WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jenpharr View Post
    This is so exciting!
    Nice to see the current record holder active on whiteblaze and commenting on other record attempts!

Maybe the WB community can help Jenn win the National Geographic Adventurer of the Year award?!?!
    http://adventure.nationalgeographic....r-pharr-davis/

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    How is it rubbish? Are you talking "per mile harder"? Obviously the AT is harder per mile. The PCT is mostly a pack trail. No horse could walk the AT.
    Horses could walk the AT, but for maybe 1 percent.

Depending on snowpack a horse would not be able to walk many sections of PCT. The reason trails that allow horses are so well graded is to prevent serious damage and erosion from hoofs digging up the trail bed.

No where on the AT during thru-hiker season is it harder than postholing for days at a time on the PCT.

I'm surprised no one mention the obvious person to be able to break the new record.

Jennifer Pharr Davis!

She hasn't even hit her prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Hell of a horse. That has not been my opinion and I've only done the "easy" part of the AT.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

I have to say................these mileage numbers are "stupid"............my current average is 12 miles/day

Will probably move forward in the future..................I think that Nature Boy was NORTH OF 40 before he got "willy"d" near Waynesboro

Maybe 45??

Images

Default 1 Percenters

Come on...... Give horses a bit more credit. There are few if any sections of the southern AT that horses couldn't travel and even the steepest part of trail that I have been on, Jacobs Ladder in NC, you could get a horse up or down that. You should read some of the stories of where the early Sierra travellers took horses, I've walked them and they make the AT look like horse play.

This whole AT vs. PCT argument is sort or silly. Given that no two years are the same on either trail there are huge variations in difficulty from year to year. There is no way for example that the AT was harder than the PCT in 2011. There was over 500 miles of snow and thousands of blowdowns not to mention dozens of raging streams and a few areas so overgrown that you can hardly call it a trail. My feet were wet everyday from June 15th until July 18th. I can remember saying many days that I just want to hike! (Not snowshoe without snowshoes or negotiate an obstacle course. ) There was actually a place that I had to cross a stream, snow and a blowdown all at the same time. But it was a remarkable difficult year, imagine miles of this!
    IMG_0843.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hell of a horse. That has not been my opinion and I've only done the "easy" part of the AT.
    A horse could make it from Springer to Dammascus a lot easier than most hikers. I don't know where a horse couldn't travel except for some sidehill rocky sections or a few notches in NH and ME and Katahdin.

Having four legs makes walking easier!

Quote Originally Posted by gg-man View Post
    Come on...... Give horses a bit more credit. There are few if any sections of the southern AT that horses couldn't travel and even the steepest part of trail that I have been on, Jacobs Ladder in NC, you could get a horse up or down that. You should read some of the stories of where the early Sierra travellers took horses, I've walked them and they make the AT look like horse play.
    1% is only 21.81 miles a horse couldn't do.

A horse could make it from Springer to Dammascus a lot easier than most hikers. I don't know where a horse couldn't travel except for some sidehill rocky sections or a few notches in NH and ME and Katahdin.

Having four legs makes walking easier!
    My hiking partner raises horses for a living. She said differently.

I haven't been on a horse since 5th grade.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Goes without saying you'd need a good trail horse and a serious rider. If horses were allowed on the AT they'd be all over it, and they'd be able to walk most of it.

If you are new to this site, let me say we only deal in the gaited breeds. Tennessee Walkers, Mountain Horses (Rocky and Kentucky Mountain), Spotted Saddle Horses and Missouri Fox Trotters. We have absolutely no preference in breed as a pleasure/trail horse. It is up to each individual horse! Temperament is the number one most important factor in what we offer as a reliable, safe and enjoyable pleasure/trail horse. Our location of operation is unique! We can ride out of our ranch into thousands of miles of mountain trails. Steep inclines, creeks, and encounters with wildlife are an everyday occurrence. This is our training grounds! If you don't see exactly what you are looking for in one of the mentioned gaited breeds, then please send me an e-mail or call.. We can find you the perfect match!

http://www.trailhorsesofthewest.net/
    Here's a thread about horses and steep trail.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=560699

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

All the trails are hard. Arguing over which one is the most difficult is STOOOPID.

