Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Toli View Post
    <STRONG></STRONG><BR><BR><STRONG><EM><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: comic sans ms">Sucks to be ur hubby... But...&nbsp;I hear they are doing awesome things with regards to testicle implants...</SPAN></EM></STRONG>
    Not sure what happened to that post, but should have read:
    Sucks to be ur hubby... I hear they are doing awesome things with regards to testicle implants...

Images

Sucks to be ur hubby... But...*I hear they are doing awesome things with regards to testicle implants...
    Apparently he has been happy enough with the arrangement to let it continue these past 36 years. And he appreciates the fact that I can take care of myself because that frees him up to do things he enjoys doing. I think he's about to set off on a long bike ride.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    Just because being isolated on the trail. is less risky, than being isolated in most cities, it is still an unacceptable risk.
    Unacceptable to whom? If you don't feel comfortable hiking alone in Jan, then you shouldn't. But what right to do you have to label someone else's decision as "unacceptable"? I have a teenage daughter who went on a church mission trip to Juarez Mexico. Did I worry? Yes. Did we educate ourselves about the risks (which are "off the charts" in comparison to the AT)? Yes. Did I support her decision to follow her dreams and go? Yes. Do other people feel that our decision was "unacceptable"? Irrelevant. What does this have to do with hiking? Just read the OP. It seemed pretty clear to me. Go Girls!

Images

Your daughter is a lucky girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Unacceptable to whom? If you don't feel comfortable hiking alone in Jan, then you shouldn't. But what right to do you have to label someone else's decision as "unacceptable"? I have a teenage daughter who went on a church mission trip to Juarez Mexico. Did I worry? Yes. Did we educate ourselves about the risks (which are "off the charts" in comparison to the AT)? Yes. Did I support her decision to follow her dreams and go? Yes. Do other people feel that our decision was "unacceptable"? Irrelevant. What does this have to do with hiking? Just read the OP. It seemed pretty clear to me. Go Girls!

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Apparently he has been happy enough with the arrangement to let it continue these past 36 years. And he appreciates the fact that I can take care of myself because that frees him up to do things he enjoys doing. I think he's about to set off on a long bike ride.
    Tandum Bicycle right??? Ummm... I thought so ...

Images

Tandum Bicycle right??? Ummm... I thought so ...
    And here I was figuring you would ask if he still had his training wheels on. Or if it was was a tricycle. Boy was I wrong!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    That's what I'm talking about!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

Images

Uh, no to the tandem bike, because I don't choose to spend my day on a bike, and he doesn't choose to spend the day knitting and walking. Not that it's any of your business , but we're going to see The Way together this afternoon. You really don't get it, do you? That relationships can function in a no-giving-orders/no-nagging zone?
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Uh, no to the tandem bike, because I don't choose to spend my day on a bike, and he doesn't choose to spend the day knitting and walking. Not that it's any of your business , but we're going to see The Way together this afternoon. You really don't get it, do you? That relationships can function in a no-giving-orders/no-nagging zone?
    Your marriage sounds a lot like ours. My wife and I have a "together life" and a "separate life" and we support each other in both areas. Neither of us would do well in a more traditional arrangement - we don't NEED each other...... But, having said that, we do a lot of stuff together including parenting 3 children. I'm totally in love with my wife, and I *hope* the feeling is mutual.

I think a lot of people mistake being together all the time with "real love" when it's just as often a dysfunction.

We're as close as any couple I know (hard to judge just by looking though) and we've been together for 25 years - long enough to see many couples we were friends with who didn't get our lifestyle get divorced - go figure..

Images

I think a whole lot of people here are misreading concern and some worry as a desire to control. Parents are rightfully concerned for their children's welfare, even when those children become young adults. It has very little to do with control. We want our children to take control of their own lives, to be successful at what they choose, to live their own lives. What we don't want is for them to get seriously hurt while learning how to do that. It has to do with love - not a desire to control.

Young adults are certainly free to make their own decisions with or without their parent's approval. Does that mean 18, 19, 20 . . . year olds don't make really bad decisions at times? That is why parents of young adults are concerned, and yes, why they worry at times and try to prevent their adult children from making bad decisions. That isn't to say older adults don't make bad decisions as well. We all do. The difference is that we've learned a bit more about the world along the way.

