WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Icebreaker OR Smartwool

I am debating on Smartwool or Icebreakers. I think they are both the same quality and 100% Merino Wool.
    What are your thoughts? Which would you choose and why?

Whichever one was on sale.

I have an Icebreaker shirt, and it's great. Not itchy at all.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

definately which ever is on sale

I have midweight smartwool base layers, smartwool beanie, smartwool glove liners, and smartwool socks

The only smartwool item that I had an issue with was the light weight socks which I feel wore out very qucikly, the heavy weight socks are still going strong

I have a heavy weight icebreaker top for winter use that has the extra long sleves and thumb holes. A seriously great feature becuase it helps me overlap layers and keep my wrists insulated.

Images

Yeah, thumbs up (pun intended) on the Icebreaker with the thumbholes. I haven't had a smartwool baselayer, they look like they could be a little softer, and based on experience with some other of their products, a little more susceptible to getting holes (in the wrong places), pulls, etc.

But really, its probably close enough to go with what you can find on sale and try that first.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

I use smartwool socks, I have pairs that are years old, I skate [alot], fish, and hike in them, and they are still very serviceable.

i have an Merino Wool base layer shirt and i am looking for what to use as my mid-layer, any thoughts or suggestions....Either Smartwool or Icebreaker...

There is an Icebreaker long sleeve shirt on steep and cheap right now...its a men's but you still might want to check it out

I have both brands for tops, and I prefer Icebreakers. That is...until I put the dang thing in the dryer. grrrr

Icebreakers is softer and not itchy, in my opinion.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

I'd give icebreaker the edge. Just my opinion. I've got what I believe was called the Mondo. A great base mid. base layer. Also a short sleeved crew. Fit & finish on both are excellent.

The only smart wool piece I owned had a bunk zipper. It was still a great piece but REI was out of a replacement which lead me to an alternate. Icebreaker.

Images

I have both, plus some Ibex. All of them are very good, though I'd give a slight nod to Icebreaker and Ibex over Smartwool. Just a feeling, nothing concrete. Buy the one that fits and is on sale.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Saffirre8 View Post
    i have an Merino Wool base layer shirt and i am looking for what to use as my mid-layer, any thoughts or suggestions....Either Smartwool or Icebreaker...
    Stongly consider the mid-layers with the thumb hole.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Hike smarter, not harder.

What ever is on sale. But there is a big Icebreaker sale here - http://www.bivouac.co.nz/ . I just ordered a couple of Exped Synmat 7 ULs from there, and got free shipping.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

++ New Posts ++