WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Smoking and Hiking

I picked up a pack of smokes after over a decade of being clean. Why? Long short story- another time. I smoked for 3 weeks and then did a short loop hike near Bake Oven Knob on Sunday. It was brutal. Smoking robbed me of strength, stamina, and desire. I was blown away at the health effects of smoking. Needless to say I put them down Sunday night. I don't want anything to interfere with my hiking. I don't get out too often and I want each trek to count. Cancer did not scare me away from the smokes, loosing my relationship with the mountain did. Just thought I would share.

Images

I quit last wed morning. Its been tough, but i'm still hanging in there. Good Luck to you!!!

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    I quit last wed morning. Its been tough, but i'm still hanging in there. Good Luck to you!!!
    It might not seem like it, but after a week the worst is behind you. I quit 7 years, 3 months, and 3 days ago. It does get easier.

Images

200 packs of bubble gum helped me, I quit on the millenium. For the first 2 years I wanted to "enjoy" one.... but I kept thinking to myself... I can't carry that green bottle [oxygen] in my pack or Fishin' vest. I try not to be one of "those" none smokers, but now I gag just smelling some one who just finished one. I just can't figure out what I did with all that money?

Journal Entries

thanks for sharing... i'm down to two a day... 1 in the morning with my coffee, and 1 before i go to bed. wish i could quit... it's harder than anything (for me).... i wish you luck...., hell, i wish me luck... love/hate relationship!

Images

I quit 30 years ago. It amazes me that there are so many smokers on the AT. Young mainly but older folks too. It was a shock the first time. Not just stoners, regular cigarettes.

Images

I quit about 10 years ago. One of the last things I quit was clove cigs. Had a love affare with them. Just recenly I was in Asheville on a nice vacation when I decided to have one for the fun of it. The fun lasted about 20 minutes. Then I was sick to my stomach and wanted to vom. Never again.

I quit In 2003 july 4th,while on vacation and ended up in the hospital.Best thing I ever did for myself and for my family.Never go'in back,we all know where that leeds.Thanks for sharing.stay strong!

Images

Quiting smoking is one of the hardest things in the world to do. I quit for the first time when I was 34 and about ten more times after that. Been good for about 20 years now. Still cuss them when I start getting short of breath going up a mountain. Then I think about some of my friends that didn't quit. They don't have to worry about getting short of breath anymore. Just sayin.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Images

Wow, thought I was talking to myself on this thing. Thanks for all of the well wishing. I am a bit embarassed to have re-lapsed on tabacco after over 10 years. The truth is I have been sober for over a decade, and in a moment of weakness I went for something, and smoking seemed like the least to cause legal/social problems. But man oh man what a quick addiction. Keep on hiking yall, any clean / sober hikers out there?

Sober since Aug 18th,2003 life is so much better,harder but better.Don't miss it at all.I now do the things I always wanted to do,but did'nt know how with out alcohol.No more thanks be to God,gotta have aceptance. P.S. still can't spell though "that I can live with"

Images

I have a huge aversion to ciggarettes - they are sickening for me to even be around -- now "smoking" -- that's something entirely different.

Quote Originally Posted by keepinitsimple View Post
    I picked up a pack of smokes after over a decade of being clean. Why? Long short story- another time. I smoked for 3 weeks and then did a short loop hike near Bake Oven Knob on Sunday. It was brutal. Smoking robbed me of strength, stamina, and desire. I was blown away at the health effects of smoking. Needless to say I put them down Sunday night. I don't want anything to interfere with my hiking. I don't get out too often and I want each trek to count. Cancer did not scare me away from the smokes, loosing my relationship with the mountain did. Just thought I would share.
    In addition to the negative effects of reduced physical capacity, smokers in general are also more prone to catching colds, which also seem to run longer and take longer to get over than their non-smoking counter parts. And to gauge the damaging effects of cigarettes, I have read that a person could actually gain 100 pounds over their current weight and still not do the damage to their body that a one pack a day habit will do.

Images

Oh DapperD you reminded me of one drawback to ME stopping smoking, in these 11 years I have gained 15 pounds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Oh DapperD you reminded me of one drawback to ME stopping smoking, in these 11 years I have gained 15 pounds!!!
    They say smoking does help one to keep some weight off, but at what expense. You probably not only enjoy food so much more now, but also feel overall a lot healthier.

Journal Entries

i kinda guessed you were in the program when your sign is keepitsimple.... yep, 1 day at a time for me.... don't ever want that pain again..... good luck to ya!

Images

I smoked from age 12 to age 47. I've been off the things for 4 years now, and it's getting easier. I used to dream about smoking and there are times when I REALLY want to smoke but it happens less and less often. I quit for the same reasons, not having the wind to get up a hill or stairs. I quit using Chantix after trying cold turkey many times before. I used nicotine gum along with the Chantix for a while. Different people quit using different methods but that's what worked for me.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Images

I'll get "blista's on my finga's" listing all the positives to quitting.......I just wish I new where that money went!

I quit well over a decade ago. A few years back, I tried "just one", and literally fell to my knees in pleasure! I didn't keep at it, but I sure thought about it for weeks afterwards.

It's a serious addiction-- I still crave it. I won't start again, though, because I don't know if I could quit again! So glad I quit, though.

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I'll get "blista's on my finga's" listing all the positives to quitting.......I just wish I new where that money went!
    I work in a retail store and when someone buys a carton of cigarettes and spends between 45 and $50, all I can think of is what they could buy with all that money spent on cigarettes. Why I could even go UL with the money saved. But I don't smoke so I'll have to find the money elsewhere. Those of you trying to quit, hang in there. Think of the hiking gear you can buy with the savings.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++