WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
    I didn't think about that. Good point.

I should get my Moment today so I will have a Notch, SS1, and Moment all at my house. I think I'm gonna set them all three up and take a picture of them, look at each one and think about all the different points then make my decision. I will say I am leaning pretty heavy towards the SS1 though at this point.
    I'd love to see a pic of that. Let us know what you decide.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Not that most folks are thinking about it this time of year, but I've sat in a few solo tents where it would be very easy to accidentally put your back or other tasty body parts against the mosquito netting while sleeping nearly naked (or maybe not so nearly) in the heat of summer. Just a thought I figured would be worth bringing up.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I've sat in a few solo tents where it would be very easy to accidentally put your back or other tasty body parts against the mosquito netting while sleeping nearly naked in the heat of summer.
    I used to routinely use a bug dome that covered my head, shoulders and upper body (and then draped over the midsection of the sleeping bag. One night, asleep, I stretched out my arm so the forearm lay touching against the netting. Woke up with dozens of mosquito bites. Only needed to happen once.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Not that most folks are thinking about it this time of year, but I've sat in a few solo tents where it would be very easy to accidentally put your back or other tasty body parts against the mosquito netting while sleeping nearly naked (or maybe not so nearly) in the heat of summer. Just a thought I figured would be worth bringing up.
    I thought about that when trying out the Notch. With the SS1 it wouldn't happen.

BTW my Moment comes on the 5th, not the 3rd like I thought. I will put them all up this weekend and take a pic.

Got the Moment. First impression...WOW it sets up fast and easy! It took longer to roll it up and put it back in the stuff sack then it did to setup.

As far as size, it felt less constricting than the Notch. The floors are about the same width in the shoulder area but the walls on the Moment don't narrow like they do on the Notch so I could reach up and scratch my face or adjust my pillow without touching the walls. The Notch almost immediately felt too small to me, the Moment did not. When I got in the Notch my first thought was 'oh, I don't think I could do this' and my first thought in the Moment was 'oh this isn't bad, I could deal with this'.

So this weekend I am going to set all three up and try them one more time but I am pretty sure the Notch isn't going to work for me and I am deciding between the smaller, slightly lighter, super fast setup Moment, or the larger, more ventilation, double wall SS1.

It really boils down to are you willing to give up the plush space, maximum ventilation, double wall of the SS1 for the extreme fast setup, freestanding ability and simplicity of the Moment.

Quote Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
    Got the Moment. First impression...WOW it sets up fast and easy! It took longer to roll it up and put it back in the stuff sack then it did to setup.

As far as size, it felt less constricting than the Notch. The floors are about the same width in the shoulder area but the walls on the Moment don't narrow like they do on the Notch so I could reach up and scratch my face or adjust my pillow without touching the walls. The Notch almost immediately felt too small to me, the Moment did not. When I got in the Notch my first thought was 'oh, I don't think I could do this' and my first thought in the Moment was 'oh this isn't bad, I could deal with this'.

So this weekend I am going to set all three up and try them one more time but I am pretty sure the Notch isn't going to work for me and I am deciding between the smaller, slightly lighter, super fast setup Moment, or the larger, more ventilation, double wall SS1.

It really boils down to are you willing to give up the plush space, maximum ventilation, double wall of the SS1 for the extreme fast setup, freestanding ability and simplicity of the Moment.

A question that has dogged mankind for some time now....actually, one that I would like answered ))

I set them all up together today and blew up my mat and it helped make up my mind to keep the SS1 because of the space and ventilation, mainly the space. It just fits me better, the other two I think I would be slightly uncomfortable for me. Sorry I didn't get a picture, rain cloud was coming over and I wanted to.get the two I am now going to sell put up before it rained.Just to restate it so anyone reading this thread is sure to see I am 260 lbs, size 50-52 jacket, 6' tall so not small. I think even big guys might be fine in the notch or moment, a lot of it is preference and I get a little closterphobic feeling sometimes.

I wonder if you could hang a Lightheart Solo tent upside down and thread a hammock through it. Hmmmmmmmmm. Wouldn't need the fly since the floor would become one.

HEY JUDYYYYYYYYYYYYYY...........
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Been following this thread with interest. Been looking for a light tent and thought I wanted the TT Notch.

After reading the two of you discuss how tight the Notch is, I am having second thoughts! I am 6'2" 290LB.

The TT Moment looks time consuming to set up and dial in?

StratoSpire 1: why not just go with Squall 2 for the same weight?

Just when I thought I had choose a Tent! Not sure what I should do now?

Images

Tarptent Squall 2 34 ounces

I have been out in some pretty nasty storms and this tent has been pretty weatherproof. Misting has been a LITTLE bit of an issue but nothing too concerning. Would like to go to a cuben fiber tent. Lighter, more waterproof, expensive.

Would like save some more weight............trying to justify spending $500 on new gear, at or below 20 ounces for a more waterproof shelter is tempting.

The Mighty Tiberious
    The Moment is the easiest/fastest shelter I have set up .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWZQK...2&feature=plcp
    I can (on a speed test...) do the Contrail in the same time but on avarage the Moment is faster.
    The Notch is somewhat similar .
    here is a size comparison between the Notch, the SS12 and the Contrail .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIt1O...2&feature=plcp
    The Squall is a two person version of the Contrail
    Franco

Thanks Franco.

