WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Woody gap GA to Deep gap NC

Hey guys, Im planning a trip the week of Dec. 4th-10th from Woody Gap in GA to Deep Gap NC. From what I've read the best way to get to deep gap is US 64 to USFS 71. Also read somewhere that they close a gate during the winter time... Can anyone give me any insight on this as well as any advice to this section in general? Thanks alot!

Scott

Images

Not sure about the gate, but I did that section a couple years ago in march when there was a foot of snow and the scenery was great... Have a good trip!

Forest service road to Deep Gap NC is gated 1/1 thru 3/15 every year. So you're ok. Even during this time period you can always hike the Kimsey Creek Trail 3.5 miles from Deep Gap to Standing Indian Campground and take the paved road to 64.

Thanks for the replies guys. Cant wait to get out there. Hope the weather stays good for us.

Images

You're gonna freeze your ass off!!

Journal Entries

Just curious, how far is the paved road to 64? And if someone hiked all the way to 64 from Deep GAP NC on the AT, how far is it ? and estimated time from Deep GAP to I think 64 which is Winding Stairs? I am trying to plan a quick hike from Addis GAP to 64?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakseeker View Post
    Just curious, how far is the paved road to 64? And if someone hiked all the way to 64 from Deep GAP NC on the AT, how far is it ? and estimated time from Deep GAP to I think 64 which is Winding Stairs? I am trying to plan a quick hike from Addis GAP to 64?
    It's 8 miles from Deep Gap walking USFS 71 to US 64. It's 24.4 miles from Deep Gap to Winding Stair Gap on the AT.

Just curious, how far is the paved road to 64? And if someone hiked all the way to 64 from Deep GAP NC on the AT, how far is it
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    It's 8 miles from Deep Gap walking USFS 71 to US 64.
    If you hike the Kimsey Creek trail to Standing Indian Campground it is probably a couple miles to 64.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    If you hike the Kimsey Creek trail to Standing Indian Campground it is probably a couple miles to 64.
    Definitely a more scenic way to get to 64. It's about 4.5 miles from Deep Gap to Standing Indian Campground via the Kimsey Creek Trail. The campground is closed, so not much of a chance of getting a ride, although possible. It's 1.7 miles from the campground up Forest Development Road 67 to US 64 (at Wallace Gap) where the AT crosses US 64.
    If I knew no one was going to offer me a ride walking down USFS 71, yeah, the above would be better. But there is a fair chance of getting a ride on 71. Decisions, decisions!

Images

Correction: The Kimsey Creek trail is 3.7 miles. Seems a little longer than that to me . . . but that's what it's listed at. I've hiked it several times. So it's 3.7 mountain miles.

If I knew no one was going to offer me a ride walking down USFS 71, yeah, the above would be better. But there is a fair chance of getting a ride on 71. Decisions, decisions!
    But not 1/1 thru 3/15 which is why I think the question was asked.

Journal Entries

Thanks! What I am after is a pickup point on 64 but am trying to decide if I want to walk on the AT or just stop at Deep GAP and where it is best to do this. Just to confirm, If I walk the AT and want the " AT miles" it is 24+ to (Wallace GAP ?) which is where it crosses 64 ? and where I would have someone waiting to pick me up? If I want a quick way out go the Kimsey Creek Trail and FS 67 to Wallace GAP? Just want the options depending on the weather next month....

