Default How many miles to start?

On the AT I started at 10-12 miles per day and slowly picked it up to 15 until I was doing 18-22 regularly after a month give or take. What's the deal with the PCT? Do you really have to bust out of the gate doing 20s and if so is it easier because of the afternoon siesta and flat ground?

It depends on the water situation. The goal is to obtain water at least once a day, since it is so heavy and with the lack of shade, you end up drinking a lot more than you do on the AT. In wet years, you can often start with 15 mile days. There are a lot of water sources out there which generally have water early in the season. On a really dry year, you may find yourself going farther between water sources. When we thruhiked in 2000, we started a bit early. I got injured on the first day (slightly sprained ankle) and so couldn't do big miles. We averaged 15 or so for the first week. All through the southern California desert, there are sections that have long waterless stretches and others that really aren't bad at all (12 miles or so) and there are caches in some of the worst sections - though they may be dry when you get there. Before you get on the trail, you'll know whether it is a wet year or a dry year, and where the springs are likely to be running and where they aren't.

On your first day on the trail, there is a small creek 16 miles in. If it has water, you can camp nearby (though watch out for illegals who walk past the campsite). If not, most people go on to the campground at 20 miles. If you start with the ADZPCTKO, most people slack that first 20 miles. It is a nice hike, but still a very long day.

Thanks SW! That makes a lot of sense.

Cerveza - AT 2010; PCT 2011 StormBird's Avatar

doing twenty mile days in the dessert is easier than you think. you should have no problem pulling twenty miles days within a week of starting the trail.
    Trail Name: Cerveza

Images

I wouldn't mind hiking through twenty miles of dessert.

That's what I'm thinking and seem to be hearing, but it just seems so counterintuitive considering my only hiking experience is more ATish. I can't imagine pulling into Neels Gap on the AT around lunch on day 2.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nathan2 View Post
    That's what I'm thinking and seem to be hearing, but it just seems so counterintuitive considering my only hiking experience is more ATish. I can't imagine pulling into Neels Gap on the AT around lunch on day 2.
    Believe it. I hiked the AT after I hiked the PCT, and guess what? I pulled into Neels Gap just in time for lunch on Day 2. The Trail Dames were serving up burgers, too.

You start getting used to 20s on the PCT real quick. Its hard to hike shorter days after that.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

There is no comparison between the START of the PCT vs the AT. You will find the PCT much easier. I did all my prehike hikes in GA on the AT and found the PCT start extremely easy. That changes a bit after Paradise Cafe but you will have your trail legs by then.

Quote Originally Posted by gg-man View Post
    There is no comparison between the START of the PCT vs the AT. You will find the PCT much easier. I did all my prehike hikes in GA on the AT and found the PCT start extremely easy. That changes a bit after Paradise Cafe but you will have your trail legs by then.
    I will? Are you sure? Have you seen my leg... it's wooden. I wish I was as confident in my ability as you are.

++ New Posts ++