WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Yak Trax, Micro Spikes, or??

I'll be hiking from Spinger on 1/1/12 & I plan on bringing some type of traction gear, I've never owned any so please help with the best & the pro & cons. FYI - I'll be wearing Keen Targhee II's if that comes into play

Thanks
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

You will like the Micro Spikes better than YT. If you go with the Yak Trax go with there top version (whatever they call that now).

Also consider the Stablicers. I have not worn these but I got my daughter a pair and they worked for her perfectly. I think they are very practical for when back at home too.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I can't comment too specifically on your situation, however if you are going to buy one or the other, go with micro spikes, I've got a pair and love them I've also used them on several A.T. winter overnight trips.

I wouldn't bother with Yak Tracks if you are backpacking, too light duty and not enough grip. IMO they're more geared for use around town in the winter.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

nut driver and a package of sheet metal screws........cheaper and lighter -if not then Kahtoolas hands down, although yak's now have microspikes too, but not as rugged. ICEtrekkers have a diamond bead design that looks interesting, Stabilicers are good if you are shovelling your driveway i guess.

Savoring Happy!

Before the advent of Micro Spikes I used every model of Yaks made. It was a constant chore to keep them repaired and they tended to pull to the front of the boot on sharp inclines or step ups. Since Micros came out I've never tried anything else because I didn't have a need to. They're durable, stay put on your boot, and remain pliable in very cold weather. Good luck on your Trek. The wooly worms and persimmon seeds say we're going to have a ball bustin winter. Check out Kayak Karl's journal from 2009 for an idea what's in front of you with a mid winter start. Savor Happy!

TaTonka
    I am Who I am because I've been THERE .

Default yaks

I second No RELAY and the others. Game are just to light weight for hiking. They are great for a couple of miles but break down. Also stay away from the ones they sell at Costco as they slip way to easy during hiking.
    SweetAss

Journal Entries

Kahtoola has just come out with a snow shoe and spike combonation and the wt. is around 2 lbs. Whats neet about this set up is if conditions change in the weather lets say snowy conditions, then you can wear the combonation. If it becomes icey, then you just wear the spikes and cary the snow shoes on your backpack. When the weather changes, you then send the Kahtoolas home.

Micro Spikes
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Images

I broke my YT's only a few days in to my snowy hike from Springer a couple years ago... Get something more study with chains n spikes...they hold up much better

Journal Entries
    Images

pixel.gifpixel.gifAlthough I have two Yak Trac - I don't consider them for hiking - more for clearing the driveway.

Hiking? - go with the screw idea or do this PARTS
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I certainly was in the right.
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    You will like the Micro Spikes better than YT. If you go with the Yak Trax go with there top version (whatever they call that now).
    Yaktrak XTR http://www.yaktrax.com/xtr

Images

Another vote for Microspikes.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

I've been using the same pair of Stabilicers for years. Do NOT get the sport version, they constantly slip off, but instead get the ones with the velcro straps.
    They're easy to put on and take off even with gloves on, and get great traction.

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    I've been using the same pair of Stabilicers for years. Do NOT get the sport version, they constantly slip off, but instead get the ones with the velcro straps.
    They're easy to put on and take off even with gloves on, and get great traction.
    The Stabilicers served my daughter very well on the icey passes on the JMT this year. VERY easy to take on and off and store flat in the pack. They seemed a bit heavier than the Microspikes but I do not have the weight numbers at hand. I think the Stabilicers would serve very well at home/work in icey conditions. The Microspikes would be overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I can't comment too specifically on your situation, however if you are going to buy one or the other, go with micro spikes, I've got a pair and love them I've also used them on several A.T. winter overnight trips. I wouldn't bother with Yak Tracks if you are backpacking, too light duty and not enough grip. IMO they're more geared for use around town in the winter.
    +1, completely agreeI don't know if snowshoes are ever necessary at the time you are starting, but suspect they might be needed at times in the smokies.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

ain' nuthin' butta' peanut hambone5126's Avatar
    Images

those yaktrax xtr's look pretty cool. im wondering if having the spikes attached to a plate like that is an advantage over the microspikes setup. and theyre a half ounce lighter
    anyone used both to compare?
    It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.
    -Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I'll be hiking from Spinger on 1/1/12 & I plan on bringing some type of traction gear, I've never owned any so please help with the best & the pro & cons. FYI - I'll be wearing Keen Targhee II's if that comes into play

Thanks
    I have Yaktraks and Micro Spikes. I have not used the Micro Spikes enough to have an opinion except that they take up more room in the pack than the Yaktraks do. For that reason, I usually carry the Yaktraks.

The only problem I have had with the Yaktraks is that they sometimes come off without your knowing it. I solved that problem by connecting the sides of the YakTraks with a piece of twine across the top of my boot.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by hambone5126 View Post
    those yaktrax xtr's look pretty cool. im wondering if having the spikes attached to a plate like that is an advantage over the microspikes setup. and theyre a half ounce lighter
    anyone used both to compare?
    I really don't like the plate idea. I bet snow and rocks manage to wedged in there, unless your foot size is at the higher end of the range. I much prefer the open design of the Microspikes.

I went on a winter hike with two other hikers. One had Yaktracks - garbage on anything with any angle to it - he took them off and walked through the low blueberry bushes to get traction. Stabilicers - another hiker had them and was fine, though they were heavy. I had on standard 8 point strap on crampons (though I wore trail runners with them as an experiment) and I could've walked up walls, basically.
    With any snow depth over ice (unless it has stuck to the ice - usually happens with wet snow over ice) the wearers of both Yaktracks and Stabilicers couldn't get any grip on the ice beneath and the dry, soft snow under their boots would allow their feet to slide. Since my crampons had longer points they could grip the snow through the ice and I didn't have any problem with up to 3 inches of unconsolidated snow on ice over rocks. The Kahtoola Microspikes would be somewhere between the Stabilicers and full-on 8 point crampons, imo, and would be better suited to soft footwear than crampons, which limit flex in the boot (or running shoe) sole.

Camp is the brand that I use. Here's a list of currently available crampons: http://www.camp-usa.com/products/cat...s/crampons.asp

The magix 8 is an updated version of my current crampons.
    Last edited by Tinker; 11-25-2011 at 15:57.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

ain' nuthin' butta' peanut hambone5126's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I really don't like the plate idea. I bet snow and rocks manage to wedged in there, unless your foot size is at the higher end of the range. I much prefer the open design of the Microspikes.
    after looking at them a little closer last night that was one issue i thought might come up. it looks like ill be getting microspikes.
    It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.
    -Sir Edmund Hillary

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++