BTW, they used to take horses up this nearly 5000' gain trail in New Hampshire. :O

http://www.summitpost.org/crawford-path/163214

Still almost the same trail for nearly 200 yrs and (as with most side trails in NH off the AT) arguably more difficult than the AT through the Whites.
    Last edited by Mags; 12-10-2011 at 16:46.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Matt Kirk,

Since you've thru-hiked twice already you have way more experience than I have, but working out the logistics of a hike like you proposed proved irresistable to me, so here are some thoughts:

Your first question, which towns/resupply points would be must stops? The towns with a decent number of services that the trail goes right through -- namely (in order for a south-bounder),

Hanover NH
    Dalton MA
    Delaware Water Gap PA
    Duncannon PA
    Harpers Ferry WV?
    Daleville VA
    Damascus VA
    Hot Springs NC

A second related question would be, which towns that are normally popular with thru-hikers should I avoid because they are farther away from the trail than is ideal for a walking resupply (again going SOBO)?

Stratton ME
    Rangeley ME
    Andover ME
    Manchester Center VT
    Vernon NJ
    Front Royal VA
    Waynesboro VA
    Fontana NC
    Franklin NC
    Hiawassee GA

So what would a hypothetical itinerary look like for a self-supported-no-motor-assist 60 day thru-hike?

Katahdin
    117.8 miles, 3 days, 39.3 miles per day
    Monson ME (2.2 miles off trail), Shaw's Lodging (bed, shower, laundry, meals, accepts mail drops)
    180.5 miles, 6 days, 30.1 miles per day
    Gorham NH (.1 mile off trail), White Mountain Lodge and Hostel (bed, shower, laundry, accepts mail drops)
    100.6 miles, 3 days, 33.5 miles per day
    Glencliff NH (.2 miles off trail), Hikers Welcome Hostel (bed, shower, laundry, accepts mail drops)
    43.3 miles, 1.5 days, 28.9 miles per day
    Hanover NH, Hanover Food Co-Op (food resupply)
    177.9 miles, 4.5 days, 39.5 miles per day
    Dalton MA, Cumberland Farms (limited grocery), multiple lodging options (bed, shower at least)
    102.9, 2.5 days, 41.0 miles per day
    Kent CT, .8 miles off trail to Kent Market (limited grocery), 1.6 miles off trail to IGA (full grocery)
    173.6 miles, 4.5 days, 38.6 miles per day
    DWG PA, Church of the Mountain Hostel (bed, shower), .6 miles off trail to Amoco (BP?) Mart (limited grocery)
    146.7 miles, 4 days, 36.7 miles per day
    Duncannon PA, Doyle Hotel (bed, shower, laundry, restaurant, accepts mail drops)
    144.2 miles, 4 days, 36.1 miles per day
    Bears Den Hostel VA, (.2 miles off trail) (bed, shower, laundry, accepts mail drops)
    113 miles, 3 days, 37.7 miles per day
    Loft Mtn. Campground and Store (SNP) (.2 miles off trail) (shower, laundry, limited grocery)
    161.2 miles, 4 days, 40.3 miles per day
    Daleville VA, (.2 miles off trail) Econolodge or Howard Johnsons (bed, shower, laundry, accept mail drops)
    103.1 miles, 3 days, 34.4 miles per day
    Woods Hole Hostel VA, (.5 miles off trail) (bed, shower, laundry, meals, accepts mail drops)
    152.5 miles, 4 days, 38.1 miles per day
    Damascus VA, Mt. Rogers Outfitters accepts mail drops, lodging, other services except grocery on trail
    50.6 miles, 1 day, 50.6 miles per day
    Kincora Hostel TN, (.2 miles off trail) (bed, shower, laundry, accepts mail drops)
    74.3 miles, 2 days, 37.2 miles per day
    Uncle Johnny's Hostel TN (Erwin) (bed, shower, laundry, accepts mail drops)
    68.1 miles, 2 days, 34.1 miles per day
    Hot Springs NC, multiple services including lodging and full grocery on trail
    32.7 miles, 1 day, 32.7 miles per day
    Standing Bear Farm Hostel NC, (.1 mile off trail) (bed, shower, laundry, accepts mail drops)
    103.9 miles, 3 days, 34.6 miles per day
    Nantahala Outdoor Center NC (bed, shower, laundry, restaurant, accepts mail drops)
    105.4 miles, 3 days, 35.1 miles per day
    Mountain Crossings Hostel GA (bed, shower, laundry, accepts mail drops)
    31.7 miles, 1 day, 31.7 miles per day
    Springer