Nice job on the videos.

You have been in all 3? Do you think the Notch is too small for a guy my size? I roll around a lot. Side sleep. With out trying them out I do not think touching the net while moving around would bother me. But if I get shut in due to bad weather I do not know how I will feel about extend non sleep hours in a small tent? Would hope I would be in a shelter?

Priority is light weight. Shelter is full back up tent. Fast set up. Bug protection in hot summer.

Starting Thru Feb 15.

Because of our difference in size TyTy may have a better perspective .
    The Notch apex is at 43" so for a start I you should compare that with the tents you have used possibly if they had a similar apex shape (IE pointed not flat)
    The SS1 has another 5" more .
    The sides if you don't mind touching the net should be OK, there is room at either side between that and the fly .
    However if you have a lot of biting insect resting against the net may not be ideal and one of the reasons why I don't like the non shaped bugnets.
    You could do what TyTy did, get the two with the understanding you will send one back. It will just cost you the return postage.
    Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Because of our difference in size TyTy may have a better perspective .
    The Notch apex is at 43" so for a start I you should compare that with the tents you have used possibly if they had a similar apex shape (IE pointed not flat)
    The SS1 has another 5" more .
    The sides if you don't mind touching the net should be OK, there is room at either side between that and the fly .
    However if you have a lot of biting insect resting against the net may not be ideal and one of the reasons why I don't like the non shaped bugnets.
    You could do what TyTy did, get the two with the understanding you will send one back. It will just cost you the return postage.
    Franco
    The only place I felt constricted in the Notch was in the shoulder arm area. Not particularly when I laid still or in any sleeping position so much, mainly when I went to raise my arms, say to scratch my face, adjust my pillow etc. When I did those things my arms had to touch the netting to get to my face and that kind of freaked me out, made me feel claustrophobic. The netting on the Notch kind of narrows a little as it goes up. With the SS1 the walls of the netting are straight up so you get the full 32" or more side to side and all the way up to the roof. I probably could have dealt with the Notch but being a little claustrophobic of a person I leaned towards taking on a little more weight and setup for the luxury of the extra room. The other luxury that I obtained that I am pumped about is the ability in the SS1 to sleep with both doors completly open yet still be covered from a little rain drizzle or dew.

Good post TyTy, DelQ

Maybe I should try both and see if I can return the one I am not going to use?

Still looking for a Pack that will fit my larger frame. Created a new thread under packs

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80427

I appreciate everyone's help.
    -TJ (Mighty)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty Tiberious View Post
    Good post TyTy, DelQ

Maybe I should try both and see if I can return the one I am not going to use?

Still looking for a Pack that will fit my larger frame. Created a new thread under packs

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80427

I appreciate everyone's help.
    -TJ (Mighty)
    so which is it, 290 lbs or 385 lbs just messin!!!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

I have the Moment and used it my section hike in the 100 mile Wilderness and extensively in the UK. I had the Contrail before which I used on the AT and the JMT. I have also had a Golite Tarp on the AT. I find the Moment the better set up, the floor space is certainly adequate and the headroom beats the other set ups. A major plus is that shape and lack of guylines make it easier to find camping spots.i.e no long lines to get mixed up in undergrowth.

Was 290 now 285. Miss typed a 3 out of habbit. Use to be 305+.
    6'2". Carry my weight like thick guy with a belly.
    Never been above 315 LB.
    Shoulders are 59" around.
    Walking 2.5-4 miles everyday for prep. I know the first month is going to be slow and sore.

I hope to drop enough to squeeze into XL sizes. Before leaving. No clue how much weight I may drop on a Thru Hike? 30-45 LB?

Hope to set out for GA Feb 20 plus or minus 5 days?

Still have not choose my bag, pack, tent or stove.

Want: Western Mountaineering, ULA? Or Jam, Notch (too small for my shoulders) rethinking, JetBoil.
    Have posts in those subjects.

Not a Ultralight but hope to use the techniques to get base under 24#

Everyone has been a lot of help on WB. Avoided some costly mistakes.

Was going to use a 12 year old heavy synthetic bag. 4.5 LB
    Big Mistake.

Was going to Choose a pack from a local shop that would have been 4 LB heaver then needed. Mistake!

Was looking at a 4 Lb tent think it was light. Mistake!

Was NOT going to take Walking Poles.
    ?Mistake from what I read I may have just saved my knees?

Regular Tarp. Mistake. Going to use Tyvex.

Big Hiking Books. Mistake! Too long to dry out. Blisters?
    Going to take light Trail Runners as back up and use my Chaco's (sandals as main foot wear) with a water proof sock for cold rain most of the trip. Nothing I have ever wore is as comfortable and boot like.

Other Data books. Mistake! Hands down everyone seems to prefer The AT guide by AWOL. I thought AWOL was just the name of a Travel Essay about the AT.

Regular compression sack for sleeping bag. Mistake!
    Might have had a few wet nights?

I could go on. Thanks White Blaze users. Keep the great info coming.

-TJ. Mighty Tiberious

If you feel that the Notch is too small, as discussed, I would think that most solo shelters will be , so maybe for the extra 7 oz the SS1 might still be one to consider.
    Franco

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++