WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default sore feet bottoms

I am hiking often, twice a week, in the GSMNP. The problem is that the bottoms of my feet get sore. I am wearing Merrill Moab Ventilators, with Superfeet inserts.

The question is: do I need stiffer soles or softer insoles?

The trails vary from muddy to rocky but generally it makes no difference after about 5 miles.

Col R

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Are the Superfeet well broken in? If not, they'll make the bottomos of your feet pretty uncomfortable. Trust me, I learned this the heard way.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I to have merrils and to me they are very stiff but have alot of lateral stability a good thing.The green super feet I could not wear (to stiff)and was aloud to return them,(bought at EMS).EMS and most gear stores have a great return policy,no questions asked,even if item is used.Like hooch said maybe let em break-in,I did not do that,did"nt accure to me to do that.I to have had stiff flat bottoms of the feet and got some inserts custom made from my dotor.Turns out I have "planter facieitis" and over pronation alog with some other stuff that I won't even attempt to spell.But the good news is that ther is a ton of info on the net.The one that has helped me the most at the end of a long day hiking was to take water bottle out of the freezer and roll your foot on it,it sooths and streches at the same time.good luck.

I have almost 200 miles on these inserts. I think they are broken in. I have consulted a Doc about foot problems and there are none.

Col R

I would say after 200 miles they are very broken in.This whole insert thing has become a very huge market,Over 30 years in construction I have worn many different brands and was always looking for that perfect one,as did all my friends.And the best ones to date are the ones that were molded to my feet,though not cheap,150 bucks all said and done.try some others,and do some streches and good luck hope you find one that works for you.

touch down Cowboy's

sorry watch the game to

Quote Originally Posted by colonel r View Post
    I am hiking often, twice a week, in the GSMNP. The problem is that the bottoms of my feet get sore. I am wearing Merrill Moab Ventilators, with Superfeet inserts.
    Are they the Gore Tex Moab Ventilators or the regular ones? I have found that these perform very differently. On me, the Gore Tex version tends to bend/collapse in the middle when taking a stsep and are uncomfortable. The regular ventilators are wonderful - never had a problem. But shoes are so personal. YMMV.

Images

Muscle (plantar fascia) soreness or bruising soreness?

Journal Entries

i have the exact same problem... blisters don't bother me to much, but my last hike my feet were so sore, i could'nt half walk for about a week... someone on this site suggested putting rubber bands in the places where your foot has the most pain... this has worked for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ekeverette View Post
    i have the exact same problem... blisters don't bother me to much, but my last hike my feet were so sore, i could'nt half walk for about a week... someone on this site suggested putting rubber bands in the places where your foot has the most pain... this has worked for me.
    Rubber bands? Good you elaborate a bit. You mean wrapped around your feet or under the soles or what?

Quote Originally Posted by ekeverette View Post
    Would you explain a little more about that? How do you put them on? Over or under the socks? How big of rubber bands?

Thanks!

I had a similar problem with Merrels two years ago and reluctantly switched to Keen's on advice from another hiker, and I've never regretted it. The Keens (I wear the Voyager with Super Feet inserts) are a little heavier than the Merrels but my feet never hurt and the quality is very good. just my 2 cents.
    2009 thru hike Blog ---- 2009 AT GA-ME, 2012 JMT, 2013 LT, 2016 AT flip flop, 2017 AT GA-ME

thanks for the many comments. The soreness is from bruising.

R

Images

in all likelyhood you need a stiffer insole. I have the same shoes, but I find my keens are much more comfortable, especially when navigating trails with lots of rocks and roots.I find shoes whose soles hardly flex at all give me the longest lasting comfort.

Images

How old are the shoes?

Journal Entries

about the rubber bands.... you put them under the insert in the places where your feet are being pounded. it added the extra cushion....

Journal Entries

as far as the size rubber band.... the middle size.... not the real small ones... and not the large ones.... sorry i did'nt reply right back... had to go to work... but this really help me.... it was suggested on this site.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colonel r View Post
    thanks for the many comments. The soreness is from bruising.

R
    Thanks for answering. Since bruising is the problem, I would think that a stiffer sole is the answer. I've seen many reviewers of minimalist shoes mention bruising, and also about how rock plates are supposed to reduce it. An interim solution may be to make your own rock plate by cutting out a piece of plastic to put under your insole. I've heard of thru hikers using milk bottle plastic for this. I've never had foot bruising, which really surprises me since I switched from boots to racing flats on my hike last year while being a heavy trucker in more ways than one.

the shoes are less than a year old. bought last Jan. I like the idea of a rock shield. Hiking tomorrow but not time to fit something tonight.

R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++