WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: instant coffee?

Images

Default instant coffee?

Is there an instant coffee that taste like real coffee?

Images

I haven't tried it because I don't pack a stove and would be happy with low quality instant coffee anyway, but other backpackers give Starbucks Instant Via high marks.

Images

Default There's likely a debate brewing

I have tried Starbucks and Folgers Singles , both are fine by me . Folgers prolly gets the nod if im picking just one.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Companion Dovetail swears by Starbucks. Great for short hike but pricey for the grand adventure.
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Images

Since you're asking this question, you obviously aren't serious about a really good cup of coffee. If you are, there are several French Press options that allow you to brew real gourmet coffee. I love my Jetboil French Press add-on. As the commercial jingle goes . . . "the best part of waking up is gourmet coffee in your Jetboil!" OK, I improvised a little! But if you're set on sticking with instant, I have also heard that Starbucks is decent.

In my receint couple weeks hike in the SNP I brought Folgers singles and Starbucks....

The Starbucks were vastly superior to the Folgers, but one night I shared the shelter with a guy named Mark.

He snored so bad that even after my nightly ration of cognac AND ambien... I still got very little sleep.

I woke to his stirring the next am... he was not on my list of favorite people.....

Then he pulled not only a jetboil from his pack, BUT a coffee grinder! He brought out beans from starbucks!

I watched as he ground and placed the coffee into his jetboil french press....

In an instant he went from 'the snoring oaf who kept me up all night' to 'the best guy ever' when he uttered the sentence;

"Hey man, I have plenty of coffee here, would you care for a cup?"

Do not underestimate the value of a good cup.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    Lots of WB discussion on this topic, if you wish to do a search.
    I've been happy with "Taster's Choice 100% Colombian"; just today bought a new box of the single- serving tubes. I find it drinkable and very convenient.

Images

Starbucks Via has pretty much become the thing and I usually carry a few but, I'm not so into this "corporate coffee" chain and don't choose Starbucks regularly -- I did buy a few jars of this and it really is very very good -- I drink it black,but it has an almost natural "creamy" character -- if you want to get fancy with a little powdered milk, I'm sure that would be good too: here is the link:

http://www.kitchenkapers.com/medagli...html?src=gprod

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    In my receint couple weeks hike in the SNP I brought Folgers singles and Starbucks....

The Starbucks were vastly superior to the Folgers, but one night I shared the shelter with a guy named Mark.

He snored so bad that even after my nightly ration of cognac AND ambien... I still got very little sleep.

I woke to his stirring the next am... he was not on my list of favorite people.....

Then he pulled not only a jetboil from his pack, BUT a coffee grinder! He brought out beans from starbucks!

In an instant he went from 'the snoring oaf who kept me up all night' to 'the best guy ever' when he uttered the sentence;

I'm glad I don't drink coffee so I don't have "coffee issues" to contend with. I was however addicted to coca-cola, that was a tough habit to break...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'm glad I don't drink coffee so I don't have "coffee issues" to contend with. I was however addicted to coca-cola, that was a tough habit to break...
    It's not an "issue" that you have to "contend with" if you love it and know how to make it happen!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post

Best trail story ever.... were you dreaming?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Starbucks Via is good, but expensive. I get a small plastic jar and fill it with hot chocolate mix and Folgers instant: 1 pack chocolate to 1 heaping teaspoon of coffee. I like cafe mocha and this keeps it simple, plus, I don't have a bunch of trash to hike out. I can adjust the strength as needed.

I've also seen the hot chocolate mix with caffeine added, but that seems a bit much to add to instant coffee.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

It may seem a little off the wall but there is an instant coffee named G7. It can be found at oriental markets or possibly the international section at large grocery stores. I drink it at home it is that good. It is a 3-in-1 with cream and a little sugar already in it.

Journal Entries

The best I ever tasted and still use on my thru hikes is JavaJuice. It a consentrated liquid coffee in a sealed packet and makes one 6oz cup of coffee. Go on line and Google JavaJuice.

Instant Bustello mixed with hot chocolate packet

Images

I don't drink coffee often, and not at all on the trail, but I might start using it during winter hikes to move my bowel movement from early morning to a warmer part of the day.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    Probably not, Starbucks Via is the closest, but the packets are extremely strong, tastes good when brewed with twice the water recommended. My advise is either lower your standards and accept the instant stuff for what it is, or insist on real coffee and give the French press a try.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Default i'd make a million!

dehydrated Diet Coke---if only I could market this!

I have tried many ways of making coffee on the trail. Starbucks VIA gets my vote. But don't buy it at Starbucks. It has become more widely available. Shop around. Costco carries it for one.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++