WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Summer time foot care

What are some good socks for hot summer hiking? Also, any special secrets for handling the pain after a long sweaty day on your feet?

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

What worked best for me in 2003 was Ibuprofen, and Aspercreme foot rub and elevation ...oh yeah, and a good dinner and hydration.

And, if you're close to a cool stream ...a good foot dip !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I like my Smartwool socks year around. I always try to get my feet dried out at the end of the day. Airing them out feels really good. I use trail runners, so my feet seem to be wet from either rain or sweat in one form or another.

Images

Group foot rub circle. Everyone sits one behind the other, all facing the same direction and form a large circle. Place your feet in the lap of the person infront of you. You end up massaging the feet of the person behind you. It helps tremendously if everyone is very friendly, and "family". Also saves some potential sexual unease if there are equal male/female :-)

This feels incredibly good!!

Images

I just used my Smartwool Medium weight socks with Bridge dale liners for the last two weeks and they worked great! I had some Fox River socks as well, but the Smart wools were much better for me.

Images

Smartwool Adrenaline socks rock. They are snug where they need to be an provide good padding. I wore them with trail shoes (dunham nimble xt). I compared them to dahlgren alpacas and eurosocks path woolsupremes (rei-outlet and STP addict). The adrenalines win hands down (for me). I would consider paying full price I like em so much.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

try lightweight nylon socks. they work for me when it's hot.
    Earl Schaeffer didn't wear any socks. I tried it but my feet stank too much. Ruins the shoes too.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lowspark View Post
    What are some good socks for hot summer hiking? Also, any special secrets for handling the pain after a long sweaty day on your feet?

the LITE hikers (shorties) always seem to work for me...
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Default Summer Socks

Smartwool Adrenaline LT socks and Inov-8 Terroc 330 (or Roclite 315) trail runners. Extra comfort and protection using Hydropel.
    Last edited by Quoddy; 06-26-2007 at 09:18.

Images

I just starting using wrightsocks with my montrail trailrunners and it worked well on a week long trip.

http://www.wrightsock.com/

It may be a good idea to bring some extra liners, just in case you need some more padding

Whenever I'm on a 12-18 mile day, I like to stop mid-day somewhere near cold water and soak my feet for ten or fifteen minutes. I allow them to air dry thoroughly in the Sun while I have lunch, and then put on clean sock liners under thick wool socks. Then I wash out the morning's liners and hang them on my pack to dry.
    Yes, the outer socks are warm, but the extra padding has always prevented hot spots and blisters!
    Grumpy Ol' Pops

Hold onto dreams, for if dreams die, life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly.

Images

I like well-ventilated trail runners, thin socks, several shoes-and-socks-off stops during the day, and a Purell foot cleansing followed by self-massage at the end of the day. (The self-massage also works great if you get tourist-foot tramping around museums and city streets.) I wash my socks often (hence the importance of thin socks that will dry easily) and take the insoles out of my shoes to dry them at night.

Yeah, I'm a clean freak.

Marta/Five-Leaf
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

A friend of mine on the PCT (Tripod) brought a tennis ball to roll around under his feet whenever he stopped. I tried it once and it felt great. No weight either.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Time To Fly 97 View Post
    A friend of mine on the PCT (Tripod) brought a tennis ball to roll around under his feet whenever he stopped. I tried it once and it felt great. No weight either.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Duel purpose item, something to entertain yourself with. You could always ask people if they know where the closest tennis court is.

++ New Posts ++