WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default water-Winding Stair Gap to NOC

What is current water situation in this section? Where are the best places to gas up, including the ones most likely to still flow in sub-freezing temps (Thurs-Sun)?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I was at the spring at the road crossing at Winding Stair Gap last week and it was barely flowing...don't know about the rest of the area.

geek

Wow...that's not a good sign. I have seen that spring at Winding Stair Gap flowing well even in the bad '07 - '08 drought.

I always stop and fill a nalgene when I pass but it was so slow that it would have taken probably 20-30 minutes to fill a qt. I've never seen it that low.

geek

Images

I made a video of my section hike here, it may help....

Images

FYI - Siler shelter and Wayah shelter were good, Cold Spring shelter had just a trickle, Wesser shelter had a trickle but the reservoir was full (should've taken a pic). Seemed much dryer from Wayah to NOC. Don't know about the spring at Winding Stair, but there's a small stream a short ways in that was flowing good.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    What is current water situation in this section? Where are the best places to gas up, including the ones most likely to still flow in sub-freezing temps (Thurs-Sun)?
    I'm a newbie. What is NOC?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dedwarmo View Post
    I'm a newbie. What is NOC?
    There is more than one Nantahala Outdoor Center, but most folks refer to NOC as the one in Wesser, NC, at a road crossing between Wesser Bald and Cheoah Bald, south of Fontana Dam, northwest of Franklin, NC.
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    There is more than one Nantahala Outdoor Center, but most folks refer to NOC as the one in Wesser, NC, at a road crossing between Wesser Bald and Cheoah Bald, south of Fontana Dam, northwest of Franklin, NC.
    Thanks, Scope!

++ New Posts ++