couple with a dog walked up behind me and the dog led us down to the gap/parking lot. Without knowing when/if the storm will finally let up and with more open areas ahead, we decided to hitch into town. I've done 3 previous winter month hikes but had never had one with weather this extreme. When they say the mountains are wild, they're not just talking about the lack of civiliztion nearby.

My advice, wait till Spring.
    This is a fine example of the stuff winter backpackers seek out---whiteout conditions, a high meadow pass (Elk Garden), and the opportunity to set up in the meadow and hunker down for a couple days. The fact is, a Southern Appalachian winter storm WILL let up eventually, though it may take 4 to 7 days. What's wrong with getting the shelter squared away (I mean a tent) and going to basecamp mode for a while?

Which brings me to another important point: Winter AT backpackers must be prepared to alter their schedules, sometimes drastically. Such changes often causes them to quit the trip and bail as the 2,000 mile monster eggs them on and on in impossible conditions. Forget the beast and forget the schedule and just be glad to be out during a fine snowstorm. What if mvt stops for a day or two? So what? So what if you can only do two miles a day in deep snow or severe cold? It's called Winter Backpacking. The big old 15 to 20 mile days you've scheduled beforehand mean little when Miss Nature decides to open up a can of winter whop lash and wallops you with a high ridge winter storm. You'll be lucky to pull four miles a day. Which is totally all right.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    If you start in mid to late Feb. you'll still get some winter, but less of it.
    Here's a couple links from people that went through the smokies in March 2010 and were basically the first ones to make it through. It was a high snow year and kind of tough, but doable for the prepared:
    .http://www.benbenvieblog.com . Photo blog by a professional photographer.
    .http://postholer.com/journal/viewJou...entry_id=13143.
    Brianle's trail journal; he's on WB with screen name Brianle or Gadget. He had previously done the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) and had lots of experience.

His whole trailjournal is interesting.

I'd say worry about the north when and if you get there. If you're fast and get there too soon, Vermont, NH and Maine may be almost impossible.
    Thanks for the postholer link. Now I've got more to read on my next winter trip!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    .http://postholer.com/journal/viewJou...entry_id=13143.
    Brianle's trail journal; he's on WB with screen name Brianle or Gadget. He had previously done the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) and had lots of experience.
    His whole trailjournal is interesting.
    Brian (Gadget) is a week away from completing his SOBO CDT, finishing his Triple Crown! It has been fun to read on him every day the past two years.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Thank you all for your extremely helpful responses. I don't want to be an arrogant idiot here. I've looked at a lot of the journals of people who have tried January starts, and yeah...it's not encouraging.

The two things that probably worry me most are the difficulty of seeing blazes in snow and the fact that it would be serious winter in the mountains when I got there. I don't have experience navigating in the woods and I don't have the time right now to train rigorously so that I could carry all the gear/food that is really necessary for winter backpacking.

I want to say that I would be able to deal with persistent cold and loneliness...but I also recognize that it's a very different thing for me to sit in a warm room and type that than it is to actually do it.

Here's the thing: I graduate from college in December and I hopefully start grad school in August. In between I'm free to do whatever I want. I love the outdoors and I love challenges. The harder the better. I would love to hike the AT. That being said, I want to hike the whole AT, not the first 30 miles. If the majority here genuinely think I would not make it starting in January, is there a different trail I could start in January that might be more doable?

I wish you the best in whatever option you choose. It sounds like you're approaching this pretty level-headed and are under no illusions regarding the challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle_wingerter View Post
    .... That being said, I want to hike the whole AT, not the first 30 miles. If the majority here genuinely think I would not make it starting in January, is there a different trail I could start in January that might be more doable?
    OK I'll throw out this idea: how about an AT flipflop starting January in Duncannon, hiking south to Springer, then flipping back and hiking north to Katahdin?

It may seem counterintuitive to start further north in the winter. But 2 things to keep in mind: (1) the elevations are much lower in the mid-Atlantic; you wouldn't hit 3,000' until Shenandoah NP so you'd likely have less inches of snow to deal with (2) in the event of too much snow or freezing rain, Duncannon to Front Royal offers sufficient bail-out points and more likelihood of cell phone service. And yet, you'll still gain the winter hiking/camping experience that you're craving in what I believe is a less risky locale. There are enough shelters along this route to hole up in if the weather's really bad. You won't find a lot of people on the Trail - just weekend day and section hikers - but you wouldn't find that many in GA/NC either.