All trips off trail are under a mile except for Monson, and that seems unavoidable (Katahdin to Gorham is an awful long carry between resupplies). A principle I use throughout is that it's better to get lots of services under one roof (like at a hostel or some motels), than to traipse all over a trail town for separate stops for food resupply, laundry, shower, etc.

The itinerary assumes that mail drops are in the spirit of a "self-supported" hike whether it is you or someone else at home that prepares and sends them. Reading through the FKT web site (that you linked to) distinctions between supported and self-supported hikes, mail drops seem to fall in the self-supported category. If you wanted to be a purist you could prepare and send all of them yourself before the hike (using foods with long shelf lives). Since all of the mail drops would be at businesses instead of post offices there would be no limit on how long they could be held for you.

You would want to consult a new 2012 guidebook like the AT Companion to make sure of addresses and that all the info here is still correct.
    Last edited by map man; 12-23-2011 at 12:16.

Images

Nice job Map Man! If I ever find myself going for any sort of record I'll be sure to recruit you for my logistics team!

Also, just another reminder to the Whiteblaze community to vote for our own Jenn Pharr as Nat. Geo. adventurer of the year! http://adventure.nationalgeographic....ear/2012/vote/

abol bridge campstore
    williams town/north adams
    6,000 deli's in N.Y./N.J. within 2 miles of the trail :-)
    pearisburg VA.
    theres more
    at neels gap, with 1 day to go,theres plenty of grub at the store to get you by.
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 12-24-2011 at 00:13.

Images

ya ever watch mantracker and what he puts his horse thru. sure it may not be a climb up mt albert but he does put the horse in some ruff spots..1% is an uderstatement to say the least..i guarantee the horse will find it easier to ford the kennebec than any of us humans...lol....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Matt Kirk,

Since you've thru-hiked twice already you have way more experience than I have, but working out the logistics of a hike like you proposed proved irresistable to me, so here are some thoughts:

Your first question, which towns/resupply points would be must stops? The towns with a decent number of services that the trail goes right through -- namely (in order for a south-bounder),

Hanover NH
    Dalton MA
    Delaware Water Gap PA
    Duncannon PA
    Harpers Ferry WV?
    Daleville VA
    Damascus VA
    Hot Springs NC

A second related question would be, which towns that are normally popular with thru-hikers should I avoid because they are farther away from the trail than is ideal for a walking resupply (again going SOBO)?

Stratton ME
    Rangeley ME
    Andover ME
    Manchester Center VT
    Vernon NJ
    Front Royal VA
    Waynesboro VA
    Fontana NC
    Franklin NC
    Hiawassee GA

So what would a hypothetical itinerary look like for a self-supported-no-motor-assist 60 day thru-hike?

