WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best 100 mile section in early December?

Any thoughts as to the best 100 (read 80 - 110) mile section in early December? I again have extra vacation and will have 11 days to play with. Thought about just attempting GA again but as I've done Amicalola > Neels I thought something new might be in order. I'm willing to travel but given the time of year probably won't be going *too* far north... Thoughts?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by High Jacker View Post
    Any thoughts as to the best 100 (read 80 - 110) mile section in early December? I again have extra vacation and will have 11 days to play with. I'm willing to travel but given the time of year probably won't be going *too* far north... Thoughts?
    How far is " too far north" ? I would suggest Shenandoah Natl' Park simply because at 105 miles in length seems ideal mileage wise.
    Also If there's bad weather where you need to get off the trail the AT runs parallel to the Skyline Drive with plenty of intersecting trails to the road.

One caveat is that the winter weather has already begun up there and early December is a few weeks away. Then again you might be lucky with just typical cold weather.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Fontana dam to Hot Springs, Thru the GSMNP ?

I'd go for SNP national park. its south, elevations aren't too high and even if it get's icy the trail is well graded.

Stir Fry

Neel to natahala is a goos section
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

let Jim Cantorie pick out the location. Go to the weather channel and find a place along the trail that will have 5 or 6 days of clear warmer weather with no snow or rain....then drive there and hike.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Damascus to Erwin or Davenport Gap to Erwin.

Journal Entries

There are many great sections listed here, but I will add one, great weeklong winter trip that is safe in terms of snowfall, Duncannon to Harpers Ferry. The elevation is low, so snowfall won't be a huge issue. It's 140 miles but 20 mile days are pretty easy on the route. Another good section might be Damascus north through mt Rogers. Kent Ct through Bear mtn bridge would be cool too.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

I was going to section hike from Bland to Damascus, need to postpone until Spring for business reasons.

I'll second the section between Bear Mtn. and Kent, or even NY 17 to Kent (just to hike through Harriman St. park). Flights from ATL to NYC aren't that bad and I'll put you up for a night on both ends if you want!
    2009 thru hike Blog ---- 2009 AT GA-ME, 2012 JMT, 2013 LT, 2016 AT flip flop, 2017 AT GA-ME

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Anywhere in VA

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Thanks all for the suggestions! Researching a bit more before making a final decision - thinking SNP due to the proximity of campstores and relative proximity to me (a drive vs a flight), though the relative lack of remoteness compared to other sections of the trail and the no fires thing is a bit off-putting. I certainly wouldn't build one every night but would be nice to have one or two while out on the trail... On second thought, perhaps more research is in order.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by High Jacker View Post
    thinking SNP due to the proximity of campstores , though the relative lack of remoteness compared to other sections of the trail and the no fires thing is a bit off-putting.
    Campstores & Waysides will not be open so I'd be prepared to carry/ cache food for the week you're out there.
    There are huts with designated fire rings about every 12 miles inside the park .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Thank you - was just reading the link in your sig line... Curious - are there any suitable drops along the way. As all will be closed, wonder if hanging may be the only viable option.

So the more I read the more it seems like Davenport to Erwin is a better bet. A food drop/resupply along that route will be much easier than in SNP. Also, have read glowing reviews of Hemlock Hollow. Will call tomorrow to see about winter operations.

PLUS, 10-K, looks from other posts that you're a FoB, no? Would love to meet up at the end of the trip for a quick meal before I hit the road. :-)

I had considered FD to HS but camping restrictions (only at shelters) in GSMNP discouraged me from doing so. I hammock camp and from what I've read I can't do that along the AT unless the shelters are full - a small chance in December. :-(

++ New Posts ++