WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Speed Hike 2012

Quote Originally Posted by gg-man View Post
    Have you even done a single 47 mile day at that pace or even 47 miles in a day at any pace?
    Better yet, have you ever hiked any of the AT through Maine or NH and have any idea of the amount of effort it takes?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    ive decided to speed hike to the moon, should be easier than the AT, once Ive gotten beyond the earths gravitational pull.Going to have to do it fully supplied as there are no maildrops.Im bringing a lot of Tang.I need advice as to whether I should use an internal or external pack.Im hoping for a passing asteroid to supply water, bringing a jet boil for both cooking and propulsion.anyone have a spare set of maps. Its getting the trip off the ground that seems to be an issue.
    Just for your information, This weekend I was on the moon. You cant thru hike to the moon. The trail would be close from Newmoonshire to Alien Shelter From Feb to August each year.

Quote Originally Posted by gg-man View Post

I just need one thing, an appropriate trail name because Malto just won't cut it for an feat this epic. How about Flash, Speed, Warp, History? Any others?
    I can think of a few, but the censor won't let me post 'em.
    Roland

Images

I just need one thing, an appropriate trail name because Malto just won't cut it for an feat this epic. How about Flash, Speed, Warp, History? Any others?[/QUOTE]

How about " ican". It is a good name since this type of speed just happens through internet as you mentioned.

Images

Walker ,

It seems you are peparing yourself by hiking on weekends. Did you try to implement your Time table on test during one of these training days? It needs walking in darkness but mileage is mileage. Gives you a taste of it.

Images

Fugetaboutit.............30 miles per day will be only good practice..........as humans we keep setting new bars/levels...............enjoy your hike

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Better yet, have you ever hiked any of the AT through Maine or NH and have any idea of the amount of effort it takes?
    Yes, I know the effort required.

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Walker ,

It seems you are peparing yourself by hiking on weekends. Did you try to implement your Time table on test during one of these training days? It needs walking in darkness but mileage is mileage. Gives you a taste of it.
    I'm training during the week also. Yes, walking in darkness might be a requirement, but there are about 16 hours of daylight in the summer and I would expect this to occur very rarely south of New England.

Training Status Report #1:

I walked short days ( 3 to 5 miles) for 9 out of the last 11 days at a decent pace. Yesterday, I included about a 1000' of fairly steep vertical. I have been alternating between flats and climbing. I will start to incorporate some running this next week and see how that goes.

My diet is starting to improve with more veggies and fruit smoothies. I'm looking to drop about 15 pounds.

Images

Here's the bad new--That's about how I trained in order to do a six-month thru-hike. As a matter of fact, that's how I "train" year in and year out. I call it "keeping in moderately good shape," that is, being just above the level of a couch potato. Not the program of a world-class athlete, or even a middle school cross country runner.

Quote Originally Posted by The Walker View Post
    Training Status Report #1:I walked short days ( 3 to 5 miles) for 9 out of the last 11 days at a dece. nt pace. Yesterday, I included about a 1000' of fairly steep vertical. I have been alternating between flats and climbing. I will start to incorporate some running this next week and see how that goes. My diet is starting to improve with more veggies and fruit smoothies. I'm looking to drop about 15 pounds.
    Last edited by Marta; 11-16-2011 at 07:07.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Maybe post an update when you do your first 200 mile week, until then...

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Here's the bad new--That's about how I trained in order to do a six-month thru-hike. As a matter of fact, that's how I "train" year in and year out. I call it "keeping in moderately good shape," that is, being just above the level of a couch potato. Not the program of a world-class athlete, or even a middle school cross country runner.
    Well, that is my first few days, I've got over half a year to prepare. Also, a speed hike is not necessarily like a pack-carrying thru-hike. Only one thing to concentrate on during a supported speed hike and that is walking.

As far as "world class athletes", I think it rather takes "world class effort". Since the hike is at such a slow pace, I'm not sure "world class athletes" are required. It's more of a slow-twitch effort and most folks fall into that category.

Now, to get my weight below 247 shall be key.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    Maybe post an update when you do your first 200 mile week, until then...
    I have read that ultra runners who train for 50 milers do 8-10 miles a day with like a 30 thrown in once a week. They don't come close to doing the mileage in training that the race entails. I know this multi-day endurance endeavor is different so I would like your thoughts. Thanks.

reality check:
    You are 46 it isn't now or never. You can always do something now or later You could hike the trail in your 60's or 70's providing you don't get injured beforehand.

