WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default JMT Section Questions

I'd like to do the JMT in 2 separate section hikes.
    Would it make sense to do Yosemite to Muir Trail Ranch; then MTR to Whitney?
    Can you get a shuttle to/from these spots?
    Would it be logistically easier to do MTR to Yosemite; the MTR to Whitney re: shuttles, road access, etc.

Thanks!
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Im sure others can offer more advice but transportation out of MTR or VVR isnt going to be the easiest. There is shuttle service to Fresno that is around $200. Im not sure how your transportation is you may want to consider Le Conte Canyon to South Lake which should be easy to get into Bishop. Good luck and Im sure others will be able to chime in as well

Images

I got off the JMT at Muir Trail Ranch last year - the Friday of Labor day weekend. I did manage to hitch a ride with the one and only person going back into town that day (holiday weekend everyone was heading out into the woods). It was a LONG LONG drive into Fresno, I had no idea I was so far out in the back of beyond out there. From MTR, I thin it was a 5 mile hike to the ferry - boat across the lake then try to hitch out from the park there. It can be done.

Images

I think there are other better and easier places to get in and out. U might want to look at Eric the blacks jmt atlas
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Not sure if you are coming from the west or east, but if you exit on the east side of the Sierra, you have a lot more options for shuttles (and they are also cheaper than what you will get from Fresno to MTR or VVR).

I am from the east, and usually park my car somewhere along the east side of the trail, so for me any entry or exit via Fresno would be a massive detour.

Not sure what I'd do, since a half JMT has never been on my mind.

Savoring Happy!

Check out "John Muir Trail, Day & Section Hikes" by Kathleen Dodge. It has all the info you seek and is very accurate.

Savor Happy!

TaTonka
    I am Who I am because I've been THERE .

++ New Posts ++