WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Anyone experienced with INOV8? vs SAL. QUEST 4D

Hi folks, hope everyone is staying warm with the beginning of December. I have a question I'd like to pose to anyone with experience with either the INOV8 390 (or similar models) or the Salomon Quest 4D. I'll be purchasing one of the 2 for my through-hike. I found a deal on the SAL's for 175, and have tried them on in person. They feel great, but weigh around 2 lbs. Not a bad weight, until compared w/ something like the INOV8 which weighs 13 oz. That sounds like a dream for my hiking legs, but I'm a bit worried about the durability of a boot that is that light.

I'm also aware that no matter what boot I choose, they won't last me the whole way. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience w/ these boots and can comment on the durability/comfort. Especially the inov8, as I've never even seen them in person.

I'm a person who runs in 5 Fingers and loves that feel, and I have a slightly wide foot - which could be accommodated by that large toe-box the INOV8 boasts.

Any and all input welcome! Many thanks,

Rowan

inov8 - http://www.zappos.com/inov-8-roclite...-tex-navy-grey
    quest - http://www.backcountry.com/salomon-q...07=Search&008=

Images

Both of those have EVA midsoles, so that means the padding will go flat after 300-500 miles just like any running shoe. Durability is rarely a problem when you replace shoes that frequently.

The 390 does not have a wide toebox, although I wouldn't call it especially narrow. It's not really a boot either. The discontinued Roclite 370 was basically a high top version of the Roclite 315 shoe. The Roclite 390 is simply the 370 with a goretex liner. If you want a wider toe box, try the Terroc 330 or Roclite 295.

I the Second Rocklite 295's especailly once you get to NH and Maine. I would go with the Terroc's in PA

Images

Sadly, I have wide feet and Innov8 would not fit..............LOVED what I bought, wear them occasionally, awesome light, if they come out with shoes in wide I will be in. AND...........never wore liners and regular hiking socks.

Images

Del Q, what Inov-8 shoes did you have? They have different lasts that fit quite differently.

++ New Posts ++