WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nerves of Jelly

Default Nerves of Jelly

Hey Guys and Gals,

Some close friends and myself are planning on doing a thru hike starting in May when we all graduate from college. I've been hiking and camping all my life, but I can't seem to shake this nervous feeling about starting a 2200 mile journey and finishing. I'm just curious if everyone else feels this way when they first start, or is this a sign that I really should reconsider. Just asking advice and a little guidance.

Thanks,
    B

It's only natural. It's fear of the unknown. It's the what ifs. What if this, what if that. What if I get hurt. What if I don't finish. It's pretty common. All you can do is try.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

I felt like that too and I took five years researching, test hikes, buying all the gear, etc. I think(my opinion only) that once youre physically on the trail, youll be a little less anxious; more ready to start hiking day in and day out for a long time. And it will be so much fun for you, I hope. And I have been backpacking since 1995. I have a passion for the AT. I think you do too and MOST of the members here also!
    skinny d

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I haven't thru-hiked, but I get that same feeling on the first day of any hike that's over a week long. So long as you've got experience camping and backpacking and therefore know what you're getting yourself into, just take it as a sign that you've got a good grasp of what's to come and are being wisely cautious. Good luck and have fun!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by CBass View Post
    Hey Guys and Gals,

Some close friends and myself are planning on doing a thru hike starting in May when we all graduate from college. I've been hiking and camping all my life, but I can't seem to shake this nervous feeling about starting a 2200 mile journey and finishing. I'm just curious if everyone else feels this way when they first start, or is this a sign that I really should reconsider. Just asking advice and a little guidance.

Thanks,
    B
    you're overthinkin' it. it's just walkin'

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    if you really wanna feel nervous, try going to Marine Corps boot camp. walkin' the AT is just a vacation

One good slogg in the rain day,and you'll be fine.If you find youself gettin' nervous,go take a walk out side....barefoot,try it works great.

My 2 cents: you may agree or disagree , but words of wisdom always are welcome...

http://www.warrendoyle.com/ATBook.html

if you really wanna feel nervous, try going to Marine Corps boot camp. walkin' the AT is just a vacation
    Preach it brother....and Semper Fi from another Jarhead!

...wait until the end of the first week when you think...***!

geek

this is ridiculous...and pertinent only after one has walked 2100 miles in one stretch. Until you do it, you cannot imagine doing it. I agree that after the fact it really isn't that big of a deal but on the front end of the hile most people are nervous.

Compare it to the Marine Corps.Most of who haven't been in the corps know several marines or ex-Marines as well as soldiers and sailor so the idea of being a Marine doesn't seem that abstract or incomprehensible.

Compare that to the average joe on the street....how many people does the guy living in Topeka or El Paso or Akron meet who ever hiked 2100 miles in one stretch? I know I had never met anybody who had until I started seeking them out. I imagine living in Damascus and working at an outfitter probably skews your perspective somewhat as you do see a few hundred people every year who do the hike but if you move away from the trail and trail towns it's a completely different story.

In summary, the typical Joe probably knows many people who served in the military, including those who served in combat situations, but has never met a thru hiker so thus a thru-hike seems more daunting than it actually will turn out to be. But the prospective thru-hiker isn't aware of this yet.

please note: I am not being disrepectful of anybody who has served in the military. Just responding to your glibness and pointing out why most if not all people thinking about the hike seem a bit intimidated by the task.also, the 80% washout rate - which is something that even the Corps doesn't have despite the difficulty involved with being a Marine.with all that being said, I thank you and all veterans for their sacfifice and service to this nation.

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    this is ridiculous...and pertinent only after one has walked 2100 miles in one stretch. Until you do it, you cannot imagine doing it. I agree that after the fact it really isn't that big of a deal but on the front end of the hile most people are nervous.

Compare it to the Marine Corps.Most of who haven't been in the corps know several marines or ex-Marines as well as soldiers and sailor so the idea of being a Marine doesn't seem that abstract or incomprehensible.

Compare that to the average joe on the street....how many people does the guy living in Topeka or El Paso or Akron meet who ever hiked 2100 miles in one stretch? I know I had never met anybody who had until I started seeking them out. I imagine living in Damascus and working at an outfitter probably skews your perspective somewhat as you do see a few hundred people every year who do the hike but if you move away from the trail and trail towns it's a completely different story.

In summary, the typical Joe probably knows many people who served in the military, including those who served in combat situations, but has never met a thru hiker so thus a thru-hike seems more daunting than it actually will turn out to be. But the prospective thru-hiker isn't aware of this yet.

please note: I am not being disrepectful of anybody who has served in the military. Just responding to your glibness and pointing out why most if not all people thinking about the hike seem a bit intimidated by the task.also, the 80% washout rate - which is something that even the Corps doesn't have despite the difficulty involved with being a Marine.with all that being said, I thank you and all veterans for their sacfifice and service to this nation.
    huh? walkin the AT takes time, noney and desire. it ain't a big deal

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    One good slogg in the rain day,and you'll be fine.If you find youself gettin' nervous,go take a walk out side....barefoot,try it works great.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. There is going to be anxiety for anyone attempting to do a hike of this magnitude, especially if they have never been out hiking for long periods of time. This is normal. But like Rocketsocks says, once you get out there in the elements, it will pretty much be sink or swim and the reality of the situation will sober up your anxious mind real fast If anything, I would think having to travel long distances to get to the Terminus to begin one's hike would wind up being the most distressing. That and being able to find and purchase sufficient and decent food once the trip begins. Just make sure you have adequate gear, including a portable shelter of some type, and enough money so as to want for nothing once you begin hiking until you finish.

