WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sleeping Bag Suggestions

The time has come for me to purchase a sleeping bag for my thru-hike attempt next year. Something tells me that the old 6lb synthetic bag my uncle gave me years ago when I was a cub scout isn't going to cut it. Of course I've been gazing at things like the Marmot Helium and Montbell U.L. Super Spiral but these are way over my budget. Basically I'm looking for a good, lightweight down bag for somewhere around the $200 price point. I've been looking at the Marmot Sawtooth, Sierra Designs Ridge Runner and Pyro and the Kelty Light Year. Are any of these good choices? There are so many options out there that it feels a bit overwhelming.

Also I'm looking at a March 20th start so should I be considering a 15 degree bag or perhaps something not as warm like a 20 degree bag? I am a fairly skinny guy that lives in a hot and humid climate so I figure the cold may affect me a little more at least until my body gets acclimatized.

Images

Have you considered a new synthetic? There are big advantages/disadvanteges that go along with both down and synthetic, so look into what will work for you. Synthetics are usually cheaper, so for what you want to spend on a down bag, you might be able to get a warmer synthetic.

The main reason I've been looking at down bags is that they're usually lighter and less bulky than synthetics. I know they're cheaper but I was looking to see if I could get a good quality down bag at that price before exploring synthetic options.

Look at the Kelty Lightyear bags. They make 'em in several different temps and they are not as pricey as some of the botique bags. I used a Lightyear 40 and experienced a few nights that it got down into the 20s where I had to don my fleece tops, bottoms, hat and gloves to stay warm but the bag only weighs 2 lbs. Look on eBay for used high end stuff at big discounts.

This time I'm usin' a Western Mountaineering Highlite (35 degree), about $270 but 1 lb.
    Last edited by swjohnsey; 11-06-2011 at 13:13.

My son has a MARMOT Sawtooth and it has worked even better than its 15 deg F rating for him. He is a teenager so he is a furnace. It has been go to ~ 20-25 deg F for me with just my syn top and nylon hiking pants [no thermal layers].

A great bag for the money and I have seen many sales over the years.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I'm an ultralight backpacker, and I would still choose synthetic over down on the AT. It's just too wet to keep your down bag dry for an entire thru-hike. You will have multi-day periods where it rains every day and you don't get a chance to dry your bag. If it's cold, that can be a real problem. Better to take the slight weight penalty of synthetic insulation for the assurance that you can sleep warm.

If you are worried about weight, you might try a quilt instead of a traditional sleeping bag. Mountain Laurel Designs makes synthetic quilts that are well-regarded.

The Campmor $120 down bag seems to be well regarded.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    It's just too wet to keep your down bag dry for an entire thru-hike.
    Really! Thousands of thrus have proven you wrong on that statement. It's rare to see a syntheic on the AT.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Journal Entries

Default Sleeping Bags

I have a 40F North Face fiber filled back that I've used for over 30 years and although most of my camping has been in Florida, on those rare occassions that its gotten down in the 20s, I've been pretty comfortable.  And one September I was in Yellowstone were the temp dropped to 16F almost everynight, I used a flannel sheet inside the bag and stayed pretty toasty.  Now I'm go to switch from a tent to a hammock and my underquilt will probably be a filber filled bag rigged to fit my hammock.  Lots cheaper than a down, dries fast if it ever gets wet and weighs and snugs down pretty well.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    The Campmor $120 down bag seems to be well regarded.
    I was going to post this and you beat me to it.

Also disagree that you can't keep a down bag dry. It's not hard at all, you just have to be diligent.

I love my Helium...just wanted to add that...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    You will have multi-day periods where it rains every day and you don't get a chance to dry your bag. If it's cold, that can be a real problem. Better to take the slight weight penalty of synthetic insulation for the assurance that you can sleep warm.
    There are also multi-day periods where the sun is out and you can dry your bag. I've never had a problem keeping my down bag dry through multiple rainy days. Also, down bags typically have a DWR coating to repel all but a soaking. Plus, unless you're operating right at the limits a damp mummy bag should still provide sufficient warmth once you cinch everything up, especially if you wear your dry camp clothes to bed. The North Face Cat's Meow, a highly respected 20-degree synthetic mummy, still has a 13-ounce weight penalty over a down WM UltraLite, which is much more than "slight" in my opinion.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

If you've ever washed a down bag you know how hard they are to get completely soaked.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

My son took a 20 degree Cats Meow for a March 5th start. The few cold days we had, we happened to be in town.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Also recommend you take a look at the EMS brand down bags....I have their 20 degree down bag and have been happy with it.
    Fast is fine but accurate is final....Wyatt Earp

If anyone is interested, I have a like new, used once, Marmot Plasma 15 I will let go for 325 with shipping. Stuff and storage sacks included.

I have the Campmor 20 degree down and the REI 15 degree down, both great price and both very good bags....I've been out on hikes when it rained for days and never had a problem with a wet bag.

Is this the Campmor bag you guys are talking about? http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40067 It's the only one I see on their site. Thanks for the input so far, going to research all the suggestions made and see if I can make a choice this week.

I hike in Oregon and Washington year round, and it rains all of the freakin time. I have nevr slept in a wet bag. I use an event dry sack even in the damn deserts, and also use em to store my clothes as well.

The Kelty Lightyear 20 degree bag is best bang for buck that I have ever bought. I have one and have used it for years and it is warm in the winter but not too warm in the summer. Footbed unzips so you can walk in it, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++