Katahdin
    117.8 miles, 3 days, 39.3 miles per day
    Monson ME (2.2 miles off trail), Shaw's Lodging (bed, shower, laundry, meals, accepts mail drops)
    180.5 miles, 6 days, 30.1 miles per day
    Gorham NH (.1 mile off trail), White Mountain Lodge and Hostel (bed, shower, laundry, accepts mail drops)
    100.6 miles, 3 days, 33.5 miles per day
    Glencliff NH (.2 miles off trail), Hikers Welcome Hostel (bed, shower, laundry, accepts mail drops)
    43.3 miles, 1.5 days, 28.9 miles per day
    Hanover NH, Hanover Food Co-Op (food resupply)
    177.9 miles, 4.5 days, 39.5 miles per day
    Dalton MA, Cumberland Farms (limited grocery), multiple lodging options (bed, shower at least)
    102.9, 2.5 days, 41.0 miles per day
    Kent CT, .8 miles off trail to Kent Market (limited grocery), 1.6 miles off trail to IGA (full grocery)
    173.6 miles, 4.5 days, 38.6 miles per day
    DWG PA, Church of the Mountain Hostel (bed, shower), .6 miles off trail to Amoco (BP?) Mart (limited grocery)
    146.7 miles, 4 days, 36.7 miles per day
    Duncannon PA, Doyle Hotel (bed, shower, laundry, restaurant, accepts mail drops)
    144.2 miles, 4 days, 36.1 miles per day
    Bears Den Hostel VA, (.2 miles off trail) (bed, shower, laundry, accepts mail drops)
    113 miles, 3 days, 37.7 miles per day
    Loft Mtn. Campground and Store (SNP) (.2 miles off trail) (shower, laundry, limited grocery)
    161.2 miles, 4 days, 40.3 miles per day
    Daleville VA, (.2 miles off trail) Econolodge or Howard Johnsons (bed, shower, laundry, accept mail drops)
    103.1 miles, 3 days, 34.4 miles per day
    Woods Hole Hostel VA, (.5 miles off trail) (bed, shower, laundry, meals, accepts mail drops)
    152.5 miles, 4 days, 38.1 miles per day
    Damascus VA, Mt. Rogers Outfitters accepts mail drops, lodging, other services except grocery on trail
    50.6 miles, 1 day, 50.6 miles per day
    Kincora Hostel TN, (.2 miles off trail) (bed, shower, laundry, accepts mail drops)
    74.3 miles, 2 days, 37.2 miles per day
    Uncle Johnny's Hostel TN (Erwin) (bed, shower, laundry, accepts mail drops)
    68.1 miles, 2 days, 34.1 miles per day
    Hot Springs NC, multiple services including lodging and full grocery on trail
    32.7 miles, 1 day, 32.7 miles per day
    Standing Bear Farm Hostel NC, (.1 mile off trail) (bed, shower, laundry, accepts mail drops)
    103.9 miles, 3 days, 34.6 miles per day
    Nantahala Outdoor Center NC (bed, shower, laundry, restaurant, accepts mail drops)
    105.4 miles, 3 days, 35.1 miles per day
    Mountain Crossings Hostel GA (bed, shower, laundry, accepts mail drops)
    31.7 miles, 1 day, 31.7 miles per day
    Springer

All trips off trail are under a mile except for Monson, and that seems unavoidable (Katahdin to Gorham is an awful long carry between resupplies). A principle I use throughout is that it's better to get lots of services under one roof (like at a hostel or some motels), than to traipse all over a trail town for separate stops for food resupply, laundry, shower, etc.

The itinerary assumes that mail drops are in the spirit of a "self-supported" hike whether it is you or someone else at home that prepares and sends them. Reading through the FKT web site (that you linked to) distinctions between supported and self-supported hikes, mail drops seem to fall in the self-supported category. If you wanted to be a purist you could prepare and send all of them yourself before the hike (using foods with long shelf lives). Since all of the mail drops would be at businesses instead of post offices there would be no limit on how long they could be held for you.

You would want to consult a new 2012 guidebook like the AT Companion to make sure of addresses and that all the info here is still correct.

insanity.......................................... .................................................b ut a very breakdown...

Images

insanity.......................................... ......but a very good breakdown.....

trying to avoid motor vehicle support(rides to town)
    but will except maildrops from the post office, who used a motor vehicle to get you the package?
    seems a little silly :-) but HYOH is good enough for me, go for it!
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 12-24-2011 at 19:13.

Map Man, I want to commend you on your logistics for a self-supported hike. Awesome!

Jen, thanks for your comments!

Crumbsnatcher, interesting point on the legitimacy of maildrops. Any other thoughts out there? Did Scott Williamson use maildrops on his most recent PCT feat? Thanks.

-Matt

I have a hard time believing that a horse could hike parts of the rocky trail in PA.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++