Take a pill Francis....the comment made by Lone Wolf was more of one to put CBass at ease. Of course one should prepare themselves for such a challenge. One that I think Lone Wolf has done several times. His comment was more to stop overworrying about the hike. Relax a little. Be prepared, but moreover enjoy yourself! In fact, something you should also consider.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I can see the reason for some nerves. You're starting pretty late. May, you'll have to crank out the miles to get to ME before the snows. Not much fun in that. It will get really hot and humid fast. I'd wait 'til June and do a SOBO and take your time. Hope you all take your own gear and not rely on each other as the main motivating factor as friends have a tendency to drop out.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Start date: March 13, 2012 Stats 2012's Avatar

I am attempting a thru this March, and despite two years of thinking, constant prep and I often find myself asking, "What the hell do I think I am am doing?!"
    http://atstats.blogspot.com

"There are many ways to hike the Trail. Your way will be best.” -- Carolyn Cunningham

Quote Originally Posted by Procras108r View Post
    Take a pill Francis....the comment made by Lone Wolf was more of one to put CBass at ease. Of course one should prepare themselves for such a challenge. One that I think Lone Wolf has done several times. His comment was more to stop overworrying about the hike. Relax a little. Be prepared, but moreover enjoy yourself! In fact, something you should also consider.
    you are wise

Start date: March 13, 2012 Stats 2012's Avatar

Sorry. Accidentally hit the Post button. I was saying:I am attempting a thru this March, and despite two years of planning, hiking and prepping, I often find myself asking, "What the hell do I think I am am doing?!" I counter the nervous jitters by thinking back on my and my wife's plan to have children. We knew parenthood was going to be a long, rough road but we knew it would bring with it immeasurable joy, too. If there were a WhiteBlaze-like forum for would-be parents, no one would ever have kids. If would-be parents were told every little thing that could possibly go wrong, or that would be painful and gross regarding child rearing, no one would have kids. And yet, the species repopulates itself because we take things one day at a time. In small doses, nearly everything is doable. No one walks 2,181 miles all at once!I assume my nervousness means I am more likely to finish my hike because I appreciate the magnitude of the undertaking. I just can't allow myself to dwell on the entirety of the trek. And for goodness sake, don't look at the elevation profile of the entire Trail all at once!
    http://atstats.blogspot.com

"There are many ways to hike the Trail. Your way will be best.” -- Carolyn Cunningham

Thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail is a fantastic adventure and it's natural to get some butterflies before you arrive at the Trail.

But what activity can you do or what challenge can you take on other than a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail that will have you thinking about it for the rest of your life? Heck, I still think about my thru-hike every day -- something will come about that will cause me to think about my AT thru-hike every day. I really had a blast on my AT thru-hike -- one of the most pleasant, challenging, sometimes frustrating, memorable experiences I've ever had. I can't imagine having spent the time doing anything else other than having thru-hiked the AT when I did.

If you're wanting to take action to get over the butterflies, take your full backpack out and hike with it overnight on a regular basis (like, every two weeks or less). That's what I did to get over the willies before I started my AT thru-hike. And go for the hike regardless of the weather (assuming your not in the refrigerator of northern Minnesota).

Also, keep in mind that the real challenge for most is the mental challenge of an AT thru-hike. So, the more you hike, usually the more fun that hiking becomes and the less the metal challenge seems when you're actually on your AT thru-hike.

Datto

Quote Originally Posted by Stats 2012 View Post
    Sorry. Accidentally hit the Post button. I was saying:I am attempting a thru this March, and despite two years of planning, hiking and prepping, I often find myself asking, "What the hell do I think I am am doing?!" I counter the nervous jitters by thinking back on my and my wife's plan to have children. We knew parenthood was going to be a long, rough road but we knew it would bring with it immeasurable joy, too. If there were a WhiteBlaze-like forum for would-be parents, no one would ever have kids. If would-be parents were told every little thing that could possibly go wrong, or that would be painful and gross regarding child rearing, no one would have kids. And yet, the species repopulates itself because we take things one day at a time. In small doses, nearly everything is doable. No one walks 2,181 miles all at once!
    And that is how it is smart to approach it. Take it one day at a time. You already know that there will be good days, and that there will be some not so good. You may have nasty cold wet weather one day, and the next day have warm dry weather with exorbitant sunshine. Some days the terrain will be miserable, with long steep rocky climbs, and other days the terrain will be mild with say gentle rollling hills or plenty of flat ground to make good progress. It all comes down to being able to learn to deal with the adversity that will most assuredly present itself. If you can do that in a calm and logical way, then you will continue to make progress. And as long as you remain healthy and injury free, and are able to remain happy and positive then you will most likely continue to press on and ultimately be successful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++