WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

If anyone happens to want to do a long section, 10 days to the whole thing, on the SheltTrace, in Oct-Dec 2012 and wants a partner, please contact me. I don't mind walking alone but would like to camp and do shuttles/resupply with a buddy or two. i'm experienced sectioning the AT and am happy with anywhere from 12 to 18 miles per day when I get in the groove. Also would consider a BMKaye hike in this time period as well as any scenic part of the AT north of Damascus.
    Edwin

I traveled to KY and hiked with the gang on the Trace the 24th and 25th. It was a well organized hike set up by Traildust. I believe we had a total of 19 or 20 hikers that joined up on the trail. The first section was a river walk and have a varity of paths along the river and river banks. It got down in the 20's Saturday night but the sun was shining all day Saturday and Sunday. Sunday's hike was a little like parts of the AT with ups and down and lots of great rock formations to take photos of. I enjoyed the hike very much and will try to make another one with the group as soon as I can. Met Rainman from nashville on this hike.

I may be up for an oct/nov trip. I might be doing some of the Tahoe rim Trail with my brother in law sometime around there, if I cant do the sheltowee, you are welcome to join us. I am waiting for hi to give me dates, it depends on his work schedule. we will probably do ten days on the TRT.

Let me know

Restlesss

Images

March section hike will be March 23, 24, 25 from U.S. Rt 27 parking lot to Dog Slaughter Falls. If you want to come along please email your info to [email protected].
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 58starter View Post
    Met Rain Man from Nashville on this hike.
    And here's the photo to prove it! It is amazing how many times I set foot on a trail and right away run into a WhiteBlazer! Was so nice to do so on this trip too and to meet Traildust and Starter58 in person!

Traildust has his hand raised. Starter58 has green/black jacket, gloves, and WKU cap. I'm next to him. This was Saturday morning around 9:15 on Beech Grove Road and the Sheltowee Trace. We all hiked to Yamacraw Bridge, where I got my truck I had left the last weekend after the snow hit, and drove home to Nashville. Starter58 and the rest kept on hiking.

RainMan

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rain Man; 03-02-2012 at 20:30.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I may attempt to travel KY again on the next hike at the end of March, if there is anyone from Central Florida who would like to go I would love some company driving up and back.

Images

April Hiker Challenge is April 20 -22.
    A little slack packing and night hiking planned for the April 20-22 Hiker Challenge. The 27 mile hike will feature a Friday night slack pack - night hike of five miles from the start point at Mouth of the Laurel back to the campground at Holly Bay Marina. The Sunday shu...ttle pick up point and end of this section is at the Trailhead on Rt 1956. Cost is $25.00 per person to cover the campsite fee and the shuttle fee. Hikers should meet at Holly Bay Marina Campground, check in with the hike leader. Early arrivals can go ahead and set up their tents. Late arrivals should plan on just dropping their gear (stored in a safe facility) and come on to Mouth of Laurel. The slack packing night hike will start at 7:00 from Mouth of the Laurel.
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Images

May Hiker Challenge
    Section to be hiked : Rt 1956 Trailhead in the vicinity of London Ky., to S-Tree Campground.

Shuttle Plans: Subject to change, we would like everyone to meet at S-Tree on Friday night no later than 6:30 so we can get transported back to start point and hike in about two miles to campsite at Hawk Creek. If you prefer you can go straight to 1956 and park and hike in to the site. Shuttle back to get your car at the end of the hike will be arranged.

Equipment: Please pack for the weather and for a weekend journey. Still some packing as if they were going for a week. Watch your food supply, the most obvious place you can cut.

Facts about this section: Hiking this section will take you across Cromer Ridge on old Rt 909 to the crossing at Exit 49 of I-75. This is an easy hike across old Forest Roads and on county roads over the Wildcat Mountain - lunch stop on Saturday. Then you are on more old county road for a while over to Winding Blade Rd., before you head back into the woods and stop for the night near mile 119. Sunday's hike will take you past Lamero over to Lick Creek and onto S-Tree.

Challenge Fee: At this time to be determined.

This is the time to get on board as we move further north across sections few normally hike because they are off the beaten path.

Register here with name and email and phone.

Map of Cromer Ridge project is attached.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5358371.pdf_________________
    Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    It's the weekend of May 18-20.
    I'll be on the AT hiking through Maryland, after visiting my daughter and son-in-law in DC.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

535760_3999986035817_813816221_n.jpg

Captain Blue! Congrats to Andy Niekamp of Kettering Ohio on the completion of an End 2 End hike of the Trace. 280 miles hiked in 27 days (21 hiking days and 6 zero mile days). The first known thruhike of the Trace in 2012. Great job Andy. The STA is proud to add your name to our Thruhiker Registry.

Images

I live in London, if anyone wants to do the secction by Laurel Lake, let me know.

Images

JULY HIKER CHALLENGE

Looks like heat and humidity, matched with distance, will make the July Hiker Challenge well a challenge. This month's section gives you a taste of road walking, a journey through an oil field, and a finish on one of the natural wonders of Kentucky.

Hikers will meet on Friday night at Natural Bridge State Park - parking lot right off Hwy 11 where the Trace comes north from the Park lake area between 6:00 and 6:30. If you choose you can come direct to Pine Crest Lodge just off Rt 52, our rally point for the weekend.

To help us with the heat and the challenge of a 13+ mile road walk, we are inviting volunteers and loved ones to come along and be our road crew on Saturday and then meet up with us on Sunday at Natural Bridge, on the Bridge for the final walk down to our vehicles.

Volunteers will help with an early morning breakfast on Saturday morning, and a "Road Kill Feast" on Saturday night, and a light breakfast on Sunday. They will also run the road route back and forth, following our progress with safety vehicles to make sure everyone is getting enough fluids and making it possible for those that wish to slack pack the Saturday road miles on a hot as cccc day in July.

Hikers are on their own to make their reservations at the Pine Crest Lodge - 606-464-2309. Leave a message if you don't get someone and they will get back to you. The have hostel rooms, camping on platforms, camping on the ground, semi-private rooms, private rooms. Your choice. This is a perfect section hike to get your spouse out for a little day hike and a chance to see some of the Trace.

Cost for the weekend is $25.00 for meals on Friday night, Saturday morning and night, and Sunday breakfast and the cost of the shuttle. Please let us know if you will be joining us and when you will arrive.

Hike on Saturday morning will leave the Lodge at 0700 for the trail to get a head start on the day. If you would like to go early and break up the weekend into 3 ten mile hikes we can accomodate that schedule.

Remember this is not a guided hike but the STA does do the coordination to assist in making the hike safe and enjoyable for all. According to the trail guide the distance for this hike is :

Saturday - Hale Ridge to Pinecrest Lodge : 18 miles
    Sunday - Pinecrest Lodge to Natural Bridge: 16 miles
    Same information is posted on Facebook. Please let me know when you are going to arrive so we can make plans accordingly. There is really no place to camp if you start early on Friday since the area next to road near the local stream is all private land.

Steve Barbour
    Executive Director, The Sheltowee Trace Association
    www.sheltoweetrace.org 606-584-7744