The young lady who gave rise to several threads on this subject has already made a few bad decisions (and I don't think winter hiking is necessarily the worst of them): posting under her real name, stating her intent to hike alone especially at a time of year with few other hikers around, revealing her approximate itinerary / start date, etc. Given other info available online it is way too easy to obtain other personal info about her, such as her age, address, height, hair color, photos, etc. At some point, given the history of her posts, she is likely to post here or elsewhere more details about her travel plans, start date, etc.

Many of you may not think much about personal security. Many may think that the few bad things that happen in life are just bad luck and completely out of our control. But our own decisions play greatly into the risks we face and how we manage them. Whether people like to admit it or not, or simply dismiss the risk as "statistically small" or "acceptable", there are bad people out there, and they read message boards too. So when some of us see someone painting a target on themselves, no matter that that target may be small in the scope of things and that nothing is likely to happen, we still speak up.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor (The other one) View Post
    Sorry, but I've never understood what that means.
    It means I typed a bunch of stuff that, upon reflection, was tripe and I didn't want to embarrass myself or let anyone know how absolutely stupid I can be.

Since you can't delete a message and you have to type 10 characters I go ................ whenever I do that..

[QUOTE=10-K;1215935]Your marriage sounds a lot like ours. My wife and I have a "together life" and a "separate life" and we support each other in both areas. Neither of us would do well in a more traditional arrangement - we don't NEED each other...... But, having said that, we do a lot of stuff together including parenting 3 children. I'm totally in love with my wife, and I *hope* the feeling is mutual.

I think a lot of people mistake being together all the time with "real love" when it's just as often a dysfunction.
    Good arrangement. Marta's too. My wife and I refer to it as being joined at the hips. Not for us. We have your time, my time, our time. My wife doesn't LD hike but she likes short day hikes with me especially to unique views/vistas/etc. She just dropped me off the other day for a hike on the Pinhoti. I went solo. Was I careful? Yes. Did she worry? Yes. Did I get hurt? Yes, even being as careful as I could I fell and did something to my foot. Took me two days to bail and cover 8 mi. She picked me up. She's my support, resupply, rescue, whatever you want to call it. Am I healed? Just about. Am I going to solo again? You bet? Will she worry? You know it. But she completely understands and fully supports. Like 10-K I love her too.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

It is the responsibility of the parent to raise a child who is capable of knowing their own limits, judging their own strengths, and asking for help when they need it.

In my opinion the more a parent worries about their child's decisions, the less confident they are in the skills they taught as a parent. And yes, if you taught your daughter that she needs a man to protect her you SHOULD worry, because her reliance on another will keep her from learning to take care of herself.

are you retarded or just a bitch?

Sucks to be ur hubby... I hear they are doing awesome things with regards to testicle implants...
    sorry. should have read:

are you retarded or just a bitch?

Images

Howdy, Kanga! I don't think he's a bitch, but one does wonder what he's doing reading and posting in the women's forum...
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

Images

Howdy, Kanga! I don't think he's a bitch, but one does wonder what he's doing reading and posting in the women's forum...
    With all respect Marta, I read the women posts and post here if needed. Does it concern you ?

Should I avoid being seen around women forum?

Is it what you are saying? Men in men threads and forums, and women in women?

Strongly disagreed.

Images

This is a very rude and irresponsive approach to a discussion. As a man I never ever felt any previlage over women but it is not bad every now and then we check our ........ They are not just for showing that we are male.

They bring some responibilities!!!! that seems you don't take serious.

Images

The Women's Forum operates under slightly different rules than some of the other forums in WB. In general, people who think that women shouldn't be hiking are discouraged from posting here, as dog-haters are discouraged from posting in the Dog Forum and Speed-Hiking haters are discouraged from posting in the Speed Hiking Forum. Men are not banned from this forum, but dick-swinging behavior is not normally tolerated here.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

Speed-Hiking haters are discouraged from posting in the Speed Hiking Forum.
    haha! I live for the day....

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++