WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Winter glove recommendations

Tell me which gloves you like for winter conditions on the middle-lower AT. Snowy conditions and temps maybe down to single digits.

I lost my other pair (forget the name) and there are so many to choose from, I thought I'd ask you old pros.

Images

I use two pairs, nice warm lightweight gloves and Mountain Laurel Designs eVent mittens, waterproof and incredibly warm............nice combo.

They are also great when hiking in the cold rain or snow, no gloves, just the eVent Mittens & poles.

Good gear

Images

I haven't been down to single digits, but I really like convertible mittens. They're much warmer than any gloves I've used, and they are warmer and more convenient when you need dexterity. Put them under a shell when needed and they should be a great combination.

1+ on mittens. May want to consider a waterproof outer shell (even Tyvek). Some just use a pair do wool socks.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Mittens (OR PL-400), merino wool liners, and MLD eVent mitts over that when necessary.

Army surplus mittens. The trigger finger is good for much more than shooting. The liners are light, the shells heavy, but worth it.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I actually veer from my don't replicate things and carry two of something in winter / possible snow conditions -- I wear patagonia glove liners while hiking and just day use -- when I need to work on something -- setting up camp, maybe dealing with a problem I wear Hestra Ski / Mountaineering Gloves - Hestra Gloves are made by a family company in Sweden - they are the best -- hestragloves.com/en-us/gloves/mountaineering/

Images

hestragloves.com/en-us/gloves/mountaineering/

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I simply have to have mittens. In fact, I'd rather have a mediocre pair of mittens than a burly pair of gloves.

I've tried all kinds of gloves and have yet to find a pair where my fingers don't go completely numb below 15* or so.

Lightweight polypro liner gloves with much warmer over-mittens have worked well for me. The warmth of mittens can be important, but you'll need to be able to spend some time without them while doing complex tasks light lighting a stove or dealing with tent poles. And the less time you have to go barehanded; the better (It probably won't get so cold that you can't spend a minute washing your pot barehanded if you get food stuck on it.)

For mittens, I used some that are almost like neoprene- they shed water very well.

If you prefer gloves and have contacts in Canada, you may find that some items are available for sale only in Canada and not in the US. ( I have no idea why, but you can't ship some types of gloves across the border). A trip to the local co-op there has paid off for me in the past.

Images

MITTENS!! or perhaps some fleece or wool gloves if it's not cold.
    Thin polypro liners so your fingers don't freeze when you need to take mittens off.
    Ragg wool mittens are good, single layer:
    .http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___92881. Double layer ragg wool mittens are easier to find but will often be too warm. Fleece mittens are ok too.
    Gloves and mittens WILL get wet, so two pair; if you can, size them so they fit over each other for really cold.
    Goretex shell mitts with no built in insulation to keep your hands dry traveling over snow. Falling into snow without these gets your hands cold and wet. If you have to use your hands pulling yourself up with branches or rocks then the thinnest (i.e., MLD Event shells) might not last. There are cheaper military surplus shell mitts that are waterproof but not breathable and these will do also.

Dachstein wool mittens are great also even in the wet, but they will often be too warm. I usually carry a pair on winter hikes as a backup. .http://www.sweatersintl.com/store/woolmittens.html.

Traveling over snow, it's always nice to have something on your hands for when they come in contact with the snow, sometimes just the shell overmitts.

If your hands or other body parts start getting too cold, it's a semi-emergency and you need to stop and fix the problem. Some people carry a few chemical hand warmers for this but you need to have enough insulation to keep them warm when the chemicals are exhausted.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by genetic claybuilding View Post
    Tell me which gloves you like for winter conditions on the middle-lower AT. Snowy conditions and temps maybe down to single digits.
    Rubber kitchen gloves for a vapor barrier, then either leather insulated work gloves or mittens.

Vapor barrieres really work.

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Dave View Post
    Rubber kitchen gloves for a vapor barrier.....
    Vapor barrieres really work.
    Breathable vapor barriers work, non- breathable ones can be dangerous in very cold conditions. Beware!

Images

I carry two, and sometimes three: a light pair of windproof gloves (Gore n2s) for hiking, to keep my hands warm in cold, windy conditions, a pair of Windstopper fleece gloves or mitts for camp, and if the weather conditions demand it, a pair of waterproof/breathable overmitts. Hoping for a pair of the MLD eVent overmitts in my stocking this year....
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Breathable vapor barriers work, non- breathable ones can be dangerous in very cold conditions. Beware!
    This is total crap. Vapor barriers work.

Images

And earlier in the thread, we can see why you are so mistaken about vapor barriers: you don't know how to use them.

1+ on mittens. May want to consider a waterproof outer shell (even Tyvek). Some just use a pair do wool socks.
    So your idea of a vapor barrier is that it goes outside your insulation, thereby ensuring that your insulating layer gets soaked with sweat. Vapor barriers go next to your skin so sweat never hits your insulation and your insulation stays dry. Vapor barriers work. Spokes' advices is dangerous. Neither one of those facts is too surprising.

Breathable vapor barriers work
    Breathable vapor barriers? Thats a contradiction in terms. Explain, please.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Umm, isn't the defining characteristic of a vapor barrier is that it's non-breathable?

What emergency blanket is breathable? That's a vapor barrier.

Never heard of an emergency blanket being dangerous in the cold...

Images

Your signature says "I brew the beer I drink", so I understand what you're trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Your signature says "I brew the beer I drink", so I understand what you're trying to say.
    Yep I have a Nut Brown ale and an Irish Red fermenting right now. heheheheheeeee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++