WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

OK, I fixed a couple of links and replaced the zip file . I am also adding a word doc with the links for all the parks/forests included on the map. This is much smaller if you don't have a fast connection.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    OK, I fixed a couple of links and replaced the zip file . I am also adding a word doc with the links for all the parks/forests included on the map. This is much smaller if you don't have a fast connection.
    Gator

Why don't you attach the word document to the original post? So that everything in in the first post.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Gator

Why don't you attach the word document to the original post? So that everything in in the first post.
    I was afraid nobody would look at the map then, especially those Blue-Blazers . I'll move it up though .
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Default An Apple a day . . . .

Looks as if the Mac loses out on this otherwise wonderful service. Hope that the deluxe version will cover those with the computer gem of the times.

DewDrop

Quote Originally Posted by DewDrop View Post
    Looks as if the Mac loses out on this otherwise wonderful service. Hope that the deluxe version will cover those with the computer gem of the times.

DewDrop
    Sorry about that. I didn't see any options for the Reader for Mac either. I'm not sure if ESRI has a version of ARC for Macs?

I'm looking into how other folks publish interactive maps on the web. Like how some states have clickable maps for their state parks. I know it's kind of cumbersome how I have this set up but I don't do any web publishing myself. I've tried exporting it as .pdf and .emf but it loses the links and not every feature shows labels depending on the scale.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

In New York the AT goes through Harriman State Park, Bear Mountain State Park, and Clarence Fahnestock State Park. The word document doesn't list NY.

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    In New York the AT goes through Harriman State Park, Bear Mountain State Park, and Clarence Fahnestock State Park. The word document doesn't list NY.
    These parks were not included on the map layer from ATC so I didn't think to add them to the Word doc. I will add them to the Word list and look into getting the park polygons to add to the map.

The Word doc is added to this message pending editing issue.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Default ESRI Data and Maps

Have you thought of using the ESRI data and Maps CD? They have a parks file of all the parks in the US and Canada down to a the local level, including the above parks.

Quote Originally Posted by rscnole View Post
    Have you thought of using the ESRI data and Maps CD? They have a parks file of all the parks in the US and Canada down to a the local level, including the above parks.
    I'll take a look and see if I have that.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

I've found the ESRI Data and Maps CD to be a bit inconsistent in its parks coverage.

I recently did some stuff for the GET which is conjectured to pass through Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park on the TN/GA line. The ESRI CD had that national park on the TN side but not GA. Then in PA it has some state forests but not all.

So then you head into GIS 201 and you need supplemental data.

New York State has a clearinghouse http://nysgis.state.ny.us/ , however to access the actual data you may need to talk yourself into affiliation with a clearinghouse member organization or (worse yet, as I've done it) into becoming a clearinghouse member organization which at least used to be a bureaucratic hassle.

Pennsylvania is more generous as you can download state park, state forest, and state game land shapefiles anonymously from http://www.pasda.psu.edu/ . I must warn you that the PA SGL data from this site is TERRIBLE and I've had to, in critical areas, go back through and re-edit boundaries based on other source data (such as county parcels if I'm both lucky enough to get those, and if it's any better - or failing that, superimposing on raster USGS quads). PA DCNR park and forest boundary information seems much more accurate.

Georgia has some good park boundary information in http://www.gis.state.ga.us/ , as I recall one needs to sign up for a username and password but that's a one or two day deal not the pain of sending in notarized forms and certificates of incorporation as a non-profit that NY was.

I think Tennessee's clearinghouse didn't have park boundaries, and I haven't yet found anything that good even, for VA or WV.

I've not had any reason to get into New England, NC, or NJ data yet so can't even point to a place to start on those.

Speaking of quads, the USDA has a site http://datagateway.nrcs.usda.gov/ where you can download countywide mosaics of USGS 7.5' quads in MrSID. Saves a lot of work getting and compiling quads, especially as they include quads that have even a little bit in the county that's mosaicked, so you don't often need to download both counties when your feature of interest tends to follow county lines. You need the right version of Java in your browser to use this USDA datagateway site, and also need to enter your name, address, etc. to get eAuthenticated. Once you get the county quad files you need to set your .mxd file data frame to NAD 1983 UTM meters in the zone USDA assigns each county to, to have everything line up if you use these.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    These parks were not included on the map layer from ATC so I didn't think to add them to the Word doc. I will add them to the Word list and look into getting the park polygons to add to the map.

The Word doc is added to this message pending editing issue.
    Thats kind of funny that the ATC didn't have Bear Mt or Harriman SP on its Map. I mean these are only the first sections completed just for the trail. No history there at all. I just find somethings funny at times.

Default Article: AT Park Crossings

Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Registered User Edwardo Rodriguez's Avatar

Now which of these park do we need to get a wilderness permit while on the AT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardo Rodriguez View Post
    Now which of these park do we need to get a wilderness permit while on the AT
    The Smokies and Shenandoah.

++ New Posts ++