WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Good grief!
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    Perhaps you are wrong...it is after all "Hike your own hike". Truthfully this kid was dumb for no other reason then bragging...you could have been a fed for all he knew. You have no Right also to tell him how he would spend his money...if that were true we would be the "USSA" Not the USA. Besides he was floating the economy in his own way...regardless of your disapproval.
    See yoru mistake is calling it his money. That money is mine, Bob's and presumably your's since I assume you collect a paycheck and pay taxes. This kid is being very unethical in what he is doing and I would have called it in...I'm that guy. Go ahead and HYOH but do it on your dine not mine. I can't get funds together to take 6 months off to hike and this clown has the audacity to do it on my tax dollars?! and yo uthink its ok...lord help us no wonder my great-grand-kids are already screwed....
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

How many of you are typing out you indignation while getting paid for being "at work"?

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

I think the part about Mom sending him applications says it all.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Images

A few yrs ago during a section hike I passed a guy using his cell phone. Later on that evening I found out he was doing a job interview while on the trail.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Yes, there seems to be some entitlement issues here.

In most states, there is the requirement to be "available for" and "actively seeking employment" to be able to collect unemployment benefits. That means sending applications or resumes and going on interviews if invited to by any prospective employer.

I am all for the enjoyment of the trail but not financing a complete thru while collecting unemployment and skirting the responsibility to "check in" and do the required stuff...Maybe ok to do a few sections but not 3-5 months.
    "May Your Feet Be Light and Your Gait Be Long"... Hobbler

I think it is better that he is going hiking and spending the money in trail towns, rathier then sitting around the house doing nothing like many unemployed. At least some of the money he's getting comes from the payments made by his employer to the fund and one can argue that was part of his wages. Also, to collect unemployement you have to be laid off, so he didn't loose his job by choice.

Technically, what he's doing is illegal, but if it's moral or not is a much harder question to answer.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I have hiked on Unemployment before. Two month stretch. I knew that I had a job coming when I got out of the Army, drew unemployment and hit the trails for two months, living off of the checks.

Got back home, got the new job and went back to work. And I do not feel guilty for it one bit.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelbronco View Post
    I have hiked on Unemployment before. Two month stretch. I knew that I had a job coming when I got out of the Army, drew unemployment and hit the trails for two months, living off of the checks.

Got back home, got the new job and went back to work. And I do not feel guilty for it one bit.
    thank you for your service.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    A few yrs ago during a section hike I passed a guy using his cell phone. Later on that evening I found out he was doing a job interview while on the trail.
    A lot of the work of job search can be done online with cell phone/3G/4G/tablet/laptop. Some web based jobs can even be done online and on trail with this technology. The worst case scenario for doing this is sometimes you'll have to bail out to a town to get internet connectivity.

Employment is pretty tough now for young people who don't have in demand skills. Actually, I wish I had hiked the AT on minimal savings or unemployment when the economy was slow when I was younger. If I was hiring, I'd consider it a plus that someone had the determination to complete a thru-hike or large section hike.

I don't have a problem with someone hiking while collecting unemployment. Hell, I may be able to claim that next year if I can be a seasonal instead of full time employee. With smartphones and the internet one can apply for (better)jobs, file for interviews and conduct phone interviews on trips to town. The $ should also cover transportation home to actually go on an interview.

If he's collecting unemployment its because he was let go without cause and his former employer is paying the state which is paying him unemployment. Sounds kinda like the employer part of social security..no? Not exactly your tax dollars unless you let go of the kid in the first place.

Maybe the title of the thread should be changed because it seems you have more of a problem with the kid's sense of entitlement that mommy and the goverment (and hostels) should take care of him without him lifting a finger.

I'm sure he isn't the first, he was dumb to be honest; most people keep their secrets especially when they could get caught.

Didn't Ward Leonard collect disability?

There are jobs out there for virtually anyone, sometimes it takes a while to find something good. Flagging jobs, big box store jobs, day labor jobs of various types, farm jobs, as well as the whole spectrum of self-employment. For those looking and needing work, keep trying and you will find something.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    I don't have a problem with someone hiking while collecting unemployment. Hell, I may be able to claim that next year if I can be a seasonal instead of full time employee. With smartphones and the internet one can apply for (better)jobs, file for interviews and conduct phone interviews on trips to town. The $ should also cover transportation home to actually go on an interview.

If he's collecting unemployment its because he was let go without cause and his former employer is paying the state which is paying him unemployment. Sounds kinda like the employer part of social security..no? Not exactly your tax dollars unless you let go of the kid in the first place.

Maybe the title of the thread should be changed because it seems you have more of a problem with the kid's sense of entitlement that mommy and the goverment (and hostels) should take care of him without him lifting a finger.
    Couldnt disagree with you more. uinemployment insurance is paid for by both employer and state, as well as employees. anyone taking tax dollars to deliberately stay unemployed is abusing the system.
    By the way, every older generation will claim the "the kids today have entitlement issues."and that kids today dont know what real music is.

I work for my Government aka public employee. The problem is its not your money my money or even Mr. X's money it is the Governments money to dole out as it see's fit. ALL too many people usually republicans bitch and moan about how their tax dollars are being wasted...well mine was wasted killing our youth for a truly unjust war. Do I support what our government did to our young fighters...the Hell I do not. Vietnam was the same Hippies smoking dope at "Woodstock" bare assed in ponds. That generation decided on this War as the generation before them had on Vietnam. So regardless its the governments right to decide what they give and to who...not yours saying its your money. If you feel like giving someone a hand who needs it..move to China and see how bad Government can be to its people.

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    See yoru mistake is calling it his money. That money is mine, Bob's and presumably your's since I assume you collect a paycheck and pay taxes. This kid is being very unethical in what he is doing and I would have called it in...I'm that guy. Go ahead and HYOH but do it on your dine not mine. I can't get funds together to take 6 months off to hike and this clown has the audacity to do it on my tax dollars?! and yo uthink its ok...lord help us no wonder my great-grand-kids are already screwed....
    Your "great-grand kids" are screwed because that Ivy League carpet bagger I am sure you voted for in 2000 and again in 2004...I know I didnt. Yes this whole Country is a mess because some kid who has to legally pay into unemployment its a Federal and State law...not because the Trillions wasted on an unjust war. What he does with his money let alone anyone does is none of your business...protest what was your money and try to get Uncle Sam to give back your brain. Because obviously you have no idea what unemployment or tax laws are...also by making a falst report aka reporting this kid...you yourself can be arrested so its your tax dollars working against you in a way.

Sorry, entirely too political, closed.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

hell I wish I could draw unemployment and hike the AT. Guess i will have to wait until I retire and use SS to support me on the trail
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++