Images

Thanks! What I am after is a pickup point on 64 but am trying to decide if I want to walk on the AT or just stop at Deep GAP and where it is best to do this. Just to confirm, If I walk the AT and want the " AT miles" it is 24+ to (Wallace GAP ?) which is where it crosses 64 ? and where I would have someone waiting to pick me up? If I want a quick way out go the Kimsey Creek Trail and FS 67 to Wallace GAP? Just want the options depending on the weather next month....
    The AT does a big horseshoe around this "headwaters of the Nantahala River" valley. That is why you can take Kimsey Creek (leaving the AT) and get to Wallace Gap walking about 6 miles. With the AT it's about 21 miles around this horseshoe on the AT to Wallace Gap. Notice in my previous post I said 24.4 to Winding Stair Gap, which is US64. Wallace Gap is on Old US64, a turn off of US64 about 2 miles West of Winding Stair Gap. It's about 3-4 miles after turning off of US64 onto Old US64 to Wallace Gap, marked by the large Standing Indian Campground sign @ Forest Development Road 67. So you can: 1) leave the AT at Deep Gap and reach Old US64 (Wallace Gap) in 6 miles, 2) Stay on AT another 21 miles to Old US64 (Wallace Gap), or 3) Stay on AT another 24.4 miles to US64 (Winding Stair Gap). So from Old US64 to US64 it's 3.4 miles via the AT.

Images

Old US64 is also known as Old Murphy Rd (as US64 is also called Murphy Rd).

http://g.co/maps/nn5g3

You see W Old Murphy Rd going off to right of US64 in this map link. Then in the middle of the map you see Forest Service Road going south. It is at that junction that is Wallace Gap. Not hard to get to. I have no idea why Old Murphy Rd changes to Allison Creek Rd a couple of times!

Images

Also, if you drag the map down a little bit and slightly to west, you'll also see the Deep Gap Rd (USFS 71).

Journal Entries

Also, if you drag the map down a little bit and slightly to west, you'll also see the Deep Gap Rd (USFS 71).
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. JUst an F Y I....I just got this email too for all those that may need the info to consider.

.....You can get to Bly Gap from Shooting Creek, no problem. If you look at it from google maps, there is a road off of Old Hwy 64 E by the Fire Station called Eagle Fork Rd. You follow that road back to where you meet the first Forest Service gate on a closed off road heading up to the left. It is just past some farms. If you go too far, you will run into a dead end at another Forest Service gate. It is important to go slow and follow the signs for Eagle Fork Rd. There is one point where Eagle Fork kinda veers to the left at a three-way split. It is the middle of the roads, but is easy to miss. I think it is at the intersection of Sally Gap.

Journal Entries

Awesome! Thanks for the info. JUst an F Y I....I just got this email too for all those that may need the info to consider.

.....You can get to Bly Gap from Shooting Creek, no problem. If you look at it from google maps, there is a road off of Old Hwy 64 E by the Fire Station called Eagle Fork Rd. You follow that road back to where you meet the first Forest Service gate on a closed off road heading up to the left. It is just past some farms. If you go too far, you will run into a dead end at another Forest Service gate. It is important to go slow and follow the signs for Eagle Fork Rd. There is one point where Eagle Fork kinda veers to the left at a three-way split. It is the middle of the roads, but is easy to miss. I think it is at the intersection of Sally Gap.
    Continued from previous post....As for the trail itself, it is not a flat easy hike to the top. After the FS road ends and you are on the hiking trail, it is pretty much straight up the mountain. The Forest Service road splits at one point, and you want to stay right. The hiking trail itself is fairly easy to follow. I believe it had a few blue blazes, but as long as you stay on the more traveled path, you will be fine. You pretty much follow a stream up the mountain. There is one point where the hiking trail splits fairly soon after it stops being FS road, and you take a left instead of straight. After a few minutes you hit a tee and take a left. If you look right, you will see lots of downed limbs and trees blocking the path. After that it is really easy to follow on up. The last hundred yards before you hit the AT you have to go through a thick patch of plants. You will come out right at the famous Bly Gap tree. Left is north, right is south. All told the hike from bottom to AT was about 2.5 miles or so. Depending on your speed it will take 1.5-2 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    You're gonna freeze your ass off!!
    Haha, So far it looks like it. But its the only vacation time I could get!

El Sordo
    Images

so let us know how that road to Bly Gap turns out for you.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    so let us know how that road to Bly Gap turns out for you.
    Do you know something I should know?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++