WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Sunflower seeds equals littering?

I like to eat sunflower seeds while hiking. My kids say I am littering by leaving a trail of shells along the trail.

Are my kids correct, or am I offering nature back what was already hers? Don't they decompose quickly?

Personally I don't see it as littering, though I would not drop them all in the same spot, but spread them out so other hikers don't see a big pile of shells.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

...Years ago there was a thread on Paddling.net about discarding orange peels in the water...

If I recall correctly it went on for a dozen pages and evolved into personal threats.

Seems some folks have very different ideas about what 'Leave No Trace' means... for some
    it kinda discourages the dumping of major kitchen appliances in the woods... Others seem to advocate packing out the air you exhale.

Seems to me like organic matter is pretty harmless, we will see what others think.

they seem to breakdown pretty fast under my birdfeeder. I'm with you on this, tell your kids it's "organic littering". Orange peels in water!! I bet they take a long time to break down.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

I don't think it is littering. It will be consumed into the earth with out negative effect. <BR><BR>Now if you follow Leave No Trace to the T then leaving something behind that doesn't naturally appear there, would be a no no. <BR><BR>I've seen worse things than sunflower seeds. Someone left a big old cushion out there.

Images

If you are littering, you're in the same company with about a million squirrels!

Hike smarter, not harder.

Tell your kids to lighten up!
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by BoiledPeanut View Post
    I like to eat sunflower seeds while hiking. My kids say I am littering by leaving a trail of shells along the trail.

Are my kids correct, or am I offering nature back what was already hers? Don't they decompose quickly?
    nah, it ain't litter. i toss peanut shells to the side as i walk

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Tell your kids to lighten up!

If it's a pile of shells inside a shelter, it's litter.

Otherwise it could have been carried there by an African or European Swallow.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Images

I wouldn't want to see them on the trail because that would be distracting/annoying after a while, but it's organic so I don't have a problem with it if I don't see it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    ...Years ago there was a thread on Paddling.net about discarding orange peels in the water...... Seems to me like organic matter is pretty harmless, we will see what others think.
    I consider orange peels to be litter. Bright colored. Dumped right in sight, just like paper litter. Not good. If I see stuff like that, I pick it up and pack it out, and sometimes mumble under my breath about the cretins who can't be bothered and think they are superior to all others, who should pack their litter out for them.

NOW, if the orange peels are buried, truly hidden, or otherwise out of sight, I don't have a problem, as they will decompose. I do toss shells of nuts, but I toss them, I don't just drop them on the path. That is plain rude.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Garlic
    Images

I agree, no big deal broadcasting a few seed hulls into the woods. If it basically belongs there, it's not litter. I'll toss the occasional apple core into the woods, especially if apple trees grow in the area. But I get upset when I see a citrus rind or banana peel right next to a break spot. Sure, it will eventually decompose (weeks?), but it looks bad until it does, and it does not belong in the North American woods.

Last month I saw a huge pile of apples at a spring-fed watering hole in a high conifer forest above the desert. It looked like someone was trying to attract deer to hunt or poach. The apples were rotting in the water. Disgusting litter, spoiling the water, worse than the empty beer cans where the "hunter" was waiting. It was easy to pack out the cans. "Natural" materials can be litter, too. How about a pile of lumber dumped in the forest? It all depends on scale, and perception.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

An Apple core is that litter????

Leave no Trace's stance is if you bring it in with you.....you should carry it out.

-

I would try to spit for distance, same as an apple core, organic material so unseen has no chance to offend/harm

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone View Post
    An Apple core is that litter????

Leave no Trace's stance is if you bring it in with you.....you should carry it out.
    LNT stance is mostly foolish

According to Wikipedia:

"Cigarette butts are the most littered item in the world, with 4.5 trillion discarded annually".

Images

I understood that citrus peels take a very long time to decompose if left on the trail. Animals wont eat them. Apple cores will get eaten. I have heard people say that bears will pick up human scent from a discarded apple and relate food to humans but I think it is more likely that mice will eat it first. Mice are everywhere in the forest. LNT makes good sense although I have always had a tough time with the TP .

I think people should focus more on Sustainability and less on "leave no trace".
    What I like about orange peels, is that people are buying oranges instead of oramge drinks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I think people should focus more on Sustainability and less on "leave no trace".
    What I like about orange peels, is that people are buying oranges instead of oramge drinks.
    we went to the moon, just so you could still go on eating real oranges?Do you know how many millions of dollars were spent developing Tang?

as long as theyre scattered, theyre not litter.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++