WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Questions about my AT Adventure

Hey,

Short intro.....I am new to the AT, but have a good amount of experiance with outdoor survival and hiking. It has always been a goal to hike the AT and can finnaly begin!
    I am considering starting my thru-hike in January, but am wondering if this is a good idea.(obviously waiting for spring for would be smarter)
    ... but i know its possible and I feel that i am prepared. I would just like some advice from some experianced AT hikers that could help me make my decision.
    So any and all advice is welcome and appreciated .. THANKS
    -lotusxninja

You might enjoy waiting until between the second week of March and second week of April. That is when most people start. The weather will be warmer, and basically, because you are 20 years old, you may have more fun with the folks that are starting out then. It is more of a party atmosphere. Plus it will give you a few more months to train and prepare.

With that said, if you are set on starting in January, start at Springer. There will still be plenty of cold weather in Georgia, but there are areas of the northeast that are closed down that time of the year and you will not be allowed to pass. In that case, the best advice I can give you is to bring a map, compass, tent, 0degree SYNTHETIC sleeping bag, and your cell phone.

@njordan2

I greatly appreciate the advice. Although i am very anxious to begin my journey I have a feeling that i will be waiting for spring. Because everything that ive been told not only from yourself but everywhere i read is saying its best to wait. Thanks alot for your input..

Images

The small number of miles you'll be able to do in the winter, the burden of carrying a heavier winter load and the lack of fellow hikers may quickly discourage you to the point of getting off the trail. While you might be able to push through these obstacles, I would advise waiting.

Images

Depart in January, and you can experience the black flies in Maine.

If you have to ask if starting in Jan is a good idea, it isn't. If you don't already have winter hiking/camping experiance, it is a really bad idea. Even for those with winter experiance, most find out that trying to do a thru-hike and dealing with the cold 24/7 is a lot different that just doing a short one or two nighter. And then there are the winter storms to contend with, which can be nasty...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If you have to ask if starting in Jan is a good idea, it isn't.

Yeah. This nails it.

Many people, especially northerners, expect southern winters to be mild and sunny, like South Florida. We get lots of college kids on spring break who hit the mountains of Georgia and North Carolina expecting warm days and cool nights, and they aren't prepared for the winter conditions. January is worse, and the nights are longer to boot.

I know it's *really* hard to wait, but if you can start at the end of March you'll likely have a better experience.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

You also have a better chance at seeing wildlife if you start later.

Images

Even Starting mid march on my thru I got hit with two snowstorms in Smokies. Nothing major, 6" each time. Second one hit last day i the park & by the time I hiked down the ridge to Davenport Gap Shelter I was in spring again.

You'll be miserable in Maine if you start that early, that's a fact. Chill and start later.

My mind is definitly made up. haha.. i will wait. thankyou all forthe advice

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Enjoy your hike, stay safe, keep healthy and have fun.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

"Outdoor survival" skills aren't necessary on a hike like this and if anything, they may get in the way. Do yourself a favor and leave your giagantic knife, your hatchet and any idea you are going into some kind of rugged, untamed wilderness that requires wilderness survival skills at home. The survival skills you're really going to need are hitchhiking skills, pizza ordering skills, credit card usage skills.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I did met an older guy who started in January and really took his time (9 months to complete). If you have lots of time and money and are willing to take it slow, ie motel stays in snow storms then why not.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Start later, you'll be better off. Less cold, snow, loneliness, darkness, and stuff at the end...(like mud in VT, high water, bugs in ME etc)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

If you look in the per-year thru-hiker class threads you'll likely find long threads on this very topic, of starting early. In my year (2010) the discussion was about starting in February, but a lot of the same discussion happens for that dynamic. Here, just for example, is that one: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?54534-Raise-your-hand-if-you-re-starting-your-thru-in-February!
    You can almost certainly find such discussion (about starting early) in the "class of" 2011 and 2012 areas as well.

FWIW, I started in late Feb in 2010 and found that to be a good choice for me, but indeed, a relatively early start isn't for everyone.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Default Hike your hike.

I'd say this works. Take the path less traveled.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    "Outdoor survival" skills aren't necessary on a hike like this and if anything, they may get in the way. Do yourself a favor and leave your giagantic knife, your hatchet and any idea you are going into some kind of rugged, untamed wilderness that requires wilderness survival skills at home. The survival skills you're really going to need are hitchhiking skills, pizza ordering skills, credit card usage skills.
    I pretty much agree with sbhikes that what most people call "outdoor survival skills" are usually a combination of some military hog-wash and bravado - stuff like trapping large game and building fires with rocks. Real outdoor survival skills are as mentioned. I'll add: how to sleep warmer when needed, keeping dry, staying hydrated, taking care of your feet, pacing yourself -- pizza ordering - that's pretty good -- THOSE sorts of "survival" skills are import.

++ New Posts ++