WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Winter section hike

Hey everyone,I'm starting to put together a 4 day trip for this winter, probably early December. The next section I have to do starts at Standing Bear Farm just outside GSMNP... Haven't decided where to end yet..For this time of year, what should I expect weather-wise? I actually enjoy cold weather backpacking, and did my first big section from Springer to NOC over 11 days in the snow a couple years back in march..so I'm not foreign to the idea, just wanna know how much snow/cold/rain to expect...If there's a better section to do in Virginia, I'd be interested in that too...so suggestions are welcome..Thanks!

If you hiking the GSMNP then I would figure on about 2-3 feet of snow. Most of the times I winter hike through that stretch it wasn't that bad but plan for the worst hope for the best. I used a 0 degree sleeping system and was fine.

Wolf

Images

I just did GSMP to NOC last week - brisk weather -- it's a little warmer now -- I'd be into going from Hot Springs North to NC 226 which is just below the Roans -- I need to fill in this section. P/M me if this is something you'd be into --this is 88 miles which is a perfect 4 days for me if the snow is less than 2-3" -- not sure if you want to boogie like that.

Images

Man I'd be down for that, but I'm bringing a couple buddies that wouldn't be into that sorta pace... I'm prolly gonna take it easy like 10mi a day...

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

what dates are you talking about? i'll be in the area for a long weekend (4-5 days) around the 1st of december and i think my shuttle buddies may be bowing out. I was actually going to be a little north of standing bear, but i could rearrange. 10 mpd, 20 mpd - doesnt matter to me.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

I'm looking at dec 16-19 I think... That's a Friday- Monday..

I think I'll start at Elk Park, NC and end at Hampton, TN... About 34 mi

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmwsmity View Post
    I'm looking at dec 16-19 I think... That's a Friday- Monday..

I think I'll start at Elk Park, NC and end at Hampton, TN... About 34 mi
    cant make those dates - would have enjoyed the company
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I just did GSMP to NOC last week - brisk weather -- it's a little warmer now -- I'd be into going from Hot Springs North to NC 226 which is just below the Roans -- I need to fill in this section. P/M me if this is something you'd be into --this is 88 miles which is a perfect 4 days for me if the snow is less than 2-3" -- not sure if you want to boogie like that.
    May I suggest starting at NC 226 and hiking to Hot Springs instead of the other way?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    cant make those dates - would have enjoyed the company
    If anything changes I'll let you know... Still working details with two of my friends..

I did that section in Dec 09. It got down to 15-17* most nights and the wind really blew day and nite. It was low 20's during the day. springs were full of leaves. the only snow was over the mountain tops. I took plenty of cold weather clothes and used a hot water bottle at nite. It was a pleasant winter hike!

Images

Thanks Juma for the info!

I took some hikers up to Carver's Gap Thursday and I bet it was in the low 20's / upper teens with the windchill factor in the middle of the day.

A fine covering of snow everywhere, roads were good though.

Images

After more reflection, I'm probably going to go from Sams Gap to Hot Springs. Better shelters, the shelters have privies, and there's a couple fire towers to check out... Little higher elevation, but shouldn't be too bad...

After more reflection, I'm probably going to go from Sams Gap to Hot Springs. Better shelters, the shelters have privies, and there's a couple fire towers to check out... Little higher elevation, but shouldn't be too bad...
    Good choice.

We got a 16F temp tenting just north of lil hump ! 20F mid morning above freezin by 2p at Apple..it was beautiful seeing the rhime ice (sp?). 10-k hate we missed ya..we were really skeptical about leaving for a night hike at 530p but prepared to stay at stan murray if necessary...the winds were the kicker and relos were really easy to spot even with ice falling. It was a beautiful sunrise on Sat morning from Hump! I must say thats better than sunrise or sunset on Hatteras Island each summer

Images

Thanks Angels!

Journal Entries

Hey everyone,I'm starting to put together a 4 day trip for this winter, probably early December. The next section I have to do starts at Standing Bear Farm just outside GSMNP... Haven't decided where to end yet..For this time of year, what should I expect weather-wise? I actually enjoy cold weather backpacking, and did my first big section from Springer to NOC over 11 days in the snow a couple years back in march..so I'm not foreign to the idea, just wanna know how much snow/cold/rain to expect...If there's a better section to do in Virginia, I'd be interested in that too...so suggestions are welcome..Thanks!
    I have lived 45 minutes from GSMNP and hiked it for about 7 years now...I also just got back from a trip to the AT in the Smokies 2 days ago. The forecast called for temps in the 20s at night and clear skies. What ended up happening?...it was prob in the single digits at night with 6 inches of snow and ice falling my first day there (Nov 17). So, it would seem that 2-4 feet should be expected by December. I don't know about sections in VA but I can't get enough of GSMNP and the AT section through it is awesome. If you decide to do the Smokies section and have any questions just let me know.

Images

Thanks park for the info! Did GSMNP last year over 4 days, and took my 7 year old son on it again this summer for a few days. I agree, it's a great section of the AT... probably my favorite so far since Springer...

++ New Posts ++