WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Cool How-To: Add ridges to a Fosters can

I recently did a video on how to add ridges to a Fosters can and I figured I would share it here. This method would be an alternative to those Fosters pots with bead rolled ridges...not as pretty but it works and it adds strength to those cans.

Great video mangus, I rushed to my kids tool set right after I saw your video but ...no luck. I have been looking for somthing simular to the gold hammer use but can't seem to find one. Any help with the actual name of the hammer would be great. I will be going to the dollar store sometime this week to look for one. When I look up ball hammers all I get are ones that look to round. Thanks for the help..
    Four-O

These ridges don't look as deep as on Zelph's cans...but that may be an advantage...when I saw Zelph's my first thought was that if you put anything in there but clean water you'd never get the container clean again because food would get stuck in the ridges. Your process seems to create a shallow indentation that would be much easier to get clean.

Quote Originally Posted by four-o View Post
    Great video mangus, I rushed to my kids tool set right after I saw your video but ...no luck. I have been looking for somthing simular to the gold hammer use but can't seem to find one. Any help with the actual name of the hammer would be great. I will be going to the dollar store sometime this week to look for one. When I look up ball hammers all I get are ones that look to round. Thanks for the help..
    Four-O
    Thanks! From what I have seen others do, they have used a combination of washers an bolts...see attached pic for reference (pic from PackBacker81 on HF.net).

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    These ridges don't look as deep as on Zelph's cans...but that may be an advantage...when I saw Zelph's my first thought was that if you put anything in there but clean water you'd never get the container clean again because food would get stuck in the ridges. Your process seems to create a shallow indentation that would be much easier to get clean.
    You're right. Since this was done manually and the limitation of the tool I used, the ridges aren't too deep but the indentations are sufficient enough to add strength to the can. I haven't seen Zelph's version yet but from what I've seen on the videos, they are quite deep.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Lid/Rim

Hi Mangus,
    Great video! Do you know a video that shows how to remove the lip/rim of a given can? I know how to install them but I'm confused about how to remove them from other cans efficiently.
    Thanks,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by druss15 View Post
    Hi Mangus,
    Great video! Do you know a video that shows how to remove the lip/rim of a given can? I know how to install them but I'm confused about how to remove them from other cans efficiently.
    Thanks,
    Dan
    I know Tinny from MBD had a video a while back on how to remove the added lip, however, this meant destroying the can to get to it. I figure that once it's on, there would be no reason to remove unless the can is damaged and time for replacement.

This works perfectly.

Images

Nice video, I like it. thank you!!!!

Hey everyone, just registered to say I found the green plastic hammer used by Mangus7175 in the video and wanted to share.

It comes from a toy kit called Dig a Glow Dinosaur, I found it for just a few dollars at my local Walmart and it is also on Amazon. I hope this helps anyone who needs it.

Hey everyone, just registered to say I found the green plastic hammer used by Mangus7175 in the video and wanted to share.

It comes from a toy kit called Dig a Glow Dinosaur, I found it for just a few dollars at my local Walmart and it is also on Amazon. I hope this helps anyone who needs it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by idotmyi View Post

Great, I'll have to try one. Thanks for the heads up

Flat Bottom Foster can full size

Images

Magnus, now try putting ridges on the bottom of your Foster can like in this video:

Wish I could...I'm not that skilled without proper tools

It looks really good, I've actually been eyeing one of those. I may need to just buy one for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mangus7175 View Post
    Wish I could...I'm not that skilled without proper tools

It looks really good, I've actually been eyeing one of those. I may need to just buy one for you.

Think hard and you'll be able to succeed. Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained. Don't give up!!!!

++ New Posts ++