Now as to speed. Averaging 30 miles per day for a couple days can be done and is done by some. Averaging 30 miles per day almost every day from Springer to Katahdin with minimal time off? Not a chance. practice hikes in the desert is better than nothing but wont be enough. Days of rain (which WILL happen) will slow you down. Every super fast hiker I met in 2006 on the AT either got off trail early (most of them) or balanced out with more time off.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    I don't mind doing longer days, and have repeatedly hiked back-to-back 25's and 27's, with the odd 30 thrown in for good measure. For me, there is a huge difference between 25 miles and 30 miles, but not a big difference between 21-25 for example.
    I've noticed the same thing.

I think this guy is just trying to be funny. Its possible he could be delusional.

46 years old
    no experience
    not in hiking shape
    247 pounds.

0% chance.

Images

I have read that ultra runners who train for 50 milers do 8-10 miles a day with like a 30 thrown in once a week. They don't come close to doing the mileage in training that the race entails. I know this multi-day endurance endeavor is different so I would like your thoughts. Thanks.
    Speed hiking and Ultras are very different critters (as I'm now learning) With speed hiking you have to account for the multiple day aspect of the attempt. I believe that you have to be able to comfortably do 150% of your average expected daily mileage to account for the day to day impact (with the expected elevation profile of your trip.) On my hike I was planning a 30mpd average and could easily do a 45 mile day prior to leaving. Also, you can't plan to hike the average, there will be days that you have to do more to offset lower mile days. That is why my daily target mileage was 10-20% higher than the trip average needs to be and another reason for my 150% training target.

The 3-5 mile hikes are IMHO a waste of time UNLESS you need them to build up to hike the longer miles. (If that's the case then even thinking a record is naive.) It will be the long daily hikes of 30+ miles that will build you up and teach you the failure modes of the long days. As far as what it takes to do a 47 mpd average, I doubt there is anybody on this site that can begin to address what is needed for that.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I think this guy is just trying to be funny. Its possible he could be delusional.46 years oldno experiencenot in hiking shape247 pounds.0% chance.
    Some hikers can bang it out at heavier weights. I've certainly hiked with some dudes who can bang 3.5 mph out all day . Over 7 weeks is another matter of course. I think good for this guy. It gives him something to shoot for, I think actually the lack Appalachian training will hurt him more. Getting used to dealing with the lack of path, trip hazards, the wetness and rain, the short steep climbs, that differ so greatly from his training on the PCT's turf. Let's hope he gets in shape in the next few months, bangs out 15-20mpd has a great time, and improves to a point where he can take a stab maybe again. The AT is a tough speed trail. Weather can be so unpredictable. We all remember a couple years back when it rained like 24 out of 30 days in June in the northeast. Nobody breaks records in weather like that. Dry=big milesThis past summer was very dry. I think this guy will have fun, he seems enthusiastic even if a bit unrealistic.But I do love his "couch potato" training regimen. Marta was right on. It's basically what I do to make sure that I can do a 15 mile day when I go do a weekender. Hilarity
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Well, that is my first few days, I've got over half a year to prepare. Also, a speed hike is not necessarily like a pack-carrying thru-hike. Only one thing to concentrate on during a supported speed hike and that is walking. As far as "world class athletes", I think it rather takes "world class effort".
    1/2 a year just isn't enough time for someone who hasn't spent a lifetime in this type of discipline. As has already been said before, looks easy on paper and it's true numbers don't lie, but they sure as hell like to trick the s**t out of us. It it was as easy as it seems on paper more people would be doing it.

Since the hike is at such a slow pace, I'm not sure "world class athletes" are required. It's more of a slow-twitch effort and most folks fall into that category.
    The issue of fast/slow twitch muscles doesn't really come into play, even for world class athletes like Speedgoat... You really should read the link below. There are so many other things you'll have to worry about and which muscles are twitching isn't really a big concern here, especially at your current level. http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/06/...s-do-you-want/

BTW, I still think this is a joke, but nothing else really of interest going on here, so what the hell...

Please save me from going back over the posts and answer a couple questions:
    When do you plan to start?
    Direction?
    Goal, i.e. how much time to you think it will take?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I think this guy is just trying to be funny. Its possible he could be delusional.46 years oldno experiencenot in hiking shape247 pounds.0% chance.
    I'm hoping the supported speed hiking thing is a joke. Otherwise he's definitely delusional. With six months to prepare he could probably get himself in reasonable shape to attempt a normal thru, although it's cutting it close. Muscle strength comes on fairly quickly. Hard tissue takes at least six months to develop the toughness it needs to avoid hike-ending injury. An awful lot of the 75-80% who drop off the trail during their thru attempts find that out the painful way.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++