Duncannon to Front Royal is about 180 miles during which you'll cross a road for bailout at least once per day. After crossing Rt. 522 outside Front Royal. you're in Shenandoah NP where the facilities are shut down during the winter. Skyline Drive is only guaranteed open from Thornton Gap to Big Meadows so Shenandoah is a bit riskier. But the trail sticks to the ridge and is fairly visible even in deep snow (I've winter hiked there) plus the Park Service does patrols on Skyline Drive. Once finishing the 100 miles of SNP, you walk parallel to the Blue Ridge Parkway 134 miles - again, not risk free but not in the middle of nowhere either. Resupplying will be more of a challenge here and you'll hit 4,000' for the first time but you're never far from the Parkway. After descending the ridge and crossing I-81, you're in a more remote area on to Pearisburg and eventually Atkins. Despite its remoteness, even this stretch has bailout points although hitches will be longer to reach civilization. Resupply is also an issue here - Pearisburg is your best bet.

All of the advice and caveats given above re winter backpacking are still appropriate if you go this route.

Whatever way you choose, have fun!

Journal Entries
    Images

The two things that probably worry me most are the difficulty of seeing blazes in snow and the fact that it would be serious winter in the mountains when I got there. I don't have experience navigating in the woods and I don't have the time right now to train rigorously so that I could carry all the gear/food that is really necessary for winter backpacking.
    Glad that you got that point.

I want to hike the whole AT, not the first 30 miles.
    If time and weather do not permit this, why does it matter to hike the 'whole' trail? Seriously, why does it matter? I would think having FUN would be high on the list.

Wait until Mar when the weather is likely to be more favorable. Instead of being alone in miserable conditions, you'll have other hikers with you to share the misery. Which might make it enjoyable or at least bearable. The social aspect of the AT is often overlooked. Once you get out there, you'll realize just how many other hikers are out there enjoying and enduring the same thing you are.

You'll have 4-5 months of hiking if you do start in Mar which should allow you to get most of the trail done . . . if you don't finish it, you'll have something to look forward to after Grad school and, at that point, you'll be much more experienced . . .

Anyway, my suggestion is to Have Fun!, in whatever you decide to do.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You could easily start the AT late Feb (at least a little better weather-wise) and finish by August for grad school at your age. I know plenty who have done that.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I can't think of any long distance trail in the US which you could start in Jan which doesn't put you into serious winter conditions real quick.

Except for having to find something to do with yourself for a couple of months, starting the AT in March is the most sane option. You will still get a taste of winter conditions, but not as bad or long lasting as a Jan start would be. It still gives you pleanty of time to finish the trail if you keep up a decent pace and don't slack off.

Spend Jan and Feb getting into shape for the hike. Walk, cross country ski, snowshoe - what ever. Exactly what you can do for outdoor activities will depend on where you can spend those two months, but don't spend them sitting on your butt!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Here's the thing: I graduate from college in December and I hopefully start grad school in August. In between I'm free to do whatever I want. I love the outdoors and I love challenges. The harder the better. I would love to hike the AT. That being said, I want to hike the whole AT, not the first 30 miles. If the majority here genuinely think I would not make it starting in January, is there a different trail I could start in January that might be more doable?
    Have you looked at the Florida Trail. The recommended start time is January.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Make sure need thoroughly understand hypothermia - How to avoid it, how to recognize it, and what to do if it rears its ugly head. This is the sneaky killer because one of the first things to go is one's mental acuity and judgement. Folks don't recognize the early warning symptoms in themselves. Bad decisions are made, and then worst ones are made. Dropping a heavy pack to scout for a blaze, making poor navigation decisions, or pressing on when they should be getting warm.

In your case, when you're out there alone, without a buddy to monitor your condition, make sure that you know what you are going to do at the first sign of shivering or loss of delicate motor skills.

I'm re-posting this in case you missed it the first two times it was posted:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ll=1#post96956
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

Actually there are quite a few hikers every year who have August school start deadlines. They normally start mid-Feb. or March. At your age, you should probably be able to hike the whole trail in about five months. Working backwards...July, June, May, April, March. If you start March 1 you'll have more daylight, better weather, and some very enjoyable fellow travelers. And two months off before the trip to get yourself into shape, refine your gear choices, build skills, and maybe even work and earn a few extra bucks.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Would a pulk be a good choice on the trail? I've pulled one while winter camping and found it made life easier. But I wasn't negotiating mountain switchbacks ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Welcome to Whiteblaze, Michelle!
    Long- distance backpacking in "real" winter is out of my league, but I would try to get some practice lugging a winter- weight pack... build those muscles that I would need. That might also help with figuring distances for resupply. And the days will be short. I wonder whether there might be a better starting point than Springer... possible to cover some easier January- miles somewhere in the middle, then skip down south a little later and hike north to your start?

Quote Originally Posted by budforester View Post
    I wonder whether there might be a better starting point than Springer... possible to cover some easier January- miles somewhere in the middle, then skip down south a little later and hike north to your start?
    This is what Cookerhiker just suggested in post #65 above:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...=1#post1215540

Images

a little note: it was a wet day about noon and who yells out to me on a road crossing, Mountain Squid LOL he gave me a Hug (the little juice drink kind) and some treats. it was fun hiking in the winter and ill do it again. will i finish? i doubt it, but how many can say they did the smokies in january with a stray dog and a broken rib LOL
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++